Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2020, 14:29   #46

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: Places only a monohull can go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
I haven't owned one but I'm generally a fan so I'll admit the blue water comment wasn't from firsthand experience like you've obviously had. I didn't realize any had made it as far as Australia. Out of curiosity did you (or someone) sail it there or was it shipped?
Mine was sailed from San Diego to Hawai, Tonga, Fiji, New Caledonia, Vanuatu, Bundaberg, Qld, By the previous owner,
He trucked it from Brand New across the USA to San Diego,

I bought it in Fiji and sailed it back to Bundaberg, Qld for Customs,
I lived on it for about 3 months full time, Crossed three oceans in it,
Sailed Approx 3000 Nmiles in it,

Then down the coast to Port Stephens where it got wrecked at anchor in a violent storm, (Tasman Sea)
Then I trucked it to Melbourne, Repaired it,
It now lives at Western Port Bay, Victoria, Australia,
Bass Straight is my cruising ground, Between the Southern Ocean and the Tasman sea,

This was my first serious shake down cruise after getting it back in the water,
I took it through the RIP into Port Phillip Bay and back to Western Port Bay,
Via Bass Straight,
Seriously, If it wasnt such a good Blue Water vessel, I wouldnt be here to tell you about it,
Ive had it in 20 foot waves in the Coral sea on the way home,

Tony Smith the builder took one across the North Atlantic to England, in 2002,
The main reason I bought mine,
Then he ripped out all the Cherry wood panelling in them, making them lighter,
Mine was one of the first after that, 2003 model, That were certified, CE as Blue Water vessels,
They are the safest boats Ive ever been on,
They really are a great boat,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 19:17   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Yeah, are used to have an older British boat like that also. We didn’t have problems with that boat. Once you get a bit larger or a modern wider been boat, they start charging you like crazy.

There is really something to be said for the narrow beam older British boots. They can fit in monohull slips no problem.
Sure but a 50ft x 25ft cat is likely equivalent to a 65-70ft monohull...now compare marina access and pricing.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 19:22   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
I haven't owned one but I'm generally a fan so I'll admit the blue water comment wasn't from firsthand experience like you've obviously had. I didn't realize any had made it as far as Australia. Out of curiosity did you (or someone) sail it there or was it shipped?
They aren't your traditional "full keel blue water boat" but many have done ocean crossings including a few round the world trips.

Obviously, you need to make sure the boat is in good condition but that applies to any boat before a long crossing.
Old 05-01-2020, 19:22   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Mine was sailed from San Diego to Hawai, Tonga, Fiji, New Caledonia, Vanuatu, Bundaberg, Qld, By the previous owner,
He trucked it from Brand New across the USA to San Diego,

I bought it in Fiji and sailed it back to Bundaberg, Qld for Customs,
I lived on it for about 3 months full time, Crossed three oceans in it,
Sailed Approx 3000 Nmiles in it,

Then down the coast to Port Stephens where it got wrecked at anchor in a violent storm, (Tasman Sea)
Then I trucked it to Melbourne, Repaired it,
It now lives at Western Port Bay, Victoria, Australia,
Bass Straight is my cruising ground, Between the Southern Ocean and the Tasman sea,

This was my first serious shake down cruise after getting it back in the water,
I took it through the RIP into Port Phillip Bay and back to Western Port Bay,
Via Bass Straight,
Seriously, If it wasnt such a good Blue Water vessel, I wouldnt be here to tell you about it,
Ive had it in 20 foot waves in the Coral sea on the way home,

Tony Smith the builder took one across the North Atlantic to England, in 2002,
The main reason I bought mine,
Then he ripped out all the Cherry wood panelling in them, making them lighter,
Mine was one of the first after that, 2003 model, That were certified, CE as Blue Water vessels,
They are the safest boats Ive ever been on,
They really are a great boat,
Wow, I'm impressed, with you and the boat! I'm in Annapolis where they were originally made, so lots around here. None of which have seen even a taste of what yours has, but I'm sure the owners will all get a kick out of me recounting your story so thanks for sharing.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 20:11   #50

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
They aren't your traditional "full keel blue water boat" but many have done ocean crossings including a few round the world trips.

Obviously, you need to make sure the boat is in good condition but that applies to any boat before a long crossing.
Can you point toward any info on these "round the world" Geminis or even any ocean crossings. I do know of Tony Smiths atlantic crossing and the one in Oz but other than that only enthusiasts alluding to others without any actual evidence of it being anything more than rumors.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 21:20   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
Can you point toward any info on these "round the world" Geminis or even any ocean crossings. I do know of Tony Smiths atlantic crossing and the one in Oz but other than that only enthusiasts alluding to others without any actual evidence of it being anything more than rumors.
Bumfuzzle was another Gemini that did many miles across the Pacific, They did have a Youtube series, But it was taken down for some reason,

There are two that I know off in Hawai, and another being sailed there this week or next from San Diego,
All sailed there,
Old 06-01-2020, 01:49   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
Google Slapdash Gemini. They did a round the world.

Also on the Yahoo Gemini group, there are several members putting out "rumors" of the ocean crossings they have done. I know at least a couple have made it to Hawaii and a few Atlantic crossings.

There was also a couple that did Cape Horne...for a while their pictures were used in the advertising for the boats..
Old 06-01-2020, 03:14   #53

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylles15.5 View Post
You Tube channel ( Yacht Ruby Rose) just did the French canal system. Worth watching, beautiful old towns and scenery. No way is a cat doing that trip, but I couldn't either drawing over 6 ft. Makes me want to rent a small powerboat to do the canals one day. Really beautiful French countryside.
Ive looked into that, some of the smaller canal boats, suitable for a couple, are quite affordable to charter.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:30   #54
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Bumfuzzle was another Gemini that did many miles across the Pacific, They did have a Youtube series, But it was taken down for some reason,

There are two that I know off in Hawai, and another being sailed there this week or next from San Diego,
All sailed there,

Bumfuzzle was a Wildcat 35
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:15   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Bumfuzzle was a Wildcat 35
My mistake, Slapdash was the one I was thinking of, Two blokes on it,
I dont think they could sail when they started out,
Old 06-01-2020, 05:54   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylles15.5 View Post
You Tube channel ( Yacht Ruby Rose) just did the French canal system. Worth watching, beautiful old towns and scenery. No way is a cat doing that trip, but I couldn't either drawing over 6 ft. Makes me want to rent a small powerboat to do the canals one day. Really beautiful French countryside.
We did the Erie Canal and looked at doing the European system. Only canals that would have been an issue are a lot of the UK system where it only accommodates a 7ft beam...but not many mono's could handle that.

They had a 38ft mono so roughly equivalent to a 34-36ft cat...lots of cats in that range can do the European canal systems. In fact a lot of 38ft monos can't do the European system as it's shallow often with 4ft or less of depth. (Ruby Rose is a swing keel, so not a typical mono)
Old 06-01-2020, 06:43   #57

Boat: Lagoon 380

Our favorite harbor in the Pacific, Aitutaki, Cook Isl.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37692A66-A800-4EBA-8A2A-00D5BD7E9979.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	396.6 KB
ID:	206398   Click image for larger version

Name:	8F4E5A1F-89BF-4E9B-8A46-1DBC5E270466.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	206399  

django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:42   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranshiro View Post
Thank you for the replies. It does seem like with a monohull you are a bit more secure in knowing there should be a spot in a Marina for you.

Paul, I'd be very curious to know what kind of catamaran you have. It's nice to know that with such a large beam you are still able to go so many places. but like Hpeer said, I was under the impression that most boats, be they monohull or catamaran can't really handle places with ice, unless specifically designed to.

One does have to be careful in the ice with a fiberglass boat of any configuration. When in the Beagle Channel, Cape Horn area we considered going to the Antarctic peninsula, but decided not to as a few boats had recently returned with ice damage, monohullls and a Catana 43 Catamaran. Most of the boats going to the Antarctic peninsula are steel or aluminium, many specially built, and some of them also get damaged in the ice. The year we were there a special built aluminium 60ft. charter boat had rudder and shaft and prop damage while there and limped home to Ushuaia.

Since some of you have asked, I had sailed a Manta 38, 1992, one of the original five built in Canada by Bleu Marine, before being built in Florida by another company. The Florida company slightly modified the boat, built a couple as 38footers, then extended the transoms (as I did after purchasing it in 1999) and my wife and I did many thousands of miles sailing on it until selling that boat in 2016. With my transom extension it was 39ft 3"LOA and just over 21ft. beam, displacing about 18,000lbs outfitted for cruising as I had it. four anchors, extra chain and rope rode, 200ft. chain on main Bruce 20kg anchor, refrigeration, Espar heaters, storm jib, parachute sea anchor, drogue, etc.
I also had the experience of having completed a bare steel hull in the late 1970's, converting it to a junk rigged sloop and doing a 40,000plus mile, five year, circumnavigation of the world on it with our two children, 4 and 6 years old when we left. Prior to that I had a 21ft Kingfisher 20+ junk rigged sloop that my wife and I sailed through the European Canals and Danube to the Black Sea, Greek islands, etc.
We have sailed at least 130,000 miles, about half on monohulls and half on catamarans.
I much prefer the catamaran.
We have written many articles for magazines, both under my name, Paul Howard and under my wife's name, Fiona McCall, Cruising World, Practical Boat Owner, Canadian Yachting, two Toronto Star series, Family Adventure on the High Seas, 1983 to 1988, Horn to Horn, 2001 to 2005, on the catamaran, and many others, we do not have a website. We have also had two books on sailing published, All in the Same Boat, 1988 and Still in the Same Boat, 1991, both about our Circumnavigation with the children. Our Toronto, Panama, Alaska, Panama, Toronto trip on the catamaran had a few stories published about it.

I now own a Walter Greene designed, Damien McLaughlin built Even Keel 38 catamaran, home port: Toronto, on the Great Lakes.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:07   #59

Hasn’t this subject been bludgeoned enough? Some like Cats. Some like Monohulls. Cats are better in some ways than Monohulls. Monohulls are better in other ways. There is no perfect boat. If you’ve found it tell the Forum. I’m sure you’ll get 100’s of reasons why it’s not the perfect boat!

I just said goodbye to my boat Saturday. Now I’m starting my search for a cruising boat. Cats and Monohulls are on the list. Eventually one boat will tick off more items on the list then the others. That’s what I will buy.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 13:32   #60

Boat: Bali 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ View Post
Hasn’t this subject been bludgeoned enough? Some like Cats. Some like Monohulls. Cats are better in some ways than Monohulls. Monohulls are better in other ways. There is no perfect boat. If you’ve found it tell the Forum. I’m sure you’ll get 100’s of reasons why it’s not the perfect boat!

I just said goodbye to my boat Saturday. Now I’m starting my search for a cruising boat. Cats and Monohulls are on the list. Eventually one boat will tick off more items on the list then the others. That’s what I will buy.
Yes... it has been bludgeoned enough.

The "best boat" is the one that sails you away from the place you bought it...

We may have done this in a slightly different way than most would suggest or recommend, but we shopped for a boat for a total of 3 days. At the end of that period be bought one, moved aboard as soon as we could and sailed away a few weeks later.

If most people worried less about the "perfect" boat they would already be out living a life on the water rather than reading about others doing (or not doing) it.
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull