Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2016, 07:58   #451

Boat: Nauticat 32
Re: Pilothouse Variations -- Boreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
One thing I can't reconcile with these pilothouse yachts is that it doesn't seem possible to sit in a cool breezy cockpit and keep watch without standing up every 5 minutes to peer over the pilothouse in the warm places of the world all that standing up and sitting down is going to become tiresome. Of course if you are sailing in cold places you might be happy to keep watch from indoors.
Having a pilothouse + low dodger on top of it is not much different from having a dodger of the same height. Of course in the second case you can fold the whole dodger away when needed, but in the first case only half of the obstruction.

When sailing you often sit on either side and the boat heels, in which case you can see forward from the left or right side of the pilothouse. You can see forward also by looking through the pilothouse. This way you can see under the genoa too. I need to bend a bit downwards to do this. If I stand up, I can see over the dodger. And of course I can see through the dodger. My dodger has however just a plastic window.

A pilothouse boat could alternatively have a high rear cabin and a "cockpit" on top of it. In this case you can always see over the pilothouse. This is however not Dochkhead's favourite solution, I believe.

The pilothouse is thus always some kind of an obstruction, but depending on how high you sit and how high the pilothouse is, it can be also below your line of sight (even with a deep cockpit). It is typical that the seat of the helmsman is a bit higher than the other seats. Seeing through the pilothouse (with glass windows) can sometimes be a benefit. This is not necessarily possible through a "raised saloon", but a proper "pilothouse" that is intended for steering inside has also a proper windscreen with decent visibility forward.

From sailing point of view, pilothouse is just a large but low fixed dodger (with rather heavy "upper rim") to me.

Quite often I use the autopilot and stand in front of the steering wheel, just behind the dodger, maybe leaning to it, close to all the lines, well protected from the potentially cool breeze and potential splashes (except my head), sitting occasionally on the left or right edge of the cockpit (not on the seat but one step higher, often leaning to the wooden rail). A flat deck would give me better visibility, but most boats have some sort of a dodger anyway, so it could be also a low pilothouse.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:15   #452

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Thanks -- interesting.

It has a lot of Dashew DNA in it -- as if they were trying to combine a Sundeer ketch with a FPB power boat.

It's a heavyweight with a lot of power boat genes in it, and that's not quite what I want, and rather windage-ridden, too.

It also lacks a multitude of Dashew details.

I also dislike the davits (although I admit that at this size, davits start working better), and hate the Ikea furniture.

But it's still a very interesting boat with a lot of good features.
It is an interesting design.

I don't think the windage is too bad. You are committed to some sort of a pilothouse anyway and it is quite low. When sailing into wind the heeled boat should shelter most of it. It has davits and an arch, but you can chop them off easily enough. Likewise the covered cockpit can be reduced and I think it is made to have the windows removed. It has two masts, but that allows backstay-less sails and so with a full roach squarish head. That should increase efficiency to compensate. Also the masts are shorter than normal, so the heel from the windage of a reefed tall mast will be less. Also the genoa furler looks like it may well be removable for you to improve windage further. I don't know what the combined effect of all this is, maybe Burkemeyer can tell you the theory and maybe you need to go for a sail.

The deep centreboard should help upwind.

I noticed it has a bow thruster yet has two engines. That seems unnecessary.

It has a stern anchor retracted with a built in windlass for Scandinavian sailing.

It's got an enormous 5500 lt fuel tankage. I can only imagine the intention is to use some of that normally for ballast and to pump it from side to side, so 2250 lt for normal cruising.

It even has bicycle storage.

I don't agree it is heavy at 38 tons. It's not a racy weight, but as a comparison it has the same DWL as a new Oyster 745 and that weights 52 tons. In relation to the sail area, the displacement is a little high, but I thought you didn't want an overpowered light 'Med' wind boat.

The two biggest weakness for me is the lack of dinghy garage and the visibility from the cockpit doesn't suit me well. Not terrible problems.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:35   #453

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
. . .It has two masts, but that allows backstay-less sails and so with a full roach squarish head. That should increase efficiency to compensate. Also they masts are shorter than normal, so the heel from the windage of a reefed tall mast will be less. Also the genoa furler looks like it may well be removable to improve windage. I don't know what the combined effect of all this is, maybe Burkemeyer can tell you the theory and maybe you need to go for a sail.
I rather like the rig. Split rigs have some huge advantages for this kind of sailing, and if you can get the masts far enough away from each other, the split rig disadvantages start to fade. The roachy mains are great. I'm sure those guys were looking at the Sundeer ketch rig; you've seen Jedi's boat?

Quote:
The deep centreboard should help upwind also I expect.
We'll see. I don't think the hull form is going to make for particularly good sailing, and there are a lot of flat sections. The bow is too fine for this duty. The centerboard will not work like a good bulb keel.

But the boat is primarily intended to be operated under power, I think, so if you think of it as a motor sailer, it will be worlds better than a Nauticat. I think it may be a perfectly decent compromise.

Quote:
Also noticed it has a bow thruster yet has two engines. That seems unnecessary.
Hah, for whom how (as the Russians say). I would take the bow AND stern thruster on a boat like that, probably. But the bow thruster on a twin screw vessel can do magic things. Big ships have them, despite twin screws. You would want every bit of control you could get, in harbor maneuvers, on such a vessel.

Quote:
It has a stern anchor retracted with a built in windlass for Scandinavian sailing.

It's got 5500 lt fuel tankage. I can only imagine the intention is to use some of that normally for ballast and to pump it from side to side. Way more tankage than you should ever need.
It's intended to be used primarily as a power boat, I think. It has 300 horsepower and with that displacement, I guess you could be using 20-30 liters/hour when trying to motor against wind and head seas. The tankage is to give you range even doing that. It makes sense to me.

Quote:
It even has bicycle storage.
With that much hull volume, it had better Did you see the underfloor area, with all the parts box storage? Very nice.

Quote:
I don't agree it is heavy at 38 tons. It's not a racy weight, but as a comparison it has the same DWL as a new Oyster 745 and that weights 52 tons. In relation to the sail area, the displacement is a little high, but I thought you didn't want an overpowered light 'Med' wind boat.
Well, it's pretty heavy. Remember the beam is only 5 meters (just like my Moody 54). I was thinking 22 - 25 tons for my hypothetical 62(ish) footer. The Sundeer 64 is 22 tons.

The sail area is good, I think. Remember it's a motor sailer with 300 horsepower, so you will not care about light wind performance. My own boat has 16.5 SA/D and this is perfectly adequate for these latitudes; I even reduced it by having a smaller blade jib made. The smaller rig and less sail area will be more efficient in strong conditions, and as you pointed out, the lower split rig will reduce heeling moment, adding even more efficiency. Good set up for high latitudes I think.

Quote:
The two biggest weakness for me is the lack of dinghy garage and the visibility from the cockpit doesn't suit me well. Not terrible problems.
Agreed.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:16   #454

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
But the boat is primarily intended to be operated under power, I think, so if you think of it as a motor sailer, it will be worlds better than a Nauticat. I think it may be a perfectly decent compromise.
Where do you see the key differences between the Berckemeyer and the Nauticat? I didn't quite understand what was good and what was bad on each side.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:31   #455

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
More office cafeteria look than Ikea

How about this one off Dutch yacht. The alu hull was built professionally and then the owner built the rest

Attachment 125564
Do you have a link?.... it's an odd design, but I want to see more
Old 05-06-2016, 09:34   #456

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
Where do you see the key differences between the Berckemeyer and the Nauticat? I didn't quite understand what was good and what was bad on each side.
The Berckemeyer is not a Swan, but looks to me to be quite a bit more sailing efficient than the Nauticat, which like most motor sailers has a longer fin keel and underbody built for motion comfort, not for foil efficiency.

That's the right direction for my use -- I want a good sailing boat. But the Berckemeyer has a lot of flat sections in the underbody and I reckon would be fairly uncomfortable, were it not for all that displacement.

I do like the way the Berckemeyer tries to push both sailing and motoring -- as if these capabilities are not contradictory. I like that very much. They've just gone a bit overboard towards motoring, compared to what I would have done.

Other boats which have this are the HR 64, with 300 hp and really big tanks, but intended as a sailboat with little compromise.

And the Sundeer, which is tilted more towards sailing, but with a large engine and good tanks.

The Sundeer, with long waterline, low and small rig, low windage, modest draft, narrow beam, small wetted surface, is probably my ideal for the sailing formula -- made to do effortless 200+ miles days. No extreme qualities anywhere -- made to make miles using very little sail power, which means very little heeling, little windage, little trouble. Totally opposite from these boats with wide beam, huge form stability and huge rigs, which need huge amounts of power to overcome all that drag and keep moving -- which is the worst thing in the world for long distance cruising, for me anyway.

The other thing about the Sundeer which is different from the Berckemeyer is that it is fairly light, which also makes it easier to move through the water, at the expense of some motion comfort, but that's a tradeoff I would make.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 05-06-2016, 11:24   #457

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
This looks like it's built for the job. Good looking boat.

Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:14   #458

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
I rather like the rig. Split rigs have some huge advantages for this kind of sailing, and if you can get the masts far enough away from each other, the split rig disadvantages start to fade. The roachy mains are great. I'm sure those guys were looking at the Sundeer ketch rig; you've seen Jedi's boat?

We'll see. I don't think the hull form is going to make for particularly good sailing, and there are a lot of flat sections. The bow is too fine for this duty. The centerboard will not work like a good bulb keel.

Hah, for whom how (as the Russians say). I would take the bow AND stern thruster on a boat like that, probably. But the bow thruster on a twin screw vessel can do magic things. Big ships have them, despite twin screws. You would want every bit of control you could get, in harbor maneuvers, on such a vessel.

It's intended to be used primarily as a power boat, I think. It has 300 horsepower and with that displacement, I guess you could be using 20-30 liters/hour when trying to motor against wind and head seas. The tankage is to give you range even doing that. It makes sense to me.

With that much hull volume, it had better Did you see the underfloor area, with all the parts box storage? Very nice.

Well, it's pretty heavy. Remember the beam is only 5 meters (just like my Moody 54). I was thinking 22 - 25 tons for my hypothetical 62(ish) footer. The Sundeer 64 is 22 tons.

The sail area is good, I think. Remember it's a motor sailer with 300 horsepower, so you will not care about light wind performance. My own boat has 16.5 SA/D and this is perfectly adequate for these latitudes; I even reduced it by having a smaller blade jib made. The smaller rig and less sail area will be more efficient in strong conditions, and as you pointed out, the lower split rig will reduce heeling moment, adding even more efficiency. Good set up for high latitudes I think.

Agreed.
It looks to me like a good sailing boat rather than a motor-sailer. I don't think it was designed primarily as a motor boat despite the twin engines and enormous tankage. Apart from those tow features, everything else speaks of a cold weather high performance sailing boat. Large and good quality sails. Square head sails. Deep centreboard. Modest displacement. Narrow beam. Beam brought aft. Fine entry hull form.

I like the centreboard. I'm sure it won't work as well as a very deep racing bulb keel, but compared to a cruising keel, probably not a big difference. Certainly Oyster, who offer this sort of keel promote it as a close performing alternative. It has loads of advantages. Getting close to shore, drying out, resistance to grounding, absence of keel bolts to fail, reduced sailing at anchor, etc.

I saw the ton of storage under the salon, but I was a bit concerned by the lack of isolation of engine noise. I'm sure it would be better to seal the engine noise in, rather than allow the noise to travel throughout the boat under the floor.

As to fuel tankage. My boat is a little heavier and a good bit shorter. I can motor at about 7kts using 7 lt/hr. This boat being a longer and lighter will do a little more, say 8kts for the same fuel use and that will translate into maybe 9kt motorsailing pinching the wind with a VMG of maybe 6.5kt. Just an off the cuff guess of course, but that gives the boat something like a 5,000nm range just with the motors. More still if motoring in the calms. Way more than needed as there surely will be wind in the right direction a good bit of the time especially in the higher latitudes where it is designed for. This is why I presumed the tankage was serving double duty as moveable ballast.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:45   #459

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

The MOST PROMINENT feature on my Nauta54 !?

DOUBLE COCKPIT !

Adding some steering ability on the companionway (wireless AP) it is almost perfect...
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:50   #460

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
As to fuel tankage. . . . Way more than needed as there surely will be wind in the right direction a good bit of the time especially in the higher latitudes where it is designed for. This is why I presumed the tankage was serving double duty as moveable ballast.

Or to fill up on dirt cheap, sweet Russian diesel fuel, to last you until next year, if you happen to call in to Vyborg
Walt Whitman
Old 05-06-2016, 12:52   #461
cruiser

I was unaware that Steve Jobs had designed a sailboat?

Berckemeyer Yacht Design | plans for modern and classic sailing yachts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	125588  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 13:02   #462

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

Oh, my God. What a monstrosity. Even worse than a Hanse!
Walt Whitman
Old 05-06-2016, 13:05   #463

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Doctor Frankenstein boat lol....
I bet you a Dollar that Polux is going to show up saying its a contemporary yacht!!!!
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 13:14   #464
cruiser

I'm sorry, but the first thought that came into my mind when I looked at the picture of the Berckemeyer... was Steven Job's boat "Venus," with sails.

I believe he was also into the fuctional beauty idea when he designed his duck.

But in all fairness, I've seen "Venus" in person several times and it doesn't look that bad in 3D. Kinda like the Russian fellow with the gigantic submarine "A," which looks quite striking when you sail past and see it in 3D. It's enormous.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	125589  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 13:15   #465

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

Have you seen Venus in person? It's actually pretty when stacked among all the other melted looking yachts. I hated the photos when it was launched, but seeing it come into harbor, it looked amazing.

Matt