Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2016, 16:18   #421

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Pilothouse Variations -- Boreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post

So I'd conclude this is a fun fast coastal cruiser for day trips. Obviously you could sail it much further, but I wouldn't
It may be the use you imagine you would do to it but the fact is that you would not buy one.

what defines what a boat is and is used for, is the boat program by the designer and builder and the use that the ones that buy the boat will give to them, not what you think or I think it will be appropriated to do.

The nautical press will normally express adequately the boat program and if it is adequate or not to that use will be expressed in sales or no sales.

The builder:
"RM Fora marine, Constructeur de voiliers de voyage..."

The nautical press:
"Le nouveau RM 12.70, idéal pour les candidats aux grands voyages"
Le nouveau RM 12.70, idéal pour les candidats aux grands voyages

The owners:
Le périple de Francesc Santanch Ã* bord de son RM1050 - RM Yachts

One of the world' best sail school and probably the oldest:
"Le RM 10.50 biquille est un bateau de voyage rapide.."
rm 10,50
(the 10.50 is similar but smaller)

There is nothing wrong in you judging the RM 12.70 as not the boat in what you would make a voyage but it is very wrong to generalise your opinion ( that this is just a fast fun coastal cruiser) when obviously the boat was not designed for that neither it is used mainly for that.

The RM is one of the brands that have been experiencing more success (1989) and has been growing fast on the last years, meaning that more and more sailors find this type of boats adequate for what they were designed for: fast voyage.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 19:55   #422

Boat: Tartan 40

Sure, polux- the usual. All you mention (or quote) is what the marketing folks say. And yes, the yachting press tends to help promote and market brands in case you weren't following the revenue stream between press and advertising.

In any case, can you respond to the specific reasons I mentioned for this boat being somewhat inadequate for voyaging? I'd love to hear your thoughts on having you or your gear at risk for being washed out of the transom, or being flung overboard by the mainsheet on a crash gybe. Also can't imagine how much that hull pounds upwind.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 20:09   #423

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Easy enough to add Dyneema netting across the transom to stop anyone/thing from going over the aft end. But I guess nobody has ever added accessories to address a concern they have.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:49   #424

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

And its made of Plywood and epoxy, great for the ice.....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:56   #425

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Easy enough to add Dyneema netting across the transom to stop anyone/thing from going over the aft end. But I guess nobody has ever added accessories to address a concern they have.

Good idea. Though won't address a wave slapping open transom and soaking helms person.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:12   #426

Quote:
Good idea. Though won't address a wave slapping open transom and soaking helms person.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

The only time that is an issue is during heavy weather. At that point, you're already soaked or being steered by autopilot.

Also, the buoyancy aft is huge.... you'll lift over most waves or speed along side them.

We spent three weeks huddled below deck in our Sabre (reverse transom boat) on our crossing from the Canaries. The waves weren't huge, but very confused and would slap the stern at odd angles sending fountains of water into the cockpit. It happened every few minutes, so the only option to stay dry was to be below deck. So, an enclosed stern really was no help.

We also got pooped bad. I was standing at the galley and heard a freight train sound rolling at us.... a second later a wave crashed into the cockpit and sent water jetting through the drop boards all the way to the v-berth (looked like the spray from a squirt gun). It took forever to fully drain the cockpit through two 2.5" scuppers in the floor. We had down flooding into the bilge through speaker holes and lazarette tops. Our new boat has an open aft letting any water out fast.

Matt
Old 04-06-2016, 07:59   #427

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
The only time that is an issue is during heavy weather. At that point, you're already soaked or being steered by autopilot.

Also, the buoyancy aft is huge.... you'll lift over most waves or speed along side them.

We spent three weeks huddled below deck in our Sabre (reverse transom boat) on our crossing from the Canaries. The waves weren't huge, but very confused and would slap the stern at odd angles sending fountains of water into the cockpit. It happened every few minutes, so the only option to stay dry was to be below deck. So, an enclosed stern really was no help.

We also got pooped bad. I was standing at the galley and heard a freight train sound rolling at us.... a second later a wave crashed into the cockpit and sent water jetting through the drop boards all the way to the v-berth (looked like the spray from a squirt gun). It took forever to fully drain the cockpit through two 2.5" scuppers in the floor. We had down flooding into the bilge through speaker holes and lazarette tops. Our new boat has an open aft letting any water out fast.

Matt
This kind of thing is one of several reasons why I prefer center cockpits on boats over about 45'.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:40   #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
This kind of thing is one of several reasons why I prefer center cockpits on boats over about 45'.
I still dont like the feel of a center cockpit or aft cockpit with a high seating position due to aft cabin, but at least after 45' they don't cosmetically look as awkward. The issue is when you then add a pilothouse mid deck :thumbdown: Of course function over form, but there still has to be some eye appeal with this price range of yacht. With the Boreals design, you still have a smaller aft deck, but don't raise the cockpit to the nose bleed section.

Matt

Sent from my LG-V410 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 04-06-2016, 09:10   #429

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
I still dont like the feel of a center cockpit or aft cockpit with a high seating position due to aft cabin, but at least after 45' they don't cosmetically look as awkward. The issue is when you then add a pilothouse mid deck :thumbdown: Of course function over form, but there still has to be some eye appeal with this price range of yacht. With the Boreals design, you still have a smaller aft deck, but don't raise the cockpit to the nose bleed section.
How a pilot house and center cockpit could be harmonized is something I don't know. Maybe it's impossible.

Concerning "eye appeal" -- I don't actually care that much about this. Beauty for me really follows function. I want my next boat to have a somewhat rough workboat look on the outside anyway. But elegant lines are desirable -- but these do follow function, actually.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:29   #430

Length does help the pimple look of a pilothouse/center cockpit if you don't try making the engine room (under cockpit) standing height. Dijkstra and Hoek do this well, but then we're talking 70' +. Like anything, it's all in the eye of the beholder.... Both for feel and look.

Matt

Sent from my LG-V410 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 04-06-2016, 12:56   #431

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
How a pilot house and center cockpit could be harmonized is something I don't know. Maybe it's impossible.

Concerning "eye appeal" -- I don't actually care that much about this. Beauty for me really follows function. I want my next boat to have a somewhat rough workboat look on the outside anyway. But elegant lines are desirable -- but these do follow function, actually.
How about Nauticat 515.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nauticat515cz.jpg
Views:	1642
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	125486  
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 13:11   #432

Quote:
Sure, polux- the usual. All you mention (or quote) is what the marketing folks say. And yes, the yachting press tends to help promote and market brands in case you weren't following the revenue stream between press and advertising.

In any case, can you respond to the specific reasons I mentioned for this boat being somewhat inadequate for voyaging? I'd love to hear your thoughts on having you or your gear at risk for being washed out of the transom, or being flung overboard by the mainsheet on a crash gybe. Also can't imagine how much that hull pounds upwind.
One of the quote was from Glenans, probably the best world's sailing school (The RM 10.50 is a fast voyage boat) and they have one on their fleet of many different sailboats.

Regarding being washed out of the transom or flung overboard by the mainsheet I believe that does not deserve an answer. I will only point out that most solo offshore sail racing boats, were efficiency and safety are paramount, have a similar transom and a similar mainsheet arrangement.
Old 04-06-2016, 13:14   #433

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
And its made of Plywood and epoxy, great for the ice.....
Optionally they can have an outside layer(s) of kevlar. Many owners opt for that. The epoxy is used to saturate the marine plywood and make it completely waterproof.
Old 04-06-2016, 13:17   #434

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
How about Nauticat 515.
That looks like one hell of a boat. I'm afraid I would need to sell something. I might look like the guy with the 640 FICO looking to borrow 7K?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 13:20   #435

Quote:

Matt
Being the RM faster downwind the waves will slap the boat with much less force (if at all). In fact the boat will be sailing at almost wave speed doing long surfs. I have heard about that the opinion of many sailors with fast boats with open transom and the open transom is not a liability in what concerns that.

I have also the experience on my own sailboat. Downwind at almost wave speed waves crashing on the transom does not happen.