Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2014, 16:39   #1

pilot house sailboats

does anyone know of any pilot house sailboats where you can control all the sails (main and jib sheets and halyards) from inside the pilot house? preferably a boat that would be suitable for sailing in open water and thats relatively easy to single hand.
indi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2014, 16:45   #2

Boat: Vd Stadt 34
Re: pilot house sailboats

I saw one for the first time ever a few months ago in Bequia SVG. It was a custom cutter under Norwegian flag. The concept looked great after our very wet ocean crossing. :-)
I didn't go over to ask for more information but maybe someone else saw this boat in the West Indies this season? I'll check if I can find a picture.
Bregts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2014, 16:52   #3

do you know if there are any production sailboats with that feature?
indi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 11:39   #4

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by indi View Post
do you know if there are any production sailboats with that feature?
Probably among the more modern contemporary pilot house/ Deck saloon boats you will find several North European boats. I believe they can be rigged the way you want since they are semi custom boats...the only problem is that they are high quality boats and that means expensive.

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 20:37   #5

One of my last deliveries was a pilot house motor-sailor from Hawaii to California. Other than the fact that the boat was a slack bilge, under canvased motor-sailor , it was a nice difference for a long passage. 24 days , and only in foulies 3 or 4 times is not bad for crossing a less than nice section of ocean. After a number of skin cancer bouts, I would consider a pilot house boat, if the darn thing sailed well. With all of the modern sail control features on the market, I think it would be easy (not cheap) to control sails from a pilot house. Maybe the next generation of boats will sail to windward like a knife in the water, go down wind with minimal rolling, and keep people out of the sun for most of the time. OH, I JUST KEEP DREAMING. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 22:07   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

RAWSON 30
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 23:49   #7

Boat: Freedom 38

Just today I toured a friend's Nauticat 44 (1983). What a beautiful boat and extremely spacious. He single-hands it. He has duplicate controls (radar, chartplotte, etc.) so he can navigate from inside or on the aft deck, which has some nautical term that I've forgotten at the moment. There's even a sliding hatch in the pilot house part so he can keep an eye on sail trim...not sure how he handles the sheets though.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 23:57   #8

Boat: Jeanneua 36

check out the Jim young 43 in Auckland nz
bigpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 04:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Just today I toured a friend's Nauticat 44 (1983). What a beautiful boat and extremely spacious. He single-hands it. He has duplicate controls (radar, chartplotte, etc.) so he can navigate from inside or on the aft deck, which has some nautical term that I've forgotten at the moment. There's even a sliding hatch in the pilot house part so he can keep an eye on sail trim...not sure how he handles the sheets though.
Old Nauticats are not a model in what regards sailing performance but since the firm passed to the younger generation they started making reasonably good sailing boats. That's the case with the 37 and the 385.

Besides Nordship (that makes a very nice 36ft) other brands that makes production small decksalon/Pilot house boats with reasonable or good performance are CR Yachts, CC yachts, Southerly, Luffe, Degero yachts.
Old 27-06-2014, 09:21   #10

Check out an Amel 54. Not strictly a pilothouse, but the steering position and all sail controls are inside the doghouse. I have one and can vouch for their sailing performance, and yes, I do single hand my boat. One just went round the world single handed....see the Amel owners forum on Yahoo. But.....they are not cheap !
tony robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 09:37   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

This one is reportedly has completely automated control from inside the comfort of the saloon....

Not sure if it can be singlehanded....

SY Maltese Falcon

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 09:43   #12

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

My Ingrid has a pilot house and was not terribly expensive to buy. She's ketch rigged and all sheets and halyards are external. The inside Nav and conning station is a blessing in the climate of the PNW. One issue with sailing her from below decks is the loss of wind and weather cues. She likes a good breeze but it's easy to get over powered and shorten sail late if your lazing about below. It keeps me in shape running up and down the companion way trimming but its nice to be able to eat and drink in comfort seated in the conning chair. Frequently other boats don't realize she has inside steering. Even the CG has stopped by on occasion to be sure she wasn't uncommanded. After years out in the open its a desirable luxury to have a pilot house and lots if deck space.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 09:56   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

[QUOTE=indi;1572094]does anyone know of any pilot house sailboats where you can control all the sails (main and jib sheets and halyards) from inside the pilot house? QUOTE]

If you cannot find one already rigged the way you like then look at any pilothouse boat. It is not that complicated to rerun the controls from the mast to inside a pilothouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indi View Post
preferably a boat that would be suitable for sailing in open water and thats relatively easy to single hand.
Like handling from a pilothouse ease of single handing to a great degree depends on how the boat is rigged and set up. With very few exceptions any boat can be rigged with the lines run, proper winches and blocks to facilitate sailing solo.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 01:06   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
This one is reportedly has completely automated control from inside the comfort of the saloon....

Not sure if it can be singlehanded....

SY Maltese Falcon
This one is comfortable too, but not so expensive. Forget to mention Sirius and last night one just come in the anchorage where I am.

The 31 i very cute and they are making a big one with 40ft, They have also a 35 and a 38 older model.

Sirius 310: Lebensqualität auf 31 Fuß - Yacht TV - Segel Videos von Europas größtem Yacht Magazin
Old 28-06-2014, 06:56   #15

A pilot house sailboat is very nice, but often expensive.

We intend to make a doghouse on our Dufour 35, but a doghouse is not fully enclosed, as a pilothouse is.

Taco.
Voyager269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat