Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2012, 11:27   #1

Boat: Mariner 36
Peter Canning Mariner 36

Can anyone give me an opinion of the Peter Canning Designed " Mariner 36" masthead sloop? These were build in New Hampshire somewhere as far as I am aware.
There is another Mariner 36 sailboatbuild in the Far East somewhere but that would not be the one I am interested in.
SvintII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 12:36   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Peter Canning Mariner 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvintII View Post
Can anyone give me an opinion of the Peter Canning Designed " Mariner 36" masthead sloop? These were build in New Hampshire somewhere as far as I am aware.
There is another Mariner 36 sailboatbuild in the Far East somewhere but that would not be the one I am interested in.
Yea you want the good stuff...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 12:54   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Yea you want the good stuff...
By that do you mean that it is a good boat????
Old 27-05-2012, 13:01   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
By that do you mean that it is a good boat????
Sorry, I dont know the type of boat.You are interested in the US made one as opposed to the Far east made one,I get carried away with the made in America thing...someone else will tell you about the boat i am sure...good luck..DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 13:05   #5

Old 04-07-2012, 01:33   #6

Boat: York Harbor 36

People who own the Peter Canning Mariner 36 love them. It is a beautiful boat with good sailing performance. There were only 80-90 built. And they were built with the sort of good solid craftsmanship you expect from craftsmen in New Hampshire and Maine in the 1970s-1980s. Ones ingood shape tend to be in very good shape because the owners dote o nthem.

There's an associaiton of owners. You can reach them thru Marinergroup@gmail.com
Sorgenfri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:48   #7

Quote:
The Mariner 36 sailboat is the 4th sailboat that I have owned and the best so I have basis for opinion. We owned hull #5 and got involved early in life cycle of 36. We owned her for 12 years and actively sailed every summer, always making summer vacation passage Down East from CT. One year, wife and I did CT to Newfoundland. Early boat partner joined Mariner, so I had inside view as well.
Looking back, there are a number of small flaws in my mind, like ice box too big and we didn't want deck loading but, overall, she served us well for all those years. Good hull design, strong construction, good layout. She sailed very well and fast for lwl but she also has pleasing lines. The couple we sold to, sailed her to South American, then with growing family bought M 47, testmonial to Mariner. Would be happy to answer question or send mag articles from Yachting or Sea Mag (now out of print but article on our Mariner) Understand that this may be too late but just signed up with CF
larrygeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 17:19   #8

Boat: Mariner (N.H.), Sloop, 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Tory Salvia

I've owned "Sparkle Plenty," a 1980 Mariner 36 (N.H.) hull #62 since 2001. There were about 82 hulls built between 1978 and 1982. The previous owner sailed her exclusively from Maryland to the the Bahamas each year for about six years. She has "good bones" and any upgrades or repairs you do are well worth the investment. I've done an extensive refit over the years. She sails very well with sea kindly motion even in big seas. You feel very secure. She's roomy below (11.5 ft beam) with wonderful teak joinery and a great deal of stowage. See her website at Sparkle Plenty Mariner 36. I'd be delighted to answer any questions. The Mariner Yachts Owners Group is a private forum, so you need to email the admin to get aboard.
Tory Salvia is offline   Reply With Quote