Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-11-2008, 11:19   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Countess:
I (should not have) jumped to the conclusion that Perry actually processed your $500 credit card charge, and/or didn't refund it.
I also presume that you asked for a refund.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:35   #17

Boat: Perry 47 Countess Inn
I will tell you that everyone I have spoken with that have had dealings with Bob, social or business, have been more than pleased. I inquired about a consult of a specific hull. That is what this thread is about.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:38   #18

The credit card was charged and honored and I was refused a refund, told to but a Passport or Valiant.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:39   #19
cruiser

Consultation

I do a lot of consultation and I try to give honest advice. I have many happy clients and I'm happy to provide references. Obviously I cannot please everyone and from time to time my abrupt manner annoys some people. I annoyed my parents.

However I am confused by what Countess claims because I have never been sued by any Valiant owners, ever. I do not take credit cards and I have all the original drawings for the Perry 47 aka Litton 47 aka Universal 47 still in my office and they are available to owners. I send them out regularily. I have had a long association with that model and I think I have some valuable insights into that boat. So I question what Countess has to say. He says he gave me a "cc#". What would I do with that? I do not take them. And as for having "no info, plans, suggestions" anyone that knows me at all knows that is highly unlikely. I always have suggestions and opinions.

Over the years I have had two clients ask for their money back. I complied. One signed up primarily for access to my discounts and when they found that the discount at West Marine was so low they wanted their money back. The other guy thought I was an ass so I gave him his money back. Most of the time I really enjoy working with consultation clients. I like playing the Dutch Uncle.

I keep all the original drawings for all of my designs. They are always available. Usually a full set of drawings runs $350.

I must have pissed Countes off. It happens. Sorry about that Countess but please be accurate.

I have been at this business now for 41 years and I think what I have learned has value. I probably average a call a day from boat buyers or owners and I just don't feel it makes sense to give my time and knowledge away. I'm happy to work with anyone who thinks I may be able to contribute the the boat buying process. I am not a surveyor and I always recommend and good one.

Bob P.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:40   #20

I will tell you that everyone I have spoken with that have had dealings with Bob, social or business, have been more than pleased. I inquired about a consult of a specific hull. That is what this thread is about.
Old 12-11-2008, 13:33   #21
cruiser

Countess:
Plans will go out to you tomorrow but I need to know if you have the cutter or the ketch rig. This will effect the sail plan, of course and the deck plan.
Old 12-11-2008, 13:55   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob perry
... ‘I annoyed my parents.”...
... I have all the original drawings for the Perry 47 aka Litton 47 aka Universal 47 still in my office and they are available to owners. I send them out regularly. I have had a long association with that model and I think I have some valuable insights into that boat....
... And as for having "no info, plans, suggestions" anyone that knows me at all knows that is highly unlikely. I always have suggestions and opinions...
Greetings, and WELCOME aboard Bob.

I too, have annoyed my parents (and always have suggestions and opinions) , and also many here at the CruisersForum.
Personally, I’m ok with that.
It may, sometimes, be the price of a willingness to share a, hard earned, (informed & educated) opinion.

I’m sorry that your first (but, hopefully not last) contribution to the CF must be somewhat defensive in nature. I am very pleased that you’ve been alerted to this discussion, and have taken the time to respond! I hope that you may continue to monitor of our discussions, and contribute to those some that intrigue & interest you.

Countess Inn,:
I’m pleased to see you acknowledge Mr. Perry’s (well deserved) general reputation.

It appears that there my have been a misunderstanding twixt you & Bob, and I encourage you to contact Mr. Perry, to try to obtain the (apparently) available information you desire.

Given Mr. Perry’s responsive comments regard CC charges (he doesn’t take CC), I think you should further explain your earlier comments, re charges without value.

Old 12-11-2008, 13:59   #23
cruiser

phone chat

Gord:
Countess and I had a nice, friendly phone chat and eveything is resolved. I will be sending him a set of plans tomorrow for his boat. I will not be charging him. It just seemed like and easy way to end a messy situation.
Misunderstandings take two people. This one was easily resolved.
Old 12-11-2008, 14:01   #24

Well stated Gord - Level, fair, measured, penetrating. I look forward to the response.
Old 12-11-2008, 14:25   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob perry View Post
Gord:
Countess and I had a nice, friendly phone chat and eveything is resolved.
Dear Mr. Perry: Thank you very much for taking an interest in issues raised on the CruisersForum, and for taking effective action to resolve them.
This supports your well-deserved reputation.

Old 12-11-2008, 14:36   #26
Armchair Bucketeer

I like a happy ending

(oh to be a Mod )
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 14:41   #27

This all happened a long time ago and details do tend to become fuzzy. I called the boss and she remembers it not being a CC but rather a check so my apologies to all and especially Bob for that. I did call Bob and had a long very good and constructive conversation. I told him he didn't have to send me the plans but he insisted and that goes a long way with me. I hope to get to the Seattle area someday.
Old 14-11-2008, 10:15   #28
cruiser

Countess;
I put a tube of plans in the mail to you yesterday.
Enjoy!
Old 14-11-2008, 11:04   #29

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
What a great thread! Welcome to the board Mr. Perry
Old 13-04-2016, 18:09   #30

Boat: Perry 47 Ketch 1981
Send a message via Skype™ to surazo
Re: PERRY 47

Hi ,I have a Perry 47 CC Ketch in nice conditions and at moment I making another restoration .It's a really wonderful sailboat .strong,long distance ,well proved as a blue water .In fact my boat have made 2 world trip without problem .The price depends of how many improvements do you do .The prices going between aprox US$ 70 in Kemah until 130.000 depending of the upgrades .
I had contact with Bob Perry and it's a good guy ,probably pay US$ 500 is not too much in order to have a clear idea .He is a smart guy .Finally I bought all the design plans ,Quite useful .
I select this boat for heavy weather because seems a tank .It's not fast but absolutely reliable
any question please send me any PM .

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: