Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 17:49   #1

Boat: Spencer 42 hull 17
Send a message via Skype™ to Chasing Summer
Perkins 4-107 diesel

Having recently purchased another used Perkins 4-107 including a Borg Warner 1:1 drive. I've decided to rebuild it instead of my original engine. I've decided to part out my original engine keeping obvious spares like the injector pump and water pumps. I had bought the recent engine to complete parts that were missing on my original engine.
I'm offering egine parts and transmission to the sailors of this forum first before I list them on ebay.
Private message me if you need something.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:47   #2

Boat: 1979 CC Chen Aries-32; Thomas Gilmer Design- Hull #23
Send a message via Skype™ to Ciabi
Re: Perkins 4-107 diesel

Hey Lowell- Allow me to tag along onto this thread please. I rebuilt my Westerbeke 30 in the last year, and have another Westerbeke in dry storage for a "parter"... but it is a 4-91. There are a few common parts that I've used, but the water pump is brand new. There is an auxiliary alternator mount on the block (minus the 2nd alternator). The auxiliary pulley is mounted. This engine is ripe for a rebuild of most of the obvious auxiliary equipment (fuel pump, starter). Clean her up, rebuild the fuel pump and starter, probably replace the injector nozzles to match the fuel pump rebuild timing settings, give here a paint job and you're good to. Or... call me or private message me for 4-91 specific parts (i.e. fuel rails, manifold, heat exchanger, etc). Currently complete with admiral instrument panel and push button start. Long tail 2:1 transmission should be evaluated prior to re-installing in your vessel. Located in Berkeley, CA. Pulled from an Aries-32 for re-power about 4 months ago and was running okay. I seem to recall my buddy said he was leery about the transmission but it never stranded him.

I'll let it go for $950 as it sits- after I finish the rebuild and its pretty and sounding solid, I'll list it for $2750.

Thanks! Chuck aboard the s/v The Chester P. 510-9-SAIL-92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing Summer View Post
Having recently purchased another used Perkins 4-107 including a Borg Warner 1:1 drive. I've decided to rebuild it instead of my original engine. I've decided to part out my original engine keeping obvious spares like the injector pump and water pumps. I had bought the recent engine to complete parts that were missing on my original engine.
I'm offering egine parts and transmission to the sailors of this forum first before I list them on ebay.
Private message me if you need something.
Ciabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:27   #3

tag along all you like; the more traffic the better.
I don't plan on rebuilding my parts spare; just sell as a unit missing some things or part it out completely. It's a post 1974 as it has a 107 serial nember. The one I'm keeping has a pre-74 number. I am swapping many parts of the newer one ... but, of course that's why I got it.
Old 02-08-2012, 13:02   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

year doesnt seem to matter--functionality does. rebuild it save old parts--what you dont use you can always sell along the way if you are going to cruise.
save your sending units, your fuel tubing, pressure pumps and other rebuildable items--STARTER!!!! ALTERNATOR!!!! you will need these spares. rebuild water pumps and have a spare. keep a head spare also.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 18:15   #5

Only got one starter and alternator ... that's why I bought the engine. To get items I didn't have.
By all means I'll keep anything rebuildable as a spare. I was told the head was cracked. I can't see anything. the area around #3 doesn't look to good. That's why he got rid of it. Also, found bright green anti-freeze in the oil pan. My thought, and please, correct me if I'm wrong .... leaky cylinder sleeve "O" ring for the anti-freeze, and a seawater back up into #3. Any other thoughts?
Old 02-08-2012, 18:38   #6

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing Summer View Post
Only got one starter and alternator ... that's why I bought the engine. To get items I didn't have.
By all means I'll keep anything rebuildable as a spare. I was told the head was cracked. I can't see anything. the area around #3 doesn't look to good. That's why he got rid of it. Also, found bright green anti-freeze in the oil pan. My thought, and please, correct me if I'm wrong .... leaky cylinder sleeve "O" ring for the anti-freeze, and a seawater back up into #3. Any other thoughts?
or maybe a blown head gasket?
Old 03-08-2012, 12:17   #7

Yes, it did have a blown head gasket, but something had to cause it. I always like to get to the root of the problem so I can deal with the cause and not just the effect.
Old 03-08-2012, 15:46   #8

Boat: '88 Passport 41' Magic Moments

The blown head gasket is probably caused by a previous owner not torquing the head at 100 hrs as specified in the routine maintenance section of the manual. If you do a search on this site you find many have never done this step.
A
Dynamo1181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, perkins