Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 16:49   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Question Performance Cruisers 43-48ft, Center Cockpit?

Hi Everyone,

Many years lurking, first time posting here.

My husband and I just returned from a three year cruise across the South Pacific in our Wauquiez Pretorien 35. We are now back stateside on the west coast and are looking for our next boat that we will take offshore cruising again - hopefully with a child. I would be grateful for input on sailing performance of some of the boats we are considering. We were really happy to have done our cruise in a boat that could sail reasonably well in light air and are hoping to find the same in our next home.

We are looking for a performance cruiser sloop/cutter with a SA/D ratio of at least 15+. One thing I have noticed is that it is hard to get finite data on what the actual displacement weights are, just from looking at Yachtworld and Sailboatdata / PHRF ratings. I was hoping some of you could weigh in (no pun intended!)

Here are a few of the boats we are considering. We are looking at boats less than $250k. Thoughts?

Moody 42, 44, 46, 47
Liberty 45
Freedom 45
Hylas 44 (looked at one - funky aft berth and felt small for a 44), 47,49
Norseman 447 CC
McIntosh/MacIntosh 47 (Sailboatdata says displacement of 30k - but I thought these were teak forests?)
Taswell 43
Bristol 44
Tartan 4600

Cheers,
Lauren
Laulena3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 16:51   #2

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28
Re: Performance Cruisers 43-48ft, Center Cockpit?

Look at Hanse. Designed as cruisers but have a real touch of speed.
silversailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 17:30   #3

Boat: Nordhavn 50

No complaints with my Hylas 46. Good speed and comfortable.
Capt.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 17:53   #4

Might look at the Saga boats too. The 43 for example has a SA/D or 20 and a D/L of 160.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 21:10   #5
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

Oyster Lightwave 48.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 21:19   #6

Boat: Liberty 458
Our Liberty 458 continues to delight us. We couldn't find a better interior on a proven blue water yacht.

110+ lockers so plenty of room for stores, essential kit, spares, tools and toys. 2 offices for us to work onboard and great living and entertaining spacw above and below.

She sails well with just the two of us and is fun in the heavy stuff. Prettt good light air performance as well.

Sailboat data has the info you're looking for. I'm partway thru a GL certification, purely as an academic exercise, and will publish it at www.sailingtheplanet.com when time permits.

Enjoy the search for your new boat.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 22:35   #7

Your choice of Moody, s as first on the. list is a good one. Excellent sea boats with a good turn of speed. Layouts below work well for voyagers and decent storage although not great. Usually looked after by owners, good following although not in the USA and a very active owners group. I, m refering to older models built in the UK not the new ones built by Hanse
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 23:07   #8

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

I've said it a few times in other threads, but I'm a huge fan of the Brewer 44.

Updated version of the Whitby 42 Ketch and also the Brewer 42, the 44 features an integrated step in the transom and an updated interior. The 44 is a sloop not a ketch, moderate displacement, some versions have centerboards, and can be found for around $150-$180k.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:32   #9

Norseman are wonderful sailing boats but watch the teak decks, they can be a real pain. Hylas are also a nice boat, most owners are pleased with them. The Liberty is a takeoff on the older Peterson 44 as I recall. You guys have cruised for a few years and you sailed in a good quality boat so you must be quite opinionated as to what is really important to you in your next boat, why not share your thoughts?
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:41   #10
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Jeanneau 39i with performance pack, its a real flyer and the hull is very sea kindly ( do ask me how I know!)

dave
Old 08-01-2014, 14:12   #11

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, Mate. Welcome aboard. If you're willing to extend your length range a bit, I have a well kept, Mason 53, fully imported to New Zealand, while still U.S. flagged that you might want to do a bit of research on in your search. The SA/D is 15.8. Fully capable of 200 mile days with all the storage and hull strength to successfully liveaboard (as we have done for 15 years) long term.

I have more photos in my album on my profile page. You can always send me a private message if you want to discuss in detail. I am also willing to contact you by phone to discuss in more detail. All the best. Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Home.jpg
Views:	1526
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	73559  
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 14:49   #12

Boat: Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Jeanneau 39i with performance pack, its a real flyer and the hull is very sea kindly ( do ask me how I know!)

dave
Alright, i'll bite. How do you know, what it is you know, about a Jeanneau 39i?

BTW - One of my all time favourite designs in recent mainstream production boat history

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 15:14   #13

Boat: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laulena3 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Many years lurking, first time posting here.

My husband and I just returned from a three year cruise across the South Pacific in our Wauquiez Pretorien 35. We are now back stateside on the west coast and are looking for our next boat that we will take offshore cruising again - hopefully with a child. I would be grateful for input on sailing performance of some of the boats we are considering. We were really happy to have done our cruise in a boat that could sail reasonably well in light air and are hoping to find the same in our next home.

We are looking for a performance cruiser sloop/cutter with a SA/D ratio of at least 15+. One thing I have noticed is that it is hard to get finite data on what the actual displacement weights are, just from looking at Yachtworld and Sailboatdata / PHRF ratings. I was hoping some of you could weigh in (no pun intended!)

Here are a few of the boats we are considering. We are looking at boats less than $250k. Thoughts?

Moody 42, 44, 46, 47
Liberty 45
Freedom 45
Hylas 44 (looked at one - funky aft berth and felt small for a 44), 47,49
Norseman 447 CC
McIntosh/MacIntosh 47 (Sailboatdata says displacement of 30k - but I thought these were teak forests?)
Taswell 43
Bristol 44
Tartan 4600

Cheers,
Lauren

there is a nicely equipped Norseman 447 CC for sale in the classifieds here (just an fyi)
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 13:31   #14

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

If you only looked at one Hylas you might want to see if there are any others on the market, they offer semi-custom layouts when originally built, so there are usually several different configurations on the same hull.
My wife and I looked at quite few while we were in the market over the last several years and saw many different configurations, some we liked others not.
All the owners we talked to were quite pleased with their boats performance and comfort.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 13:53   #15

Boat: Catalina 34

In addition to YW specs and Sailboatdata, you can get lots of SA/D's from SailCalc without doing any math!

Also, you might consider these:

Kaufman 47 - Well within budget and has an SA/D of around 19. Kretschmer owns/sails one and loves the performance. (Be sure to check John's "Bluewater Boats" list, as many of the boats you listed are described there.)

Saga 43 - Popular Perry designed cruiser with an SA/D of 20 that should be available in your budget.

Outbound 44/46 - Meets your SA/D requirement, but probably not within your $250k budget.

Tags
center cockpit, cockpit, cruise, cruiser