Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-08-2010, 16:53   #16

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, mates. I'm a seller. I try to respond within a reasonable timeframe with the information requested (I don't always have access to a reliable internet connection living on the hook, so sometimes it may take a couple of days). Most of the time, I am not given the courtesy of an acknowledgment that the requested information has been received.

I believe I have a boat that has been kept in excellent condition and am asking a reasonable price. In addition, a forum member has been on board and can give an independent view (contact me for the follow-up details).

With all the boats on the market today, my view would be that if a buyer can't find a boat that meets most of their requirements (no boat is perfect) then they are not really a buyer in the first place. Life is to short to be spent looking into a monitor all day. Cheers.

Old 05-08-2010, 23:59   #17

Boat: Thinking and looking
Me: I would be interested is seeing some photos of your boat. Also could you tell me the last time it was surveyed and what work you have done to it.
Them: I CAN TELL YOU MORE, PLEASE JUST GIVE ME A CALL. THE BOAT IS IN BAY CITY AND WE CAN SET UP A TIME TO LOOK AT IT. I SENT SOME PICS. BUT A MUST SEE

Why can't the people trying to sell just answer simple questions?

Another listing:
Me: I'd be interested in asking you a couple of questions if you don't mind.
1) Looking at the title, what model does it say? 8 or 7.3 2) Has the boat been surveyed? 3) Does a trailer come with it? 4) When was the last haul out? 5) How long have you owned it, and other than cosmetics, what has been done to it? 6) Do you know if it has any damage, and could you tell me how long ago the hardware has been replaced? Also if you could send me some detailed photos from all different angles of the exterior and interior of the boat, it would greatly help.

Her: Mark.. i have no clue.. and if i was keeping this boat long enough to enjoy her.. that's what i'd name her *No Clue*!!! Just bought her on the 12th of July.. worked my butt off on fixing her up. Painted inside and out.. motor and gas can but no connect!! freaking disconnect i cant find! in between an 1/2 and 3/4 inch. 8hp. motor works.. saw it run. no title.. the guy i bought it from got it same as me.. piece of paper.. i .... sell this to Lisa....blah blah blah..seriously Mark, if i had a registration.. i'd have more info!! I'm not *that* blonde!!!! .no trailer.. geez i'm only asking 2850 for it.. the rest is your's to figure out. or not...LOL but man, I'm loving staying on it til someone does bite!!

Me: How do you have it registered without a title?

Her: Dude.. i've only had it 3 weeks..!!! i havent bothered to register it.. are you really a boat person.. you are very anal!!! hahaha
the water is calming!!! i think you NEED this boat.. and i think i should charge you $3000!!! then you can moan bout it more! Look.. it is what it is.. simple as that. I'm not jumping through hoops or stressing.. my life isnt about that.

Is it me or does this girl need some serious help?

Old 06-08-2010, 00:32   #18

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Healer52 View Post
Ditto. Even brokers lack a single clue, it seems: Check out some of the 'full spec' descriptions on yachtworld. Some are quite good, some basically have no info at all.

Same with the pictures. I've probably looked at 200 boats described there (we're picky as hell, but it's been an education and worth it) and very very few have good photos. I get that the boat sails.....12 pics out of 14 showing it under sail or on the hook from 75' away, make me wonder whats wrong with the cabin and engine. Or the opposite: 40 pictures of the cabin, but nothing that shows how it flows together. Or labels like 'picture 23'. Is that the forward head? The aft head?

And when I actually contact some of these yahoos, it's tough to realize that I may be the customer, I guess...they want to tell me what they want, and not answer my questions? Bu-bye....
Hilarious & true ever so often.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:12   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bought it three weeks ago...and what she's not saying is that when she found out it couldn't be registered without a title and had multiple other problems, she really wants to offload it on the next sucker before she gets arrested for possession of stolen property?

This is not unique to boats, by the way. News reports about used car scams over the years tend to keep saying that 75-95% of all the used cars sold in the classifieds (in the US) are not what they claim to be. Apparently they are scam artists and illicit used car "non-dealers" posing as private sellers. "It was my cousin's wife's car but she passed away, that's why there's no signature on the title".

Nope, sharks amongst us.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:34   #20

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief
Quote:
Originally Posted by matauwhi View Post
With all the boats on the market today, my view would be that if a buyer can't find a boat that meets most of their requirements (no boat is perfect) then they are not really a buyer in the first place. Life is to short to be spent looking into a monitor all day. Cheers.
Not necessarily true. Some people think because they put $50 or 80K worth of options on a boat, that they should get all that back when they sell. This is not typically gonna happen. All those extra's may get you a slightly higher price, but from what I've been told (both on the boat & home front)..all those extra's are going to make your boat more sellable....why your's should be better than the other guy's.

I remember selling my last custom home I built. i have wired it for sound in every room. Had 7.1 in-wall Sonance speakers with twin 13' powered subs. the real estate adgent looked at me and said.." I can still only sell it for about $117.00 a foot"

Not everyone is so loose with there money that they are not a well-informed and do their proper due-diligence" before buying a boat.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:56   #21
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Guys, if someone can't take care of business, they can't take care of business. Odds are they didn't take care of deck leaks, oil changes, and other business over the years, so when they can't answer a simple question, that's a great way to find out fast that you really don't want to waste your time on their boat.

This is a GOOD THING.
I disagree - just because a Seller is not a business (or people or internet savvy ) person don't mean they ain't a boat person with a boat to match.........

FWIW I sent my prospective Sellers a page or 2 of Excel questionnaire Wasn't everything I wanted to know, but a useful way to start developing better questions / screen a few boats out / compare vessels and also gain some knowledge about Seadogs in general.

BuyaBoat Questionnaire - "Wayluya" Seadog!

Bought privately, but would have done the same via a Broker.

Brokers of course operate a screening policy (you get what you pay for - nadda), when 99% of enquiries don't translate into cash don't make sense to VIP everyone, nor have the time. Price of that is losing a few genuine prospects, but overall seems to work out for the brokers in business terms.......otherwise they would all go bankrupt

But nonetheless a puzzle why brokers and private sellers do not collate in advance all available info / the info an informed buyer would need and either host online and / or ready to go by e-mail.......would cover 95% of questions at minimal time / cost.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:02   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
link does not work for me...from here anyway
Old 06-08-2010, 12:23   #23

Boat: IP38 cutter
Hmm. Works fine for me.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:30   #24
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
link does not work for me...from here anyway
XXXhttp://www.freewebs.com/wayluya/buyaboatquestionnaire.htmXXX

Maybe too much naked flesh for your local censor?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:33   #25

yup..Kuwait censors anything showing skin!
Old 06-08-2010, 13:52   #26

Boat: Westsail 28
I have been looking for a specific brand of boat for months and also have gotten the no response or older photo's taken in the 1980s.

A few days ago someone emailed me to ask if I would be interested in their boat. I requested pictures. What I recieved in the next email almost restored my faith in humanity!

I was sent not just specs and pics but an inventory of equipment, and a brief maintainence history and things that need work. (including cosmetic damage done during a hurricane) Also why they were selling the boat and it's address.

My wife and I were impressed with the owners forthrightness and have made plans to travel a thousand miles to look at this boat. It's not my "perfect boat" but these peoples honesty went a long way.

I haven't met these people but I trust them and would turn down a better deal just to avoid the possibility of dealing with someone with less integrity.
Old 06-08-2010, 14:12   #27

Boat: Thinking and looking
A wise an once told me, a material possession is only worth what someone is willing to pay you for it. As long as you keep that in mind, and are well informed, it's very hard for a person to take advantage of you. The problem I see is people who charge in uninformed about the purchase they want to make, and end up not knowing what the average sale price is. I was looking at RV's for a couple of years when I was younger, and couldn't believe how much some people were trying to sell them for. We are talking 20-30k over what high retail was. I'll never forget one answer I got when I told them they were way off the high value of the vehicle. "Your information is way off! I've been in this business for years, and these homes sell for much more than what they're valued at" Needless to say I didn't bother going to look at any of his sales.
Old 06-08-2010, 19:01   #28

Send a message via Yahoo to watson1990
Makes ya' wonder, don't it ?

Recently answered an ad for real estate on C.L. they had a 500 sq ft building with one outside pic. I asked for info such as : how much electricity? 200 amp ? 400 amp ? parking lot has how many spaces and what is the material used for the floor? Wood ? concrete?
Never got a response... 5 weeks later it is still listed

Like so many in America,they don't want to do any work ,,,they just want you to mail them thier check!!!
Old 07-08-2010, 02:50   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by watson1990 View Post
Like so many in America,they don't want to do any work ,,,they just want you to mail them thier check!!!
Could also be basically that person is hoping a person will jump on it quickly without research and write that check. Good for you for asking some very good questions
Old 07-08-2010, 19:58   #30

Boat: Careel 22
There are sellers and there are sellers, just like there are brokers and there are brokers.
I'll be looking at a low priced 38' yacht (compared to others asking prices for the same make/model of vessel) come Wednesday. The broker listed the yacht at 10am, I tried to contact him at 11am, he was not available so I left my phone number and the broker called me back at 4.30pm.
I asked why the asking price was so low, compared to other yachts of the same make/model, and I received a satisfactory answer. I went on to ask a number of other questions and received satisfactory answers to each of my questions.
The broker was as helpful as he possibly could be, from the end of the phone, we ended our questions/answers conversation with the broker giving me his word, up to Wednesday 12 noon, I have first refusal for the yacht. So I'll drive-up Tuesday and be at his office bright and early Wednesday morning to inspect the yacht...If the boat passes my examination, then I'll move to the next step.
The boat needs her Ford engine be rebuilt and she needs a “big” tidy-up below deck but that is not real important to me as I plan on changing the layout down the track.
The important thing for me with this enquiry, the broker did call me back, the same day.
The broker did answer all my questions, to the best of his ability.
The broker came across as being honest and therefore trustworthy.
As I said at the start of this post: There are sellers and there are sellers, just like there are brokers and there are brokers.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: