Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 00:59   #1

Boat: Currently a MacGregor 25, with a Westsail 32 in our sites
Pending a Survey, We Are Going to Pull the Trigger on a Westsail 32

Next Tuesday Bud Taplin (Mr. Westsail) is going to survey the Westsail 32 we have had our eyes on. She needs new standing rigging, and a new mainsail. There are a lot of little, and not so little jobs that will have to be done before she is ready to take us across oceans.

She is old, and not in "turnkey" shape, but more then any of the boats we have looked at, she sings to us. Initially my wife was set on a Pacific Seacraft Mariah, but we could not find one in our price range. In order to be able to cruise with a modest 10+ year budget our boat has to be both ready and paid for in five years. At that time our youngest will be off to college, and my wife will retire after over 20 years in federal law enforcement.

I have recently started working as a sail loft assistant. I get a little sewing machine time doing simple jobs in between what ever monkey work needs doing, but I'm loving it. The pay is a lot less then what I used to make as a commodity broker, but I don't have the stress, and don't feel like I've sold my soul. We will have a extended cruising budget from pensions and I plan to be able to repair sails and do canvass work to keep from touching our savings.

I dreamed of being able to cruise around the world as a boy. I joined the Navy, but instead of the South Pacific, I ended up home-ported in Norfork VA. The farthest I got from the U.S. was the Persian Gulf during the Iranian Hostage Crisis. Five years later I was back on the water as a commercial fisherman. After several years and a particular hardscrabble season crabbing off Cape Disappointment I thought I left any dreams of living on the ocean behind me. Now with my lovely wife, we will soon be able to go where we want, explore all those places that we could only catch glimpses of in travel shows.

There still is a long road ahead, but we have the will, a plan, and very soon a sturdy little ship to carry us away.
DennisNAlison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:56   #2

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
awww, you make sure you get that dream. Good luck with the survey
Old 03-02-2010, 02:53   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
That’s just excellent Dennis...I hope the survey goes well and you can get into the work soon.....just don’t forget to post us a bunch of pictures!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 19:27   #4

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Westsail 32

Very Cool Sir,

By the time you get all through the systems you will have made her your own. Looking forward to pictures as well.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 23:20   #5

Congratulations Dennis. Sounds like you've got a good plan, a great dream and best of luck with it all, keep us informed please ^^.
troymclure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:14   #6

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisNAlison View Post
we have the will, a plan, and very soon a sturdy little ship to carry us away.

All the best… it sounds like you bring more raw knowledge to the endeavor than many of us will ever acquire in years of recreational boating. Here’s hoping your Westsail (the boat that has probably fueled more dreams than even Hanna’s, Tahiti…) is everything you hope!