Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2007, 21:02   #1

Boat: Olympic 23 "Oddyssea"
Lightbulb Pearson to Irwin ?

Hey there guys,

I am troubled by a tough decision, and I'm looking for advice concerning an opportunity I have to trade up to an Irwin 32. I can sail the Pearson anywhere today, but if I trade up to the Irwin, I will have to completely refit the rigging on her. I don't know anything about Irwins, or anything over 26 ft for that matter, and I am afraid I might be getting myself into something too expensive for my meager pension. (Don't ask, it's small)
On one hand, I want the extra room, as I liveaboard. But on the other hand I cherish the idea of being able to take off whenever. and this refit would take some time for me to complete, not to mention the fact that it is a larger craft and may be harder to singlehand, as I am slightly disabled. Don't get me wrong, I'm not crippled, I just have a very bad back condition.
I guess it's scary to think about getting into something I don't know much about on my own... but hey! that's why I got you guys right?
Old 09-07-2007, 21:15   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Irwins weren't noted for their quality or robustness. If I had a choice between a Pearson and an Irwin, I'd take the Pearson without any thought.

It's not that Irwins are bad boats, they just aren't as good a boat as a Pearson.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 21:26   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
I'm with roverhi. The Pearson is a much better boat. Look around for a Pearson 10-M, or a 365, if you want something bigger. They're very affordable, and the basic boat is solid as a rock. You'll have to do some wiring and such, but the hull and standing rigging are generally strong, and you shouldn't be able to get over your head financially on one of those rigs. My experience with Irwins is that they sail like bricks.
Old 09-07-2007, 22:12   #4

Unhappy

Well,

Listening to you guys, I would think it not such a tough decision after all... I guess I just lust for more room, and don't want to be the guy with the smaller, um, vessel. That does'nt sound right does it? I think I'm trying to spoil myself with room, when I'm already blessed with functionality. I would'nt jump a brick, why would I sail one, right?
This discussion reminds me of the times when I would talk to some of the older Airborne Ranger guys about the C-141 vs C-130. The 141 was bigger, faster and flew smoother, but the 130 required less landing strip and used less fuel, which made it a much better choice on special ops. Sure, we were cramped inside and bounced around like dice in a cup, but the pilots could hug those trees and let us out at 500 ft, giving us a much better element of suprise, not to mention less "air time".
I think I already made the decision, as I am a practical captical. It would just be great to have that extra eight feet. It seems I've been thinking this way all my life, in one context or another. I know all the women reading this are probably smirking right about now!
Old 09-07-2007, 23:48   #5

Hi bearphish,
All I can say is "there is only 6ft of difference between 26ft & 32ft,NOT, 8ft.<GR>".Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 00:40   #6

guess i need to go back to MATH class, eh?
thanks, mud...
Old 10-07-2007, 06:39   #7

Mudnut's just showing off that he goes both ways: Metric and Imperial.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:47   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I'd go with a C-130 anytime. Probably not as cheap to run as your Pearson though : ).

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:57   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Rattle and bang

Having had the pleasure of flying in a C-130 from Hawaii to the mainland, no one voluntarily would take a C-130 over a C-141. Almost no military aircraft are comfortable but the C-130 is particularly uncomfortable. They rattle and bang at a sound level that will make you deaf and are relatively slow. Would like to know what they use as a thread locker on the fasteners. With the way they vibrate, it must take Herculean goo to keep things from falling off. Hell, even a TransPac in a C118 (DC-6) was more comfortable though even slower. Guess that last dates me a bit.

The C-130 has it's place, and nothing has done it better for nearly 50 years, but comfort is not it's forte.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:05   #10

Boat: Jeanneau SO 49
Just sold my Pearson 36. They are great boats and I would stay away from the Irwin. They were not noted to be a good boat.
Old 10-07-2007, 13:17   #11

thanks guys,
roverhi, your're absolutely right... try 16 hrs in a c130. man, that really sucks. but our job was not "prone" to comforts. one of the reasons I am how I am today. but practicality is the key to the 130's success. as far as a thread locker, well, I did'nt work on 'em, just jumped from them. whatever it is, it ain't Elmer's!
I am not going to do the trade.
you guys have shown me the true value of this board-yet again...

i will not sail a brick.

thank you again.

dale
Old 10-07-2007, 17:37   #12

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
WHY?????? would you want to do that?

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 18:30   #13

reply from an Irwin Owner

I own a 1978 Irwin Citation 30. I have owned it since new. I love the boat. Its well built. I sailed it from Florida through the Bahamas, Caribbean, Panama, to mexico, Hawaii and back to Victoria. Its very seaworthy and makes good passages. Usually averaged 125 m / day and it was comfortable. Irwins dont sail well? 4 times it finished in the top 10 in the juan de fuca division of swiftsure, the premium long distance race in the pacific northwest. it won numerous other regattas. its also an easy boat to single hand. what i really like about it is the V berth and galley. its also a good liveaboard. very roomy for 30 ft. Irwin built the Citation series from 30, 31,32,34,35,and 39in the late 70's and early 80's that were good performance cruisers for their time. get it surveyed. if its a good boat by the survey buy it if you like the boat. only buy a boat that you like. its sort of like a woman, you know instantly whether you will like it or not..

I would take the boat offshore again except i am no longer 30yrs. the older you are the bigger you need them.
baggingrays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 19:38   #14

Pearson

Just move up to a larger Pearson. There is a VERY nice 1984 Pearson 34 with a 1999 diesel for sale on Mobile Bay. The asking price is $34K
hatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:56   #15

Baggingrays,
No offense to Irwin owners intended. I sailed on a big Irwin CC. I think it was a 43, back in the early 80's and it was a total tub. That's my significant experience with them. That being said, the same size Pearson will sell before the Irwin in South Florida. Your market might be different.

Tags
Irwin, pearson