Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2016, 17:34   #1

Boat: 1973 Pearson (P35)
Pearson P35 (the old ones)

Hey Guys, so this is just a general posting about the good 'Ol P35.
So this is the deal, I have one, and do very much like it. Although the old lady, a weiner dog, and I have been living on it full time for over three years. We have done extensive upgrades and changes to her since we bought her. Until about a year ago, we lived either on the ball, or the hook. She is 100% 12 volt (including fridge and all other normal operations). The boat is legit, but getting a bit on the small side) if you know what I mean
Anyhow I'm curious as to what other P35 liveaboards have done to as to make her more comfy.
Thank you,
TKS
timkstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 17:41   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Pearson P35 (the old ones)

Welcome to the forum. I think my answer would be to spend some time on the dock given people onboard a little more roaming freedom...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 17:46   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkstanley View Post
Hey Guys, so this is just a general posting about the good 'Ol P35.
So this is the deal, I have one, and do very much like it. Although the old lady, a weiner dog, and I have been living on it full time for over three years. We have done extensive upgrades and changes to her since we bought her. Until about a year ago, we lived either on the ball, or the hook. She is 100% 12 volt (including fridge and all other normal operations). The boat is legit, but getting a bit on the small side) if you know what I mean
Anyhow I'm curious as to what other P35 liveaboards have done to as to make her more comfy.
Thank you,
TKS
Contact a member here named Roverhi, he's cruising in one, and welcome aboard here! Check out the "Plastic Classics" thread and group too, there may be someone there to help too.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ic-160329.html
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Plastic Classics

you could also do a search here for P35 and see what threads pop up.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 13:44   #4

Boat: 1968 Pearson P35

We also liveaboard a 1969 p35 and absolutely love her. We have two cats and yes she is a little small in the cabin. I have seen some folks take out the pilot berth to make a little more room but to us we like having the pilot berth. Not sure there is much you could do to "make" anymore room down below.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Mayhemdog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:00   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Have lived aboard as a solo on and off. These boats really weren't designed for full time liveaboard cruising. There is too much cockpit and not enough interior space. Having said that, the huge cockpit lockers made possible by the cockpit can store a ton of stuff. The galley area is small and without a 'U' counter setup, not the best design in the world. Because of trying to shoehorn a Yanmar 3GM into the space that used to be occupied by the A-4 have totally rebuilt, or should say in the process of rebuilding, the entire aft end of the boat. That's given me a 3" deeper aft counter which has greatly added to the storage by using the aft counterspace next to the bulkhead as permanent storage. That really took the pressure off the outboard cabinet to hold everything. Have a multi storage unit mounted to the aft bulkhead of the cabin that holds most of my limited cooking utensils, plates and silver ware for 4 and knives. Haven't finished it yet but will have two drawers on the face of the engine room panel which will add to storage. Rebuilding the ice box and haven't finished but that will probably cut down on the locker under the chart table.

Threw away the mattress for the outboard pilot berth in the salon. Now have 3 large plastic storage containers there that I store all my food, stove and lamp fuel, and a ton of other stuff. Aft section sbout 18" is for the HF and VHF radio and inverter. Turned the small forward hanging locker into shelves for storage. If I get ambitious, will tear out that entire section putting in larger bins in place of the three drawers and bulid in cabinets above.

Future plans are to tear out the holding tank under the port aft V berth. PO installed it there losing the drawer and storage under the berth to the tank. Really miss not having another large drawer and storage in the forepeak. Have installed a LectraSan treatment system under the head counter so I'm legal for the poo police.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:28   #6

Boat: Endeavour 37

There is a young couple sailing offshore on a P35 they've made a few good improvements to. They've posted some very good videos on youtube. Look up "Sailing Uma" to check it out.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
BozSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 17:43   #7

Hi, I am new to the forum. We are looking at buying a 1977 Pearson 35. We want to use it for coastal cruising on the East Coast and sailing over to the Bahamas. This boat looks to be in good shape. It still has the original Westerbeke diesel engine with 941 hours on it.

My basic question is this - are Pearson 35s this old (39 yrs) still viable cruisers for what we are looking to do? We've had some people say it's too old in the tooth and others say that it is a reliable older boat if it has been well treated.

Also, have you had problems with the deck being spongy near/under the mast due to moisture leakage into the balsa wood core?

Finally, what would you expect to pay for a boat of this vintage that needs new electronics, still has an ice box, but is otherwise fine.
rjlongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 19:05   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The area around the mast is cored with plyttion under the mast?? The mast post support in the bilge is a wooden block on mine. It has rotted out evenly on the bottom lowering the mast support by an inch or so. It isn't obvious on the deck but the main bulkhead has shifted from the compression load. Took me years to figure out why. Both are probably a relatively easy fix if the rot is limited to the plywood section. Will most likes require pulling the stick, though.

These boats are really good deals. Have seen some boats that looked to be in decent condition asking in the teens and some with issues in single digits.

Have sailed mine in the blustery winds of SF Bay and solo to Hawaii. A sail to Bahama would be a walk in the park.
Old 04-12-2016, 19:22   #9

Thanks for the quick response. I am not sure whether the mast is stepped onto the fiberglass before the compression post. If not that would resolve that concern. I am surprised your compression post sits on a wood block. Is there an electrical connection from the compression post to the keel? I would expect that for safety in the event of lightning strike.

What vintage is your boat? It's reassuring that you have been able to make the crossing to Hawaii.

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2016, 20:13   #10
Moderator Emeritus

My boat is a '69. Should have said plywood under the mast step above.

All my boats with deck stepped masts have had no electrical connection from the mast to the keel. Most have had wood mast support posts so a long way from the mast to the keel.

Have added two 1 1/2" cockpit drains to the aft end of the cockpit footwell. Should make draining the large cockpit much faster if pooped.

Don't know if I'll get it together to get it done but next sail is to Alaska, down the inside passage and back to Kona
Old 05-12-2016, 09:47   #11

Thanks much Peter. I've heard of lightning strikes popping out numerous holes in the side of the hull if the Mast isn't tied into the keel. So, I'll look into that further.

Anybody else have any input on my questions?

Tags
pearson