Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2007, 13:39   #1

Boat: To be determined
Send a message via MSN to RichT
Pearson info??

Hi all,
Lots of folks on here have been saying that smaller is better. It makes sense that smaller boats, 1) cost less to buy initially, 2) probably cost less to maintain, 3) can be sailed anywhere a bigger boat can (see recent threads about D.Lange), 4) are easier to sail/handle, and a host of other reasons, cheaper slip rents, etc.

To that end I have expanded my search for boats under 40'. I found a 1972 Pearson 390 in Florida. It seems like a very nice boat from what I can tell. It does have an aft double berth, which I like, and seems well laid out. I don't know that much about them. So, questions for the group.

Any Pearson owners out there, willing to share info? Are they good sailors? Sound/Well built? Appropriate for cruising, say from Florida to the Caribbean. Any disadvantages? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all in advance.

RichT.
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2007, 14:21   #2

Boat: Monk 36 (formerly Westsail 32)
Pearsons

Hi,

I owned a mid 70's Pearson 33. She was spartan from today's standards but was a great boat. She sailed well and was well built. We owned her for 4 years and cruised extensively on the Chesapeake Bay.

Like all vessels, the care of the vessel is paramount in her current condition. There are owners who pamper and many who neglect. Even a Hinckley can be a problem if the prior owner didn't care for her.

I don't know much about the CC 390. Pearson also made an aft cockpit 39 in the 70's and made a different design 39 in the 80's. I personally believe the earlier Pearsons were better built. I have sailed the mid 70's Pearson 39. It is a great boat! I would encourage you to look at some of those as well. There is a very nice one for sale in Florida on Yachtworld.com

There is a great website devoted to Pearsons. Look at www.pearsoninfo.net I believe you will gain much insight to these vessels.

Best of Luck

HERON
Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2007, 14:30   #3

I haven't sailed one, so take this with a grain of salt. The Bill Shaw designs are good comfortable cruising boats, and Pearson has a reputation for pretty well-built coastal cruisers. Since you're not talking deep sea, sounds like this design might be a good fit. Naturally, I'll defer to those who have hands on experience.
nolatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 15:42   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO 49
I have a Pearson 36 Sloop, 1973 for sale. It's located in Branford, CT. Check out the May /June issue of Good Old Boat, it features the P 36. You can see my listing on the following web sites:
1973 Pearson P-36 Sloop REDUCED - 36 foot boat

Skylark's Profile - Show My Boat

Sail Boat in Branford,*Connecticut*1973*Pearson*P-36 Sloop*- Used Boats – Boat Classifieds - Buy a Boat – Sell a Boat
Old 26-04-2007, 18:49   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I found a 1972 Pearson 390 in Florida. It seems like a very nice boat from what I can tell. It does have an aft double berth, which I like, and seems well laid out. I don't know that much about them. So, questions for the group.
Any 1972 boat isn't about what it was, but more about what it is right now. This is where you need a marine surveyor. A fiberglass hull would and coiled be just fine. It's all the rest that can eat your wallet. Not all boats are worth the money to fix no matter what any one says. The brand name means nothing for a boat 35 years old. It would have needed two refits by now. Anything less is your problem after you buy it.

I don't want to put down older boats but from an ad alone don't get too excited. The devil is in the details.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2007, 01:34   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Unlike wine, and myself, boats seldom improve with age. Hence, while it is about “what it is right now”; it’s basic current condition will be limited by it’s starting (new) design & build quality.
You can’t make a silk purse from a sow’s ear, and a very-well maintained and improved Lada will never become a Mercedes.
Pearson’s, of that era, might be compared to Chevy’s - mid-range quality for the time.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson