Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2007, 10:58   #1

Boat: Pearson 26
Pearson 419, 422 & 424

Does anyone have any specific knowledge of these particular Pearson models? They're all very similar in terms of their ratios/numbers, two are center cockpit (419 & 422), while one (424) is an aft cockpit. The 419 and the 424 are ketch rigged, but the 422 is a sloop.

They all seem like very nice boats, and I know Pearson's got a good rep, but I noticed the 419's average price (of the 2 currently listed on yachtworld.com) is less than 1/2 that of the 422 (3 currently available). The 424 (LOTS to choose from) seems to fall roughly in between the other two as far as the average asking price goes.

Aside from the obvious differences in layout and sail plan, and taking differences in equipment/electronics into account, is there anything structural about the 3 different models that would explain the dramatic differences in price? I think they all three have the same underbody: modified full keel w/skeg-hung rudder. Does anyone know if Pearson used balsa core in the decks? (etc etc etc.)

From what I've seen, the 422 is (IMO) the perfect cruising boat (I know...no such thing ) - especially for a small family, but the price is hard to wrap my mind around (about $135,000 average).

Thanks!
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 14:03   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
SSCA board

Check over on the SSCA discussion board SSCA Discussion Board :: Index. There is at least one Commodore who has cruised very extensively in one, believe the boat is now in the Med. Think there are others members who also own the boat.

I'm not overly fond of center cockpits unless you plan on having a lot of long term guests or children. Same goes for the ketch rig though at 42'+ you are getting into the realm where a ketch can make sense.

For bang for the buck, they look to be a good buy. One caution, Shipfitter's Disease can make owning an older boat a much more expensive cost than just entry fee, btdt.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 15:33   #3

Boat: Pearson 26
Thanks, Peter, I'll check that out. I was never overly fond of center cockpits either until my wife got me out on a dinner cruise recently aboard a Gulfstar 62 (maybe that extra 30 feet or so has a little something to do with it, too! ). But it's a concession I know I'd have to make to my wife if I'm ever to convince her that the cruising life is something we can do. Plus, we do have 2 small kids, so that also makes the center cockpit a little more appealing.

The aft cockpit version (Pearson 424) is also very nice, and still has what looks to be a very comfortable aft cabin. Like you, though, I'm partial to the sloop (Pearson 422) - probably more out of economy than anything else; it just seems like much less potential maintainance expense. But, then again, the 422 is so much more than the 424, it may just be worth it to go with the ketch after all.

Sorry to ramble...just thinking "out loud"

Thanks again!
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:46   #4

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
We love our CC Westsail 42. She feels much more seakindly than I could have imagined as we're closer to the center of gravity in the cockpit. It's also much easier to communicate from the helm to the bow since there closer to each other. I will say there are some views of the boat that don't make her shine but the room down below is sweet.
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson