Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-01-2014, 05:09   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Pearson 365 Pilothouse or Gulf 32?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmh58 View Post
Does that make it a "Bluewater boat"?
I don't much like the phrase "bluewater boat", which in my opinion lacks significant meaning, and is associated with stupid Internet arguments.

However -- - I would venture to say that the P365 is a sturdy sea-boat which will endure most anything a boat that size can endure, which tracks and heaves-to well, and which will appeal to those traditionalists who don't like modern production boats

Old 23-01-2014, 07:43   #17

This is great info. Sounds like the Pearson has a pretty good following here, more so than the Gulf. Neither of these boats seem to have great reputations as good sailers, so performance isn't going to be a major factor in the decision, but the profile pictures make the keel look tiny on the Pearson, and ridiculously huge on the Gulf. Polar opposites there. Certainly there will be an affect on sailing performance.

Old 23-01-2014, 08:50   #18

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Keep in mind that the comments regarding the P365 are mostly about the NON raised salon version.

The raised salon version has a huge expanse of windows and a huge door that goes right down to the cockpit floor. These are great features for living aboard, but are definitely weak points that would need to be considered if you were going to do more than coastal cruising.

I viewed a Gulf 32 years ago but found it small and did not like the layout; The one I looked at only had the galley and a small nav area raised, also had glass sliding windows. I thought the windows could easily be covered with plastic storm shutters and it did have a bridge deck in front of the companionway.

I ended up purchasing a Trident Voyager 35 (also raised salon). Covered all the windows with 1/2" acrylic and spent 4 years circling the North Atlantic.

If your goal is really to go bluewater (>3 days offshore):
I think the Gulf32 is a bit small, not enough storage or tankage to be comfortable.
With the P365 raised salon you would need to figure out how to protect/strengthen the windows and the door.

If you want to go to the Bahamas and Island hopping in the Carribean either boat could be made to work and the P365 would be more comfortable.

Cheers,
JM.
Old 23-01-2014, 09:37   #19

Boat: Redwing 18

Transporter,
You might also take a look at the Islander Freeport 36. I owned one for 10 years and they are similar to the boats you are looking at, but better in my opinion. A bit older; the last ones were built in the early 80s, IIRC. Well-maintained upgraded ones can be had for mid $50s to $60s. Designed by Robert Perry, they are pretty heavy by modern standards, but excellent sailing boats--very well-behaved with no bad habits. Very roomy for a 36 footer, with large head and shower. Raised pilot house but no inside steering.
Not a "cave." Very airy feeling in the main cabin. Some people worry about the big windows, but many IF 36s have crossed oceans with no problems, though adding outside Lexan covers to the windows would certainly increase your blue-water security. Check out the owners group --Freeport Owners Group (FOG) on Yahoo Groups.
Good luck in your search.
Old 23-01-2014, 09:52   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by malanbennett View Post
Transporter,
You might also take a look at the Islander Freeport 36. I owned one for 10 years and they are similar to the boats you are looking at, but better in my opinion. A bit older; the last ones were built in the early 80s, IIRC. Well-maintained upgraded ones can be had for mid $50s to $60s. Designed by Robert Perry, they are pretty heavy by modern standards, but excellent sailing boats--very well-behaved with no bad habits. Very roomy for a 36 footer, with large head and shower. Raised pilot house but no inside steering.
Not a "cave." Very airy feeling in the main cabin. Some people worry about the big windows, but many IF 36s have crossed oceans with no problems, though adding outside Lexan covers to the windows would certainly increase your blue-water security. Check out the owners group --Freeport Owners Group (FOG) on Yahoo Groups.
Good luck in your search.
Yes i thought of that after I posted. Nice boats. That pearson looks very nice too though. The large window thing is a consideration, but sure makes for nice living.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 10:45   #21

Boat: Slocum 43

I've been on, not owned, both although it was a regular 365. Although I love the gulf 32 I'd go for the Pearson.
Old 23-01-2014, 10:55   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

At a lower budget an old Islander 37PH has a similar layout.

Old 23-01-2014, 10:59   #23

I always thought the Islanders were well designed but not all that well built.
Old 23-01-2014, 11:02   #24

Boat: Catalina 380

Transporter,
Here's a link to a Pearson 365 forum:
Pearson 365/367 Yacht Club - Index

Here's one list for "Bluewater Boats" as well:
Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising

Good luck,
Mike
Old 23-01-2014, 11:11   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah, they are a little lighter. The Pearson has a well protected rudder etc too. I was on a Islander 37MS last year, real nice layout. ISLANDER 37 MS sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Old 23-01-2014, 11:42   #26

I like the Islanders but a buddy on a 36 had the bulkhead tabbing start to break loose after an boisterous sail. Sweet boat to sail though and it was anything but slow.
Old 24-01-2014, 19:07   #27

Boat: Pearson 39-2

I think one of the most important considerations for a bluewater boat, besides build quality is the size of the cockpit. I own a Pearson 39-2 which I love, is built well, sails great and has lots of room. I would however be careful venturing offshore for days on end because I am not comfortable with cockpit drainage. Having said that, I wouldn't think the G 32 would be any better and I would not be as comfortable with the build quality. I have been offshore in an Aerodyne 38 (granted a much different style boat) taking breaking seas into the cockpit. The totally open transom was great (as were strong tethers). Granted I have only seen these conditions once in my seven trips to Bermuda, but It got me to thinking how unstable a full cockpit of water would make my boat. It is one of the reasons great traditional offshore boats had small cockpits.

Having said all this, my boat was brought up from the Bahamas offshore, and there are many Pearsons sailing offshore with no problems. I will probably be taking my Pearson down to Florida next winter and given a good weather window will probably stay offshore rather than intracoastal. I have confidence in the build quality of the Pearson and I think, given proper planning and good sail selection, the Pearson would be fine.
Old 25-01-2014, 05:46   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, malanbennett..

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 16:07   #29

Boat: Gulf 32-Aeolus

This is a thread resurrection but I see that none of the original responders actually own a Gulf 32 as I do. The OP must be past this decision now, so I post this only as information for future reference.

I think it is hard to compare two boats of such different lengths. There are obvious pros and cons there.

For those saying the Gulf 32 is a hobby horse, let me say that I have sailed mine for thousands of miles in all kinds of conditions, including around Vancouver Island, and it does nothing of the sort! In fact, compared to all the boats I have sailed and chartered, my Gulf is a model of calm and stability in all conditions.

She is not fast, but has hull speed of about 6.2. She points 45 degrees. When sailing, she is stiff, and you cannot get the rails in the water. Slightly under-canvased. I rarely get passed by another boat sailing, unless they are over 38 feet and sailing fast. That is not her primary purpose.

My family cruises in her year-round, in total comfort and in all conditions. I am 6'2" and have full head room throughout in only a 32' boat. She has an inside station, as almost all do, and when it is raining with no wind, it is nice to motor along from inside with the cozy cabin heater keeping things at 75.

I've been doing a blog for many years now, and it contains a rather massive amount of information on the Gulf 32. You can see the address below. Message me on the blog if you have any questions that are specific.

Any boat that gets you on the water is a great thing, in my view. I love my Gulf, and get lots of compliments, but would be the first to say every person must find the boat that works for them.

Tags
pearson, pearson 365

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: