Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2014, 14:32   #1

Boat: Pearson 35
Pearson 35 cabin modification

We are outfitting our boat for extended crusing. I want to make the head L shaped so the toilet does not eat cabin room. The boat is mast stepped, however the bulkhead is only on one side and does not seem to support the inside mast support. I want to cut the bulkhead to make a L the goes into the main cabin and then put the sink counter along the Port side to make it larger. Anyone know if the bulkhead supports the aluminum mast support inside the boat?

The bulkhead does not touch the cabin top, nor cross to Starboard.

Best,
Jim
jimsavenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 14:43   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Pearson 35 cabin modification

I think you mean "deck" stepped or "keel" stepped?

I took full length bulkheads (lockers) out of my boat. I have noticed slight deck flexing around the mast area. I will be adding light compression posts.

Don't know if yours needs that or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-15 17.22.16.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	91560   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-26 12.08.18.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	91561  

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 14:54   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Second Ex-Calif. Deck or keel stepped? If the mast is stepped on deck then there must be some support under the mast to take the compression load (hence the name compression post for one way to do this). If the mast is stepped on the keel (like my Pearson and most of the models I am familiar with) then this is not so critical but still need some support of the deck.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 14:59   #4

It is deck stepped, a heavy pole is in the head that supports the mast and puts the load on the keel. It does not seem to have any bulkhead support and is glassed at the keel and the cabin top,
TKS
Jim
Old 13-11-2014, 15:24   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

OK, then you don't have to worry about mast support. Next question, is the bulkhead you want to cut floating or is it glassed to the underside of the deck?

If it's floating then pretty much non structural but if glassed in then it is contributing to the overall rigidity of the boat and support of the deck. Like Ex-Calif mentioned, could add some flex to the deck. If you're cutting only part of the bulkhead less concern.

DISCLAIMER. I'm not marine engineer or yacht designer so this is an uniformed opinion. You can probably do this and be OK but I would not if I planned to do any serious offshore sailing with the boat.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 16:45   #6

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Another mouth heard from, and i'm not any kind of engineer either, but i am a former boat builder. When you start messing with an engineered system and changing the distribution of forces that the current structure of the boat has, your asking for a critical failure during times of high stress. I don't know about you, but I can get a bit nervous during those times even with an unaltered boat.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 21:56   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The mast is supported by a post to the keel. The bulkhead does not act as a support for the mast. The bulkhead on my '69 model provides support only for the hull. It's in two pieces scabbed together. The scab has broken loose on mine so almost all the bulkhead you can see standing in the cabin is just floating. The short section that's hidden behind the lockers seems to be more than adequate to support the hull. Have sailed it to Hawaii and around SF Bay for the 8 years of ownership and

Question why you want to enlarge the head, especially by taking space from the already cramped main cabin?? The head is an area I spend almost no time in. It's there for obvious needs but haven't used it for much else on any boat I've owned. Enlarging the head beyond what's needed for the WC and a wash bowl seems a waste. Only thing I'd like to add is a way to sit and shower other than sitting on the head. Might try and add a small folding seat on the forward bulkhead. Have weather cloths around the cockpit and have always washed up there but plan on taking the boat to Alaska where that will be a bit chilly.

Post a drawing if you can. Would like to see what your thoughts are as I had a hard time envisioning it from your description.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 19:17   #8

Thanks all, I took off the covers and the mast compression post has a plate on top and bottom that has gussets. I want to take the sink and align it across the port side and then add 1 foot into the main cabin, not taking away from the seating, adding some storage to port. I need the head to be large enough for my wife to shower, so the head will be recessed. She has had two broken shoulders and a tight head is tough for her. I want to add railing on both sides for her and support on both sides of the head to support her on both tacks.
Again thanks for all of the advice!
Jim
Old 23-11-2014, 10:49   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

What climate are you going to be mostly sailing in. If you are going to warm country, a shower is a waste of effort. We washed up in the cockpit. With weather cloths, the cockpit is quite private and no worry what to do with the waste water. For colder weather cruising, it's a different story.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 05:25   #10

I understand that this is the boat that you have, and you want to make it work, but frankly I'm just not seeing it. To make more room for a shower in the head of a Pearson 35, you are going to have to eat into a whole lot of the port-side settee. I really don't see any way around that. That's where the table is, so now you have almost no room for dining.

Honestly, if you want room for a shower, I think you would be time and money ahead, and end up with something that works a whole lot better, to just sell the 35 and buy a boat that has a separate shower built into it. A Pearson 365 would seem to me to be exactly what you really want.

Good luck, whatever you do.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 07:32   #11

The best thing about this forum is your get many different perspectives, points well taken.

Thank YOU All! Happy Thanksgiving

Tags
cabin, pearson