Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2015, 13:12   #1

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
Pearson 323: Enchantress Circumnavigation Plan

Person 323 Enchantress Circumnavigation Plan

Hello all,

Many of you have probably seen me asking questions on here for years. I have been planning my trip for about 5 years, and it is finally happening. I plan to leave in March or April towards Hawaii. That will be the first leg of my circumnavigation attempt. Below you will see a summary of my plan and information on my boat and my gear. I welcome any and all suggestions, and want to thank all of you for the motivation and help over the years… I will most definitely need it going forward

(Suggestion/Comments are welcomed throughout, my lists below don't include all items so please let me know that is obviously missing that is good to have or a must have)

Route and Timing:

0_Hawaii
1_French Polynesia
2_America Samoa
3_Fiji
4_Vanuatu
5_Australia
6_Cocos Keeling
7_Mauritius
8_Reunion
9_Madagascar
10_South Africa
11_Brazil
12_Trinadad
13_Venezuela
14_Panama
15_Costa Rica
16_Mexico

Boat (1980 Pearson 323):
- Structural reinforced aft quarters
- Upper shrouds added
- 38 gal water tanks (2 x 19)
- 25 gal water cans (5 x 5 gal)
- 36 gal diesel tanks (2 x 18)
- 15 gal Diesel jerry cans (3 x 5)
- 4 x Trojan T105 (two house banks)
- 200 watts solar (2 x 100 watts Renogy)
- Saltwater foot pump
- Bilge Pumps (manual and electric)
- Zoom dinghy and Evenrude 8 outbaord
- Yanmar 3gm30 (~1997)
- Hydrovane
- Auto pilot (WP 300cx)

Living:
- First Aid kit and meds (bandages and pain,stomach,allergies)
- Snorkel and mask
- Books
- Cameras
- Fishing pole and some tackle

Ground Tackle:
- Delta Anchor with 45' chain, 84' 3 strand
- Bruce Anchor with chain and 3 strand
- Danforth Anchor with 12' chain, 150' 3 strand

Saling:
- Genoa
- Storm jib
- Cruising spinnaker
- Spare jib
- Riding sail

Electrical and Comms:
- VHF with AIS receiver
- Handheld VHF
- Iridium Go! (Need to test)

Navigation:
- Chart plotter (Garmin GPS 441s)
- Handheld chart plotter (Garmin 78sc)
- iPad (Weather 4D)
- iPhone
- Books (World Cruising Routes, Ocean Passages)
- Paper charts of planned ports
- Pilots (Printed and digital)

Emergency:
- Liferaft (4 person Revere Offshore Commander)
- EPIRB (registered with NOAA)
- PLB (registered with NOAA)
- Para Anchor (9')
- Emergency tiller
- Plugs

Tools:
- Electric Drill
- Wrenches
- Filter wrench
- Hammer and Mallet
- Epoxy and sealants
- Measuring tape
- Screwdrivers
(Just listing ones that come to mind, please suggest good items to have)

Spares:
- Oil Filters
- Fuel filters
- Blocks, Bolts, Screws
- Spare mainsail
- Spare halyard and line
- Zincs
- Auto pilot belt
(Just listing ones that come to mind, please suggest good items to have)

Formalities:
- Passport
- Flags
- Australian Visa ETA
- Noonsite print outs
- Travel immunization

Some questions:
- Do I need a shore power adapter for different countries?
- Which countries care about proof of boat insurance (I'm with Boat US)
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 13:28   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Pearson 323: Enchantress Circumnavigation Plan

The first thing that comes to mind is Hydrovane spares, additional chain on your primary anchor, and spare halyards and sheets.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 16:09   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Walsh View Post
The first thing that comes to mind is Hydrovane spares, additional chain on your primary anchor, and spare halyards and sheets.

- Hydrovane spares sound good. I'll email them and figure out what's best Or check their site.

- I think the Bruce anchor has more (longer?) chain, and it's 3/8 HT if I remember correctly. Recommendations?

- I do have spare sheets, halyards, and misc. line.

Thanks
Old 28-01-2015, 16:28   #4

Updated image links...

Old 28-01-2015, 16:35   #5

Good luck and Fair Winds
I myself am just entering my second year of my own 5 year plan.
I have done a few long trips as crew and took a
Delorme In Reach with me
My friends and family got a real kick out of following my track
And I felt a bit better that they knew where I was.
It also has two way satellite texting, back up GPS and back up SOS
I bought the unlimited plan about 60 per month
For unlimited texting, great piece of kit
I'd also bring a parallel ruler and dividers, pencils
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 17:59   #6

Boat: Vancouver 27

Your water tankage seems kinda spartan, and your routing awfully compressed! Are there water-catching/making capabilities, and why one year time crunch?

I'm also nearing the end of planning/refit, gearing up to set off.

Fair winds!
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 20:22   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
Good luck and Fair Winds

I myself am just entering my second year of my own 5 year plan.

I have done a few long trips as crew and took a

Delorme In Reach with me

I'm taking an iridium Go! I'll probably send my status and a few updates when I get the feeling. But I think part of this trip is to really get away and enjoy the lack of communication for a change.
Old 28-01-2015, 20:31   #8

Pearson 323: Enchantress Circumnavigation Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
Your water tankage seems kinda spartan, and your routing awfully compressed! Are there water-catching/making capabilities, and why one year time crunch?

I'm also nearing the end of planning/refit, gearing up to set off.

Fair winds!

63 gallons for one person?
How much would you recommend?
I'll have some tarps, funnels, and jerry cans if I need to catch rain.

The time is a bit compressed and maybe that will change. But for now this trip is about movement and sailing. I just got back from a 1.5 yr trip via flying, and now I'm looking for the open ocean more than visiting a particular place. My plan is to go around avoiding tropical storms and hurricanes, I think it's fairly typical. I don't want to wait anywhere for a season to pass... But who knows what will happen, that kind of the point ;-)

And thanks, you too.
Old 28-01-2015, 21:11   #9

Sounds like a great trip. What are your plans for weather updates? Also I didn't see a radar on your list. Same with SSB. Do you think you can get by without them? Just curious as I have no plans to do what you're doing and I admire your ambition.
Jcolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 21:40   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Your compressed time agenda looks pretty risky to me, mate! IF everything goes absolutely to plan, you might make it on that schedule, but the odds of such a long and hurried voyage being without delays for breakage, health issues or just getting tired of pressing onward, ever onward are pretty slim IMO. So, do have various bailout schemes in mind. Your route spends a fair amount of time in cyclone country, and if you get behind sched you could end up with big wx worries.

As to equipment, my first comment is that you should have one all chain rode... something like a minimum of 75 metres. Can add line to extend it, but we've gotten by with about 80 m for a long time. The Bruce, if big enough, will work fine... we used one for years. For your boat, I'd want it to be at least 20 kg, and a genuine Bruce, not a knock off. You will be getting all sorts of advice about what you MUST take with you. Don't obsess about it! If you have had everything you needed for shorter voyages, you will likely be ok. I would, however, very strongly advise at least an AIS receiver, but better a transceiver, class B. Perhaps the best advance in safety at sea for a single hander since the invention of windvanes, and I think it foolish for you not to have that advantage.

As to electrical adapters, yes, if you will be in marinas and want shore power, adapters will be required... and do remember that many of the places you plan to visit use 240 V 50 Hz mains power, so some means of dealing with that are required. FWIW, we simply bought a battery charger that would run on either sort of power, and that is all we run from shore power on those rare occasions that we are in a marina. An on board inverter supplies the AC where needed.

Insurance? Yes, the requirement for at least third party insurance is becoming universal. Do be sure that your Boat US coverage extends to all the areas you wish to visit, and that you won't be violating any of their calendar restrictions (re cyclone seasons, etc).
I didn't know that BoatUS did offshore coverage.

I'm running out of steam and will quit now. Good luck with the planning and the execution of your voyage.

Jim
Old 28-01-2015, 21:52   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcolman View Post
Sounds like a great trip. What are your plans for weather updates? Also I didn't see a radar on your list. Same with SSB. Do you think you can get by without them? Just curious as I have no plans to do what you're doing and I admire your ambition.

Weather will be done by GRIB via Iridium Go! and Weather 4D app on iPad. There is a pretty good post about it somewhere here on the forums.

No radar, I plan to avoid fog and keep a decent watch at night. I have AIS to avoid other boats too.

The Iridium Go! is also the substitute for an SSB in my book.

Thanks
Old 28-01-2015, 22:11   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Your compressed time agenda looks pretty risky to me, mate! ...

As to equipment, my first comment is that you should have one all chain rode... something like a minimum of 75 metres. Can add line to extend it, but we've gotten by with about 80 m for a long time. The Bruce, if big enough, will work fine... we used one for years. For your boat, I'd want it to be at least 20 kg, ... I would, however, very strongly advise at least an AIS receiver, but better a transceiver, class B...

As to electrical adapters, ...

Insurance? Yes, the requirement for at least third party insurance is becoming universal. ...

I didn't know that BoatUS did offshore coverage.

Jim

I'll creat plans B and C when I notice my schedule slipping. I have a fair amount of flexibility. But yes, WX is the main concern.

I've seen a lot of books and suggestions about lots of chain, but Most of the places I've marked to anchor are not deep. When is this chain being used?

My Bruce is 15kg which is suggested for 40' boats and my delta is a bit oversized too. I used the delta primarily and damn does it hold. Tornado season on the east coast, the boat almost tipped over, but the anchor stayed put, with little scope.

I do have AIS built into my VHF and shows up on my Garmin 441s. Yes, it is amazing equipment. The alarm goes crazy here in the SF bay so I rarely use it, but on the open waters, invaluable.

I'll check out battery chargers with 240v

I don't think BoatUS does offshore coverage, does anyone know a good insurance to carry off shore and internationally?

Thanks a bunch Jim
Old 28-01-2015, 22:49   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I've seen a lot of books and suggestions about lots of chain, but Most of the places I've marked to anchor are not deep. When is this chain being used?

My Bruce is 15kg which is suggested for 40' boats and my delta is a bit oversized too. I used the delta primarily and damn does it hold. Tornado season on the east coast, the boat almost tipped over, but the anchor stayed put, with little scope.
Well, I don't know where you plan to anchor, but really, how can you sit in Sunnyvale and predict where you will need to anchor? That isn't a realistic idea IMO. Over the years we've ended up anchoring in lots of places that were not in the game plan, and some of them were damn deep (and we were damn glad to be there!). Much of your proposed route is through coral waters, and in those places, chain is the only sensible rode. Ground tackle is one of your ultimate safety devices, and should be scaled for worst case usage, not the average!

I have no experience with Delta anchors, and will not comment beyond saying that they have been reported here on CF to have their drawbacks. Bruce anchors seem to work better in the larger sizes. Besides my own experience with them, Evans Starzinger has reported the same opinion. I suspect it has to do with their fairly blunt penetrating shapes needing some help in getting into harder substrates, but I'm no expert! At any rate, when we went from a 20 to a 30 kg Bruce we found that it would set better (meaning quicker) in difficult bottoms. Obviously, the ultimate holding power is better, but the speed of engagement improvement is useful too.

I haven't looked at their recent offerings, but Pro Mariner was the mfg that supplied our 110/240 volt battery charger. They came in various sizes and with varying degrees of sophistication.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 29-01-2015, 07:59   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, I don't know where you plan to anchor, but really, how can you sit in Sunnyvale and predict where you will need to anchor? That isn't a realistic idea IMO. Over the years we've ended up anchoring in lots of places that were not in the game plan, and some of them were damn deep (and we were damn glad to be there!). Much of your proposed route is through coral waters, and in those places, chain is the only sensible rode. Ground tackle is one of your ultimate safety devices, and should be scaled for worst case usage, not the average!

I have no experience with Delta anchors, and will not comment beyond saying that they have been reported here on CF to have their drawbacks. Bruce anchors seem to work better in the larger sizes. Besides my own experience with them, Evans Starzinger has reported the same opinion. I suspect it has to do with their fairly blunt penetrating shapes needing some help in getting into harder substrates, but I'm no expert! At any rate, when we went from a 20 to a 30 kg Bruce we found that it would set better (meaning quicker) in difficult bottoms. Obviously, the ultimate holding power is better, but the speed of engagement improvement is useful too.

I haven't looked at their recent offerings, but Pro Mariner was the mfg that supplied our 110/240 volt battery charger. They came in various sizes and with varying degrees of sophistication.

Cheers,

Jim

I think you're right about the chain. I'll measure the one I have on my Bruce, and if it's not 100' or more I'll go shopping. You're recommending 80m?

What boat were you on when switching from 20 to 30?

The Delta has worked perfect as a primary, but heard good things about the Bruce. I picked up the Bruce in Annapolis mainly to have a variety for different bottom conditions, but only used it once or twice because the delta always sticks.

I'll look at pro mariner.

Thanks again.
Old 29-01-2015, 09:00   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I would sell the Para Anchor and buy a Jordan series drogue. This style of drogue works of the stern and keeps the stern to the waves relieving any strain or shock to the rudder.

The rear corners of the Pearson 36's transom were built up from underneath to 1" thickness to accept two 3/8" x 2" x 20" tangs where the Jordan series drogue is attached.

I removed the cockpit speakers and there was room behind the companionway boards to slide a 1/4" piece of aluminum plate to strengthen the companionway.

Also, if you have ventilation or dorades on the deck, you should figure a way to close them in a storm/roll over situation.

I don't see jacklines or harnesses on your list. Do you have a boarding ladder? Do you think of trailing a line to grab and disconnect the autopilot in case you go swimming unintentionally?

I prefer a Manson Supreme to all other anchors, it sets well even in kelp and can be setup to a anchor buoy that will easily allow one to pull the anchor forwards to unhook it from another cable.

ProMariner made (makes) a great 40 amp charger that works on all voltages 100-240 50/60 cycles. They also have great service. There was a rain water leak over the installation location and I hadn't installed the rain guard. They replaced the unit for free. What you have to consider when you have a large battery bank is how long a shore-powered charger will bring the batteries up. I have a 3GM30F and upgraded the stock alternator to a 100 amp Balmar. I have five Optima Series 31 Yellow Tops and they like to eat amps.

I went with a SuperWind 350 for offshore power. I didn't like the idea of dragging a "lure" through the water. The SuperWind saved my butt in the middle of the Atlantic after my crew flattened the batteries one night.

All in all, I think you have a good plan and are well-prepared. If you get anywhere near Amsterdam or the IJsselmeer, I would like to meet you.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, enc, navigation, pearson