Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-11-2005, 21:45   #1

Boat: Seafarer, Swfitsure, 30 - Irish Rover
Pearson 10M

I know these "which boat" questions come up all the time, and I have searched in this and other forums, but havent come up with anything regarding the Pearson 10M.

I had been looking at the Tartan 34C, but wanted something a bit faster (judging by phrf ratings) so I found the Tartan 33, which sounds great but cant find too many for my price range (25-30) I then found the Pearson 10M, which has a even lower phrf rating.

I checked out an independent yacht survey from 1978 and they raved about the boat, excellent build, sailing characteristics, and layout. They believed it could be easily be an offshore boat. I'm not planning on full on offshore cruising, but its just something to compare to. (my seafarer 30 was rated as semi protected, the tartan 34c was rated as possibly offshore except they werent too keen on the single lowers)

I've read a few owners reviews on sailnet and all were positive. Any other opinions on this boat? I'm looking for something fairly fast, singlehandable, and sturdy enough to work my way down the islands someday. My seafarer 30 doesnt quite fit the bill.
Thanks!

Old 25-01-2010, 12:49   #2

Boat: Pearson 10M
Sean,

Could you post a link to the survey you mention in your post? I have a Pearson 10M and would lover to read it. Thanks!

Old 25-01-2010, 19:48   #3

They're great boats. They sail very well, reasonable construction, and the cockpit is a very good layout for single-handing. The helm is forward, so you can easily trim the main and jib from the helm. Not too many boats have that.

A few things to consider.

First, they all are old at this point, which means condition will be an important consideration. Likewise, they're likely to have dated equipment.

Second, most, if not all, of them came with gasoline engines. Plenty of boats have them, but if the PO has not yet repowered, you may be looking at that.

Third, they are a bit spartan. You can "cure" this for sure, but just be aware.

I have a really close friend who has been sailing his 10M for over 20 years at this point, he loves her, I've sailed on her quite a bit, and I really do like the boat. For club racing, day sailing, weekending, and possibly longer cruising for a couple with proper updating, you could do a lot worse.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:07   #4

Boat: Pearson 10M
Pearson 10M

Since SeanC has not replied...does anyone else on this forum know where I can find a copy of the "independent yacht survey from 1978" done for the Pearson 10M?

I own a 10M from the last 3 years and love it. Any help here would be appreciated. I would also like to connect to other Pearson 10M owners that are out there. I am in contact with a few only. Cheers!
Old 24-08-2010, 18:02   #5

Here is a link to Dan Pfeiffer's P10M site. Tons of great info there that will help any 10M owner and lots of other boat owners as well.
Old 24-08-2010, 22:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
Here is a link to Dan Pfeiffer's P10M site. Tons of great info there that will help any 10M owner and lots of other boat owners as well.

oops, forgot the link. Here it is:

P e a r s o n &nbsp&nbsp 1 0 M

Tags
pearson

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: