Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2018, 06:09   #1

Passport 41

Ahoy. Looking for information/owners of Passport 41. I know they only made a limited number, I believe 9, of them and I'm trying to educate myself a little more about this boat. Have the opportunity to purchase one and she seems like a wonderful boat. Looking for owners opinions or notes on issues that may have arisen on their boat. Any help would be greatly appreciated..
Strayed Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 05:32   #2

Boat: Passport 40
Re: Passport 41

There is a passport owners association that is great for information. I looked into buying a passport 40 which I believe is the same boat just without the stern scoop. The biggest issue that keeps me away is the possible failure of the chain plates. They are attached with "knees" to the hull and are almost impossible to survey without. pulling apart the cabinetry . This is a known place of failure in these boats.

That being said there are many of these boats that have circumnavigated and never had an issue. So I am unsure of the percentage of failure. There is one really nice 41 for sale, well maintained and such. I am not there yet
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 05:38   #3

Thanks for the info Brookie. I know the passport 40 is a great boat and since they only made a handful of the 41 s, information is pretty scarce. I've gone over the boat and she seems to be in excellent condition. Of course full-survey, including standing rigging, would be in order as they don't give these things away unfortunately.
Old 26-09-2018, 21:03   #4

Boat: Passport 42

We just bought a P42- the Stan Huntingford design and not the Bob Perry. Design. I am very impressed with its condition design layout- generally a solid well thought through yacht
ozzieKochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 00:32   #5

Boat: Passport 40

I love my Passport 40. Robert Perry is a friggin genius. To really understand what makes the Passport a Passport, you need to love actually sailing. I think the most approximate description of how well a Passport 40 sails, and behaves, is Kretschmer's review

Make no mistake, this is a true world class sailing boat, with a design that values stuff like a great galley. Regarding the chainplates, you don't need to disassemble cabinetry in a destructive way or anything along those lines. Just remove some screws. If anyone is interested in selling, they should be able to show you the chainplates.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 03:40   #6

Congrats on the P42 ozzieKochie! I've watched John's review video several times and he truly does seem impressed with the P40. Rightly so. I agree wholeheartedly that Bob Perry is a genius. Thanks for the clarification on the chainplates Gaucho. That's the stuff I'm looking for. Do you have an on board genny and if so, where did you put it? Dive compressor???
Old 27-09-2018, 04:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strayed Arrow View Post
Congrats on the P42 ozzieKochie! I've watched John's review video several times and he truly does seem impressed with the P40. Rightly so. I agree wholeheartedly that Bob Perry is a genius. Thanks for the clarification on the chainplates Gaucho. That's the stuff I'm looking for. Do you have an on board genny and if so, where did you put it? Dive compressor???

The P42 is based in Raiatea- beautiful part of the world- I am in Australia and my boat partner is in USA. He has a P40, and we were both impressed with both yachts. From what I see so far the P42 doesn’t get enough credit- I think Stan did an excellent job.
Generator- we have a portable one which lives in the garage. Dive compressor is on our lit but still havent got there yet.
Old 27-09-2018, 04:30   #8

I've got a portable as well and I think I'm just going to go that route. Gives me more flexibility and the ability to take it ashore if need be. The dive compressor is going to be a big issue for us as we never get enough underwater time. Going to look at the boat again Saturday with the express intent of finding a place to put a compressor. Agree that the P42 is a beautiful boat and rarely talked about. One of the reasons I like the P41 is because of the swim step which will make transitioning with dive gear and a large bird dog easier. I've also been looking at a Tayana 42 Vancouver but it is a double ender like the P42 and just don't know if I'm sold yet because of the diving. It has storage for days though!
Old 27-09-2018, 05:03   #9

Boat: Cal 33-2

Friends have a Passport 41, bought new 15-20 years ago. They have sailed her all over the east coast and islands from Labrador to Curacao. Definitely not a light air performer. They had issues in the first years, primarily due to fitting out done by the Maryland dealer. Biggest problem was a fuel tank that failed due to improper welds and dumped the fuel into the bilge while they were in the islands. Very expensive cleanup and tank replacement. The dealer refused to take any responsibility.
Old 27-09-2018, 05:15   #10

That sucks. Doing the right thing is more of a superpower these days. So few people possess the ability to do it.
Old 27-10-2018, 16:02   #11

Hey Strayed Arrow- How’d you go?
Old 31-10-2018, 05:57   #12

We decided to make an offer on the Tayana Vancouver 42 cc. It just checked more boxes for us than the Passport 41. Have started the survey process and so far so good. Hope to close by the middle of the month. The Passport is a beautiful boat but we have put a lot of thought into exactly what we want / need for long-term purposes and the Tayana just fits our lifestyle better. The boat has been basically refit, up to and including a brand new engine, and has been very well taken care of. I still have the issue of getting my bird dog up and down the companionway ladder but who doesn't like losing sleep over a good mental challenge. Haha
Old 31-10-2018, 09:32   #13

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Passport 41

I think you will be happy with your Tayana V 42 if it has been well maintained. Mine is an aft cockpit model but they are all well designed and stoutly built. They are sweet sailing, comfortable and built to take care of you at sea. The cutter rig with self tacking staysail is a joy to sail. Enjoy!

You will love the interior woodwork. Guests will ooh and aah about the warm quality of your cabin. Climbing up the companionway becomes second nature after a time, for you but perhaps not for your dog.

Some things to be careful about are the fuel tanks and the lead of the anchor chain to the windlass in the recessed deck well.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 09:54   #14

I think the Passport 41 was the first version after they changed builders from the great Ta Shing yard to a cheaper Chinese yard. My opinion is they are not as great as the old yard. May be just fine though. I had this discussion with the owner of Passport Yachts after looking at a 41 many years ago. But as with all things, I'm a bit wary when a new learning curve starts. Anyway, congrats on the Vancouver.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote