Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2019, 15:44   #1

Boat: Gulfstar, Hirsch, 45'
Partner boats to Bahamas

We've been preparing for a trip across the GS to the Bahamas WX permitting, but would like to accompany one or more boats that are also headed over to the islands.

We have experience coastal sailing, just not across the big river. Our sailboat is 45' and well equipped so we have capability, but not confidence. We've read tons on the do's and don't and are very proficient at understanding WX forecasting from our pilot days.

We are targeting week3 or 4 in June, if anyone is planning, we would appreciate a travel buddy to follow or at least stay in sight of and have communication ability if needed.

Thanks for my "rookie" posting
Rubicon King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 16:10   #2

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: Partner boats to Bahamas

Hi there Rubicon King, we will be crossing some time in April or May, depending on how refitting goes, or it may end up later than that, which would put us in your time window. David and I are on Avignon, a Tayana 37 cutter, together with our cat and dog.

Lake Lanier, GA is the extent of our sailing experience heretofore... we trucked the boat down here to get ready and just go for it, Bahamas first. Like you, much of our knowledge is textbook, though we are thorough students, so it would be reassuring to have company out there, or at a minimum someone to radio dirty jokes to

Keep in touch, we could make a flotilla.
weazardofinance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 16:33   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We buddy boated once, when our friends had damage to their rudder. If you plan to remain in sight of each other, the faster boat will have to slow to not out distance the slower one.

It would also be wise to figure out just how each of you could render assistance to the other in the event it were needed, just what kinds of difficulties you can anticipate.

If any of those plans means leaving your own boat to help the others, make sure that whoever is left with your boat is competent to sail it.

Ann
Old 14-03-2019, 17:14   #4

Boat: Gulfstar, Hirsch, 45'

Thanks for the input, all solid comments. Planning will be key. Also, I like the flotilla idea as well. My boat cruises at 7Kts, but I can slow down if needed. "Dirty Jokes". LMAO
Rubicon King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 11:13   #5

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

Good plan, There is a anchorage/marina around Biscayne Bay, ??/No Name Marina..something like that, where boats gather waiting for the correct conditions to cross and also buddy boat. From what I have read there is usually several boats waiting and looking for the same thing you are.
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 15:46   #6

Boat: Catalina 470

It’s really not that daunting, you just need to watch for a reasonable window without winds with any northerly component. In the middle of buying a new (to us) boat in the Fort Lauderdale area, as our old one got crushed at her dock by a 100ft motor yacht. Depending upon where things are at, we may be in a position to cross with you, just can’t commit yet. Give me a shout and we can chat...

Regards,
David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 17:35   #7

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Hang out in the Palm Beach , Peanut Island anchorage and you will meet several crossing boats. June is no big deal. Have fun!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 17:58   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

A good weather window you will likely find yourself with several boats, it just happens that way, when I left I had two boats right near me.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, boat