Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 13:06   #1

Parting out an older boat

Anybody have experience with economics of parting out a boat?
I have a 32 ft. 1972 Coronado that has been on the Minnesota market for several years with no interest at any price.

7,000 pound iron keel, lots of usable winches and hardware, spinnaker pole, full set of sails, anchor tackle, heavy steel cradle and a 36 hp Universal diesel with 125 hours.
ranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 13:23   #2
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch
Re: Parting out an older boat

40 odd years and only 125 hours, seems that might sell easy if you could run it for people. Will it fire right up?
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 21:58   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I have done it a few times. Typically you break even on it unless you have someone that can bring in a few big checks. The keel is obviously a big hit at the recycle yard but you need to call around to all the local yards and see what they offer. The downside is it takes a lot of time to get rid of all the pieces... Particularly old non-self tailing winches, deck hardware, ect which while very expensive new, doesn't demand much on the used market.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:54   #4
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

I knew someone that did it for a living. He would have it hauled then take a sawzall and cut out keel and hardware. He made most of the money on the keel if it was lead. Costs include haulout, yard fees, dumpster for fiberglass and trailering the keel to a recycler. Then you need a place to store the parts till they sell. Is the boat in awful condition? I know someone who would probably buy engine/trans. He's got a 30 islander that needs power.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:27   #5

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

NO takers at ANY price? Come on... who wouldn't give a loving home to a boat like that for a couple grand! If it were in New Orleans and you just wanted to get rid of it "at any price", we would be talking now.

Try ebay. Not knowing anything about your boat I would bet you get at least $5k for it if it is at least float-worthy and has all rigging in good shape, and the engine starts. I would put it on ebay with maybe a $3k reserve, rather than try to part it out. But if you do part it out, I might want the engine if the price is right and it was freshwater cooled.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:22   #6

The recyclers we used discounted 'unclean' metals severely. A caution to those thinking the keel may be easy to sell as scrap. Unclean meant any oil, paint, bolts, etc.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 17:11   #7

Ebay a good idea. I didnt know you could specify a minimum price.
The engine is only 6 years old , repowered from the original Palmer.
ranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 22:30   #8

Boat: I have been from 8' sabot to a 65' Ketch. I am over the Norsea 27 and looking for 50'+

You will have to get a special permit to dispove of the fiberglass hull...which isn't cheap! Donate the boat and take a right off...or blow it out cheap. Try $3500 or so.
Tropicyachty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:13   #9

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

eBay is a good option if you simply want to be rid of it once and for all. Yes you can set a reserve and make sure it is realistically low or you might not get a bid over it. I feel it is good to get a bid or two early on. It increases interest. You need to get serious buyers to come see the boat.

Be sure to clearly state as is, where is. Look at other sailboat auctions for examples of what works and what doesn't. The only problem I see is your location. You are presenting to a limited market. If it were on the coast so the new owner could sail it home it would be worth more because there would be more interest.

Is it in the water or on the hard?

If the engine was already removed and in New Orleans I could go $2000 for it and the prop. So it should be worth that to a local. But once again you are playing to a limited market.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:34   #10
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicyachty View Post
You will have to get a special permit to dispove of the fiberglass hull...which isn't cheap! Donate the boat and take a right off...or blow it out cheap. Try $3500 or so.
No special permits needed in FL. Just call a dumpster company and fill er up. Must be a state regulation where your at.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote