Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2019, 14:02   #166
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
I know we said it was cold, outside right now its 3 degrees Fahrenheit! I imagine we will get into the negatives tonight for certain. I know Dan Adland is likely in similar weather as well.

Here are a few photos of the boat buried under the snow, If I am honest I don't live knocking all the snow off and working in such cold lol. Dreaming of the South Pacific right now.

Oh, anyone here ever used composite thru hull fittings?
unless the original bronze are dead( and I bet they are just as good as the day they were cast.
I would stay with them. Never heard of anything shifting and breaking one of them . But have heard of boats sinking from broken Marlon thru hull fittings.
Old 18-02-2019, 18:38   #167

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Beautiful shots of the snow!
thru-hulls: some say Marelon are great, others say no way. I suppose they are fine as long as they are in a place where nothing heavy can ever fall on them. Still they do seem pretty tough to me and actually if anything falls hard on a bronze one it can be damaged too of course, and more likely it will cause the hose to leak. As far as boat leaks I'd consider stuffing box failures and hose fittings at the the thru-hulls to be the two big ones to keep an eye on. I still have the originals, bronze, on my boat, still seem fine. Good thing too! The thru-hulls are glassed in! Are you looking to add or replace old ones?

Don,

Glad they are replacing those extinguishers for you. As far as the thru hull fittings the ones we have operate fine since she was dry and still floating haha. But while its out of the water and we are doing glass work thought it would be a good time to put in something more modern and flush mounted instead of the mushroom heads.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 18:40   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
unless the original bronze are dead( and I bet they are just as good as the day they were cast.
I would stay with them. Never heard of anything shifting and breaking one of them . But have heard of boats sinking from broken Marlon thru hull fittings.
good to know. I wish they were flush thru hull bronze models. I measured for our composting head today and looks like I may need to relocate the two thru hull fittings located in the head to accomidate the C-Head wedge back.
Old 18-02-2019, 19:14   #169

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Don,

Glad they are replacing those extinguishers for you. As far as the thru hull fittings the ones we have operate fine since she was dry and still floating haha. But while its out of the water and we are doing glass work thought it would be a good time to put in something more modern and flush mounted instead of the mushroom heads.
Personally I say if they are good, then leave them. The mushroom heads are good. I don't know of any advantage to switching to flush mount. If you are thinking of speed, then MAYBE in a race to Hawaii you might beat me by 2 minutes. Leave the flush mount for the crazy racers IMO
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 19:53   #170
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
good to know. I wish they were flush thru hull bronze models. I measured for our composting head today and looks like I may need to relocate the two thru hull fittings located in the head to accomidate the C-Head wedge back.
personally I recommend what I am doing myself. Remove the valve off of the outflow and cap it . Leave the raw water intake in place valve and all. Never know when you might need it. ( that's my water supply for my watermaker )
that should buy you the room you need for the head.
Worst case remove the outflow completely and glass the hole over .
Old 18-02-2019, 20:02   #171

sounds good guys, will do some mor emeasuring. Havent ordered it yet but this week I believe. Got a bunch of new stuff going and actually got a carpenter up today and he can start this week with the cabinets and door.

I would like to use the existing thru hulls for a water maker as Newhaul did which is on the future list. Just need to make sure it fits with the composting head.
Old 25-02-2019, 11:52   #172

Montana strikes again! The carpenter no showed and after calling him he said his son was in town and maybe he could get to the boat next month, etc. etc. Very disappointing as we have had an exceedingly difficult time locating a carpenter to name their price and come and do the work we need and want.

As if this wasn’t enough, we drove 17 hours straight to get back in time last night through a blizzard and twenty vehicle pile up to get home in time for the previously mentioned carpenter and tiler installer who decided the morning of he wouldn’t make the appointment since he didn’t have four wheel drive. For those of you who live in the mountains, WHO in the heck doesn’t have four-wheel drive!

Can’t wait to experience some more summer and some more south pacific!
Old 25-02-2019, 12:41   #173

Yep, familiar with Montana ( my old boat is now on Flathead Lake) I thought everybody had a 4x4 pickup or a Subaru.
Have you been following that thread called Fridge and watermaker in a 27’ mono? No way I could afford (or need right now) all that stuff but there could be some good tips in there for you.
Old 25-02-2019, 13:12   #174
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yep, familiar with Montana ( my old boat is now on Flathead Lake) I thought everybody had a 4x4 pickup or a Subaru.
Have you been following that thread called Fridge and watermaker in a 27’ mono? No way I could afford (or need right now) all that stuff but there could be some good tips in there for you.
don for you a dorm fridge and small inverter would work great for your week long cruises.
Old 25-02-2019, 14:45   #175

Boat: Roberts Spray 27

Glad to hear you folks are home safely, in any case. Tough here at the ranch, too--calves coming in a couple of weeks (or sooner) and no end to the cold weather in sight. At least I now have propane heat in the shop (plus the woodstove), so hope to get back at the Spray when it warms up just a tad.
Dan Aadland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 15:27   #176

Dan,

Propane heat is sure a luxury and I cannot wait to get my wood stove pipe set up in the garage/shop.

Don,

I too thought prudent people in Montana had 4x4's, I am wrong. I haven't seen the watermaker and fridge thread but will start looking for it. Sounds like those folks are looking for similar systems in a small package like ours.
Old 25-02-2019, 16:27   #177
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here ya go
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-214405-5.html
Old 25-02-2019, 21:35   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
don for you a dorm fridge and small inverter would work great for your week long cruises.
Yeah, I've considered a small fridge but so far I have done ok by pre-freezing all the food that can be frozen, or that comes frozen, and packing a regular cooler full and tight and taping it shut. I packed the food in the order it would be used and only opened it to remove the food needed. We pre-cooked some things and then froze them so they just needed to be warmed up (That's a good tip for kids especially, to be sure you have something quick and easy to cook that they will LIKE!). One medium cooler for me and the kids per week, and we were out last summer for a 2 week stretch before coming back in. Whatever could not be frozen could make it for most or all of 2 weeks kept ocean cool, like fruits, veggies and eggs... and beer for dad (I don't mind ocean cool beer).... Milk was box soy milk or almond milk. Bread was the tough one. I only got a week out of that. I may get another cooler just for bread. I have not yet sprung for one of the super duper coolers, but I just may... but where to put it...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 25-02-2019, 22:08   #179
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yeah, I've considered a small fridge but so far I have done ok by pre-freezing all the food that can be frozen, or that comes frozen, and packing a regular cooler full and tight and taping it shut. I packed the food in the order it would be used and only opened it to remove the food needed. We pre-cooked some things and then froze them so they just needed to be warmed up (That's a good tip for kids especially, to be sure you have something quick and easy to cook that they will LIKE!). One medium cooler for me and the kids per week, and we were out last summer for a 2 week stretch before coming back in. Whatever could not be frozen could make it for most or all of 2 weeks kept ocean cool, like fruits, veggies and eggs... and beer for dad (I don't mind ocean cool beer).... Milk was box soy milk or almond milk. Bread was the tough one. I only got a week out of that. I may get another cooler just for bread. I have not yet sprung for one of the super duper coolers, but I just may... but where to put it...
whole wheat lasts best
Old 26-02-2019, 12:27   #180

we have identified one of those 12v/110v fridge freezer combos to be workable for us.

Tags
columbia, grass, refit