Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2013, 07:54   #31

Boat: Cal 2-27
Re: painting hull and deck...why make the boat smooth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Restoring gel coat is better than painting because, if the resulting finish is right, it will last longer. Give the cutting paste a shot on one section - perhaps the transom. If the gel coat is really bad machine sand with 1000 grit paper first and then go to the cutting.
The boat had a total of at least 8 holes on the transom from bolted on brackets. I'll take a photo later today to show what I'm talking about. I did not want to paint. Promise. I want to be in the water.
Old 19-05-2013, 08:06   #32

Boat: Able 50

Why are the holes relevant ? I only suggested the transom because it is little and so a good place to test.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 08:16   #33

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Why are the holes relevant ? I only suggested the transom because it is little and so a good place to test.
The holes are relevant because even if I had the gelcoat looking good and not being chalky, there would still be 8 holes there. 2 holes on the deck from systems that are no longer there that I filled. Random chips that were filled. So even if the gelcoat looked ok at the end of it, there would be a lot of crap that I feel should be covered up so it looks better for me and the wife.

I'll post some photos today.
Old 19-05-2013, 08:39   #34

Boat: Columbia 45 / Iroquois 30

I just painted my 30 foot cat with rustoleum marine white gloss. I prepped with 80 grit, then filler in some gouges and another 80 grit. Cleaned the hull with marine clean. Then rolled with a small roller. Let it dry for a few days then a fast wet sand with 220 grit. another wash and dry then next coat. It looks pretty dam good. I didnt need perfection I just needed it to look good. Paint cost 30 bucks and I have significant left overs.

I had tested the paint on my cabin top of my big boat about a year ago. And after about a year in the florida sun, other that it needing washing its holding up pretty good.. Now on My big boat Ill use the interlux below the rub rail and the rustoleum above the rail mainly because I can touch up quickly and inexpensively. I went with that on the small boat for ease of maintenance. Its just easier and if washed and touched up it should hold for quite a while. As the paint gets older Ill update my opinion of the paint.
sushirama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 09:57   #35

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
The holes are relevant because even if I had the gelcoat looking good and not being chalky, there would still be 8 holes there. 2 holes on the deck from systems that are no longer there that I filled. Random chips that were filled. So even if the gelcoat looked ok at the end of it, there would be a lot of crap that I feel should be covered up so it looks better for me and the wife.

I'll post some photos today.
There's no point in beating yourself up doing something the hard way when there's an easier way that will last longer too. If the transom really offends the sensibilities then paint it only and polish the topsides. Do you know that gel coat can be colour matched ?

Evercoat
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 10:01   #36
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I know someone who painted her car with latex house paint, many years ago on a student budget.

She said it was marvelous, no one ever tried to steal the car.

And it couldn't hurt the resale value either, considering what she'd paid for it in the first place.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 15:11   #37

Boat: csy 37

a long time liveaboard sailor here in titusville paints his 44 footer with ace hardware porch and deck paint every few years...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 15:14   #38
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"every few years... "
That's much more fun than looking at the same boring old color of Imron or Alwgrip for ten or fifteen years at a shot.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 15:58   #39

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: painting hull and deck...why make the boat smooth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"every few years... "
That's much more fun than looking at the same boring old color of Imron or Alwgrip for ten or fifteen years at a shot.
Just what I was thinking. My carapace is shiny sky blue ... and has been for a long time.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 16:04   #40

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA
Well - I paint and love the finish of good old topside enamels (with added Penitrol to improve leveling). However - this weekend I saw a sailboat that had been wrapped and you know what - It looked great! I'll keep an eye on it for a few years to see how it holds up. Don't ask me how you remove it to re-do... Owner said it cost $1800.00 (apx 27' boat) and took 2 hours to have done. Impressive but we'll see in time...
Old 19-05-2013, 21:50   #41

Boat: Cape North 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
Another quick question. I am going to be using kiwi grip for the grip. That being said, not really a point of putting new paint below the kiwi grip, should I skip on painting the areas with the rustolium that will be covered with kiwi? I'm not sure if there is a reason for one way or the other, but if there is an anyone knows, it would be appreciated.
The guy that just re-decked my boat and painted the house just painted the non-skid parts and waterways and then kiwi-gripped all the rest. You could get in contact with kiwigrip to check compatibility with your paint.
BriRich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull