Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2016, 21:41   #1

Boat: Colvic Sea Rover 28ft
Painting BEFORE Transport - CA to OR

Hi all,

Ok I know the answer to this question most likely - but would like to see if anyone has ever done this?

We have an ole 69 Colvic Sea Rover in Monterey Bay for which "to us" is that vintage vessel deserving of careful restoration. As we understand, we are only one of seven in the US. She is solid, like battleship solid! (A motor sailer - not loved by those who love speed

We have recently moved to Portland and have had her in Monterey Bay for the past 2 decades and are ready to ship her up north. Our boatyard in Monterey, is offering a crazy great deal (winter discounts) for bottom paint - topside (possibly even deck) that is far lower than any quote we have received here in Portland. This boat is in desperate need of paint job, last one is likely 8 years ago. We have had timely hull cleanings over the years but she is dull!!!

So wondering, how risky would it be to have her painted before hauling her up to Portland on a flatbed trailer ( she is a triple keel - so can sit directly on bed. Not sure if this boatyard offers shrink wrap? We would love to take advantage of this pricing but not with the possibility of having a completely scraped up boat on this end when she arrives? Have never moved a boat so don't entirely know what to expect?

As well, the boatyard is advising we remove the mast for transport, our mast is a tabernacle mast and so I would also love to hear about prep on that? Should we completely disconnect mast, instead of just folding down?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, recommendations, advice, and likely admonishment on why we are spending the money to move a boat this old

Thanks gang
SD
Sdoss69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 21:45   #2
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Painting BEFORE Transport - CA to OR

Regarding anti fouling paint: The wisdom of doing this completely depends upon what type of paint you intend to use. Hard paints cannot withstand more than a few days exposed to air. FYI.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 21:48   #3

We are moving from saltwater to fresh here - however ina few years plan to bring her up to Seattle so we can sail the San Juans. What would you recommend? I did read a bit about this - I am guessing may be out of the water for over two weeks - so would we be forced to use a paint that ultimately wouldn't last long to accommodate two weeks of air exposure?
Old 17-10-2016, 21:51   #4
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdoss69 View Post
We are moving from saltwater to fresh here - however ina few years plan to bring her up to Seattle so we can sail the San Juans. What would you recommend? I did read a bit about this - I am guessing may be out of the water for over two weeks - so would we be forced to use a paint that ultimately wouldn't last long to accommodate two weeks of air exposure?
You can use an ablative paint. No problems with exposure to air. What's on the bottom now?
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 21:54   #5

We're not sure - when we bought the boat, the previous owner had self painted- rather why we are ponying up for professional job - figure we need to sand this all down and get a nice smooth job and also observe to learn to do this ourselves next go around
Old 17-10-2016, 21:54   #6

Thanks by the way!
Old 18-10-2016, 00:48   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Something to consider,

The boat's old, maybe paint sick. How're you going to tell from Portland that she is adequately prepped? Whatever you put on her in CA may not be suited to the Portland waters.

I honestly think you'll be better off in the long run to bite the more expensive bullet. Sometimes we've been caught out trying to be TOO frugal.

Talk to others in your area, find out who's good, and reasonable, and, maybe, even, talented. Get to know them, and give them your business.

Ann, from halfway 'round the world.
Old 18-10-2016, 03:26   #8

Ask the yard in Portland to pricematch. Show them the quote you already have. Might be worth a try.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 09:15   #9

Boat: Casacde 36

Get a reputable transporter and you won't have damage issues. Take their paint job offer and just roll on another coat of bottom paint, if conditions so dictate, prior to launch.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 10:24   #10

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

IMO there are a limited number of DIY yards and consequently you may find the expense of services a bit high up here. On the other hand is it possible to be more expensive than California? I have no experience with PDX yards, but some friends have had good luck with Danish Marine. If you paint before the trip, a coat of ablative paint should be pretty quick and easy before you splash. Moving from salt to fresh water, I also believe it is recommended to install aluminium anodes instead of zincs.
Old 18-10-2016, 10:35   #11

For the topside etc paint I would not do it. I have shipped boats 2 times, both times there was some minor damage to the topsides.
If you do it anyway, be sure to request some extra paint.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 10:47   #12

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 36'

Just did this for my Cheoy Lee Clipper, moving her from SF Bay to Portland. Despite the offer from your boat yard in CA, don't bother doing the painting until you have the boat moved. There are so many ways you can damage fresh paint while hauling /transporting the boat. Most of the reputable boat movers have insurance coverage for damage which may happen during the move, but do you really want to have to deal with insurance claims and then have the boat repainted? I used San Diego Boat movers for the transport and Schooner Creek Boat Works in Portland for the painting. "A+" awarded to both for their customer service and fine workmanship.
SBren754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 11:17   #13
F10

Boat: S&S 34

I just stripped all the paint below the waterline on my S&S 34 (had 30 years of all types of paint) by sanding and scraping. Then dried the hull out for a few months and barrier coated, then ablative bottom paint. Huge job I did myself. It would have been best to soda blast but that is not available in Hawaii yet. Does your boat require total bottom paint removal, and if so, what will you find?

I also painted top side with 2 part Awlgrip. I plan to do the deck in the future. Also painted mast with Awlgrip after sanding and prepping.

One thing two keep in mind with the Awlgrip (or just about any 1 or 2 part paint) is that the paint needs at least a month and maybe several depending on you climate and weather to really harden. Awlgrip will not take abrasion until it is fully cured which takes weeks even with the best atmospheric conditions.

I would not chance it, wait until you get to Seattle to paint.
F10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 18:38   #14

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2

FWIW, I am having my boat trucked from Lake Ontario NY to Charleston SC the end of this month. I elected to have ablative ocean paint applied in NY since the hurricane caused a delay and I wanted to productively use the "dead time". I have been told to expect minimal damage which will be easily touched up prior to launch. I will report back here with the results. Alan
Jeanneau 45.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 19:04   #15

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdoss69 View Post
We're not sure - when we bought the boat, the previous owner had self painted- rather why we are ponying up for professional job - figure we need to sand this all down and get a nice smooth job and also observe to learn to do this ourselves next go around
It's all a matter of what shape the paint is in. If there is 30 years of chipped and pitted paint, yes it's probably time to take it all down to the bare hull...scraping, not sanding. Fix everything you find with all the pain off, then a few fresh coats.

You may be getting different prices because the yards are quoting different projects. Scuff it up (i.e. sand) before putting a fresh coat of paint on. That's $400. Scrape it down to the bare hull (i.e. "sand"), do repairs, barrier coat, new anti-fouling. That's $4,000.

Painting topsides and decks? Again, there is painting and then there is painting, because 90% of the work literally is preparation.

Personally, I would move the boat then work on it. You'll have vendors more committed to doing a good job because you're there, instead of them knowing it's getting put on a truck never to be seen again.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint