Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 12:10   #1

Pacific Seacraft

Does anyone know in what model year Pacific Seacraft began using vinylester resins in their hulls? Does Pacific Seacraft have any issues I should be aware of when looking at used boats? I mostly sail solo, or short handed, would a 34 or 37ft be both manageable single handed? Thanks for any advice on this make or any recommendations on similiar boats that have blue water capabilities.
ralphmacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:18   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
I used to sell PSCs at Crusader Yacht Sales in Annapolis. You can't find a better built boat. I have seen dozens of PSCs out of the water and never saw a blister problem. If the boat doesn't have blisters now, it probably never will.

Blisters are caused as much by poor layup practices as the type of resin and PSC built them right. I believe the whole industry shifted to vinylester in the late 80s.

The 31, 34 or 37 would be fine single handed boats. I am particularly fond of the 31 with its square stern and great interior layout.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:24   #3

Thanks for the quick reply. Based on your knowledge would there be a significant seakindly comfort difference between a 31', 34 or 37 ft PSC?
ralphmacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 19:39   #4

I have normally hear PS switched to vinylester resins in 1988, a few times I have heard 1989.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:08   #5

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Ralph:

Bill Crealock, the designer of most of the PSCs, had a reason for the canoe stern of the 34 and 37. He said that in a heavy following sea those boats would track truer than a square stern and be safer if pooped.

I don't buy the safer part but I do believe that the canoe stern doesn't get pushed around by following seas like a square stern.

So only in that sense would a 34 or 37 have a more seakindly motion than a 31 or another square stern boat.

All PSCs have a high disp/wl ratio which makes them heavy, stable boats.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:28   #6

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post

So only in that sense would a 34 or 37 have a more seakindly motion than a 31 or another square stern boat.
Having a double-ender here I cannot confirm they are any more seakindly than square stern boats. I have sailed a couple of normal boats like the J, Bavarias, Hallbergs, Jeanneaus, etc..

What I can confirm is that some square stern boats, esp so called reversed transom with big transom area get a kick from a passing roller that can send the boat surging forward much faster than you might like it.

So, with a pointed stern, you do not get the kick of acceleration, but you are much more likely to get pooped - because you will have relatively less displacement aft.

HCh has solved this problem neatly by designing a pointed AND raised stern AND small cockpit volume - probably the way to go (but it cannot be retrofitted ;-(((.

In any case, I would avoid extreme flat and square sterns in any boat that will not plane easily and safely.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pacific seacraft