Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2012, 19:44   #1

Boat: Oyster 435
Oyster 435

Hi,
This is my first post on Cruisers Forum so bear with me.
After a massive search across the net on various sites and other sailing forums I have come to conclusions that information on the 435 Oyster's are rare as hens teeth? Please correct me if i'm wrong as I would love to find some info or a decent review on the 1988 Oyster 435 i'm checking out on the used boat market.
This boat seems to tick all the boxes in a seaworthy bluewater liveaboard cruiser that i'm looking for.
I like the Oyster reputation and the AVS/ motion comfort ratings for this boat. Oysters being at the upper end of the used boat price scale it would also be nice to get this boat at the right price...
Cheers all.
Benronpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 23:08   #2

Boat: Oyster 45
Re: Oyster 435

Welcome to the forum.
We have an Oyster 45 so if there is anything specific then send me a PM and I will answer what I can about the Oyster brand or the boats.
There is a pretty large Oyster owners group in google groups and I know there are several owners of the type of boat you are after.
I believe the group is only open to actual owners of Oysters but PM me your e mail and I will post something in there asking owners to contact you so you can ask them directly.
Hope this helps.
Old 27-05-2012, 02:48   #3

Thanks Nostrodamus,
Keen to hear from other Oyster owners,especially the 435's, apparently the most popular and most produced Oyster in the eighties?
Old 28-05-2012, 22:31   #4

Oyster opinions anyone?
Old 28-05-2012, 22:37   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benronpro View Post
Oyster opinions anyone?
I like mine on the half shell..ha ha..DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 23:13   #6

Try here

http://groups.google.com/group/oyste...rs-group?hl=en
Old 29-05-2012, 01:00   #7

Also this link might help as well.

Oyster 39 yacht for sale

The owner is very friendly and may be able to help you.
Old 29-05-2012, 18:07   #8

Oysters on my Oyster, I could get used to that..
Do you have the Volvo penta engine Nostrodamus? The boat I'm checking out has done 5000 hrs, is this heaps?
Old 29-05-2012, 21:33   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

The reasons why you aren't getting much response:

1) Oysters are not all that common. There is one in our marina during summer months (expected soon), and there were none in Corpus Christi, none in Aransas Pass or Rockport. So, maybe 1 in a 1000 boats?

2) Most of us have never sailed on one. That's not saying a whole lot - there are many boat brands I've never sailed on.

3) These are a boat that have a well deserved, excellent reputation. I can't say I've ever heard someone say "I hate my Oyster" or "That Oyster is a piece of junk".
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 05:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
The reasons why you aren't getting much response:

1) Oysters are not all that common. There is one in our marina during summer months (expected soon), and there were none in Corpus Christi, none in Aransas Pass or Rockport. So, maybe 1 in a 1000 boats?

2) Most of us have never sailed on one. That's not saying a whole lot - there are many boat brands I've never sailed on.

3) These are a boat that have a well deserved, excellent reputation. I can't say I've ever heard someone say "I hate my Oyster" or "That Oyster is a piece of junk".
Thanks for the help,all good points for sure.These boats seem like a mystery to me, from most accounts an excellent sea going vessel with a brilliant reputation but very few facts to be found( is this the Oyster 'elitist' thing perhaps?). Maybe they're mostly crossing oceans as we speak and thus the reason they are not found berthed in the marina?..
Old 30-05-2012, 11:50   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benronpro View Post
Oysters on my Oyster, I could get used to that..
Do you have the Volvo penta engine Nostrodamus? The boat I'm checking out has done 5000 hrs, is this heaps?
I do have a Volvo Penta but it is more how an engine is used and looked after more than the hours.
As I mentioned in the PM.. e mail me and I will put you in touch with numerous owners.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:13   #12

Boat: Oyster 406
Hi Benronpro, you could do worse than look at this website:
Www.followtheboat.com - the couple who keep this blog have an Oyster 435 and there is a lot of information on there as to why they bought an Oyster and what they had to do to maintain it, especially when they first bought it in Turkey.
I have seen Oyster 435s on the market for as little as GBP80,000 but conversely I have also seen them for as much as GBP170,000.
I personally would have loved a 435 but the right layout at the right price just wasn't around when we were looking. Based on what we knew we wanted as liveaboards and future circumnavigators, we got what we considered the next best thing which was an Oyster 406 deck saloon. We love her.....solidly built with a beautiful interior, we are so happy that we chose an Oyster.
Pensiongames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 16:51   #13

Thanks all for the great replies, between the e mails, the forum posts and web sites ,I've gained a wealth of knowledge. We're sure this will be the 'right' boat. Next step is a full survey, then it comes down to getting her at the right price..
Cheers..
Old 09-06-2012, 17:34   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Well, yes, the 435 was the "classic" Oyster -- the most produced until the 53 of the 2000's. A Holman & Pye design, built like a brick sh*thouse. Most of them ketches. Most of them have the classical Oyster layout with master cabin aft, a v-berth and pullman cabins forward. The nav table impinges on the saloon a bit -- but there were different configurations.

Most of them with heavy Perkins engines. Longish fin keel with full skeg on the rudder.

A good heavy cruising boat not likely to win many races. Beautifully made. Beautiful lines from Holman & Pye. Very expensive for what they are. Make your own conclusions.

The 485 was a great leap forward -- also by Holman & Pye -- much more spacious and much better performance. And drop-dead gorgeous. I would probably not go for a 435 if I could stretch for a 485.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 16:27   #15

I'd like to welcome myself to the Oyster club. As of two weeks ago we purchased the 435 and could not be happier. She's an amazingly well built and solid vessel...

Tags
oyster