Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2010, 22:53   #16

Runner issues in heavy air? This is cruising. One would be reefed already. Tack instead.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 11:49   #17

Boat: Pearson 10M
Hi Tsakai,

It seems this is a triple spreader. I am not sure about what kind of a fractional rig it is, but it is a frac. Also it seems the original Volvo has been replaced with a Perkins 50hp. It would be great to get some pictures of your interior. Also it seems that the engine is mounted mid-ship! The shaft must be a real long one. I'd love to get a picture of the bottom to see how the shaft and propeller are with the std fin keel. If you pm me I can send you my email address. I also have some other specific questions so it will be very helpful to me if we can connect...

I am not familiar with frac rigs so cannot really understand how the runners mentioned above are handled. I will mostly be short handed so this is important. Thanks.
msoneji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 14:09   #18

Boat: OVNI 435 - Pelerin
Great to hear from an owner - nice boats.

On a lot of race boats from that era the engine is mounted amidships to reduce the pitching moment - worthwhile from a sailing perspective, but the shaft tends to exit just aft of the keel, a long way from the rudder, so there's little or no prop walk - less valuable from a cruising perspective. Also, the ancillaries for the engine like the exhaust tend to be amidships - not everyone's cup of tea.

Big fractional rigs with multiple spreaders tend to have checkstays linked to the runners to keep all of the panels of the rig in column at all times. These are very bendy rigs, and to my mind are not really for short handed sailing unless you are used to them. Of course, that experience can be gained over time, but they are really tweaky, and not really cruising rigs - the cruising versions had much simpler rigs, that would stay up in any weather, and didn't need any nursing.

There was a lovely IOR yacht in here (Bayona) yesterday, called 'Passion', and she was RORC yacht of the year in 1986. Still in great shape, and on her way to a new home in the Med, she had just crossed Biscay from Camaret in 3 days in big winds - these are still very capable boats, and to my eyes (at least) nice to look at.
Sharkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 06:35   #19

A bendy rig with the inner forestay, babystay, runner and check wound on is an exceedingly stiff rig. But it does take some experience, effort and care. If that doesn't excite the sailor in you, it does excite me, then you should probably pass the deal by.

There is no way to remedy the situation without a new rig and probably sweeping the spreaders back (expensive).
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 19:12   #20

Re: Oyster 43

hi
i now own this boat, formerly the storm bird. she has tiller steering and i
would like to convert her to wheel steering. does anyone have knowledge
about this process. i am afraid that steering a 43' boat will be a daunting
task for long periods of time??? can anyone help.
george
goldmaker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 00:24   #21

Boat: OVNI 435 - Pelerin

It shouldn't be a problem structurally, because most of the 43's had wheel steering (probably Whitlock Mamba), so the stiffeners and mouldings to accept the installation should be there.

But maybe you should try the boat with the tiller first? I don't know what sort of sailing you have in mind, but if you're planning longer distance cruising where you don't touch the helm much, a tiller makes a lot of sense - easy to set up an autopilot or windvane, more space in the cockpit, less to go wrong and, of course, no extra cost (which could be substantial).

Best wishes

Colin
Sharkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 14:10   #22

Boat: Oyster 49

You might try joining the Oyster Owners group on Google and see if there is anyone else with a 43

http://groups.google.com/group/oyste...rs-group?hl=en

TudorSailor
Tudorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 05:07   #23

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 50

How is you project coming George?
Kevin Whitcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:17   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by msoneji View Post
Thanks Gord.

I am hoping we will get some replies and info from actual Oyster 43 owners. I am also hoping to see some pictures.

Cheers for now.
Just found this forum there were five oyster gp43 yachts built to my knowledge oystercatcher black topic storm bird orca and there is one in Australia with wheel steering and cruising rig no runners or checkstays don't know her name my stepfather owns storm bird she is sitting on her trailer in the yard in Northern Ireland and has been for about four years she was raced up on til then still a fast boat in strong winds fitted out with galley and berths by himself tiller steering runners & checkstays triple spar mast pully system inner baby stay . Was raced in her early life in the states won the Miami to Nassau race in the 80's
Ajs yachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:07   #25

Boat: Oyster 49
Oyster 43

Just in case anyone looks at this resurrected thread.....

The Google Group for owners of Oysters has now been replaced with a "proper" website www.oyster-owners.com. If you go to the log in page you will be told how to get access

Owners of older Oysters are especially welcome

TS
Tudorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:58   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudorsailor View Post
Just in case anyone looks at this resurrected thread.....

The Google Group for owners of Oysters has now been replaced with a "proper" website Login – Oyster Owners Group. If you go to the log in page you will be told how to get access

Owners of older Oysters are especially welcome

TS
wasn't trying to resurrect old stories just came across the story of the gp43 . As the gp43 is an old design it's good to see that people are still looking to track them down the old ior boats were all build to last but most of the old racers have died away Northern Ireland had at least 10 of the old one tonner & two tonner class all but two have gone
Ajs yachts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oyster