Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2017, 16:46   #1

Owners of Spindrift 43 or Oceanic 46 please!!!

My wife and I have been saving dutifully for seven years and are finally ready to throw down and purchase the much anticipated addition to our family. Due to the rough weather we anticipate in the upper lats we plan to cruise (don't worry, warm weather too!!), I'm crossing my fingers that someone out there may be able to answer some questions for us. If you are or were an owner of one, maybe you could let us know which one and help us out.

How does she do upwind? I'm not planning on winning any upwind races but how would she do fighting off a lee shore in a heavy blow?

What sort of comfort ratio can we expect? Based on her lines and displacement, I would think she would not be at all tender, but I'd love to hear what you think about her on this subject.

How much wind does it take to achieve headway (all be it slow headway), and how much wind before she hits cruising speed?

How is visibility from the cockpit? From the pilot house?

Thank you very much in advance. We have been looking for our cruising boat for awhile now and really hope one of these could be the one.

Cheers,
Nate & Nina
strongmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 21:07   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Owners of Spindrift 43 or Oceanic 46 please!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmonty View Post
My wife and I have been saving dutifully for seven years and are finally ready to throw down and purchase the much anticipated addition to our family. Due to the rough weather we anticipate in the upper lats we plan to cruise (don't worry, warm weather too!!), I'm crossing my fingers that someone out there may be able to answer some questions for us. If you are or were an owner of one, maybe you could let us know which one and help us out.

How does she do upwind? I'm not planning on winning any upwind races but how would she do fighting off a lee shore in a heavy blow?

What sort of comfort ratio can we expect? Based on her lines and displacement, I would think she would not be at all tender, but I'd love to hear what you think about her on this subject.

How much wind does it take to achieve headway (all be it slow headway), and how much wind before she hits cruising speed?

How is visibility from the cockpit? From the pilot house?

Thank you very much in advance. We have been looking for our cruising boat for awhile now and really hope one of these could be the one.

Cheers,
Nate & Nina
Howdy Nate and Nina.

I have not owned one of those boats, but a couple of years ago I did some preliminary research into them and took some notes. I will include some below. I hope you find the following helpful.

You asked about speed or wind needed for headway. I recall a reviewer wrote that they need 10-15 knots of wind to start moving. They are relatively heavy boats and beamy compared to many newer, lighter build, production boats.

I think some CF members should be able to help you with direct opinions based on their ownership or sailing on them. You will also find some opinions on both boats in CF archives if you search for them. I suggest you use the Google Custom Search option to do so for best results.

Good luck on your boat search!

First, I assume since you mention pilot house and Spindrift 43 that you mean the PAN Oceanic 46. There is another boat made called simply "Oceanic."

There is a Pan Oceanic Users Group (called "POG") with a website that has data, descriptions and drawings and photos of the three models.

Pan Oceanic 38, 43, 46
https://www.panoceanic.net

There are three core models - the Pan Oceanic 38, 43, and 46. The boats have a distinctive pilot house / flush deck appearance. Pan Oceanic yachts feature heavily built fiberglass hulls and rich interior woodwork.

There are three main models - the Pan Oceanic 38, 43, and 46 (the Sea Star 460 by Mao Ta Yacht is identical to the Pan Oceanic 46).

All are Ted Brewer designed double ender cruisers, and have a quite similar profile. The hulls are moderate/heavy displacement.

Regarding the Spindrift 43, you should also search for "Young Sun 43" too, as it was named that too.

There is a good review at Young Sun 43 Review

Specs for Young Sun 43

Designer:* **Ron Amy

LOD:***42’ 6”

LWL:***35’ 7”

Beam:***12’ 11”

Draft:***6’4”

Ballast:**10,000 lbs

Displacement:**35,000 lbs

Sail Area:**1162 sq. ft.

Fuel Tankage:**300 gallons

Water Tankage:*200 gallons

Holding Tankage:* 40 gallons
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 21:31   #3

Thank you very much for all of this information but unfortunately that is literally the list of all the information that I have! I have emailed the POG several days ago; still crossing fingers someone will reply. I've read that review but felt it lacking. I have also extensively searched all over CF but can't find anyone that has ever spoke to these specific questions who appears to have owned one.
Again, thank you for taking the time to answer but if anyone out there has extensive experience on one of these two boats, please chime in!

PS: We are indeed speaking of the Pan Oceanic 46. Thank you for clarifying.
strongmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 11:48   #4

Boat: Spindrift 43

Happy Wednesday,

My wife and I currently own a Spindrift 43PH and her mother owned a PO 43. We lived aboard for 4 years and they for 15.

Here are some thoughts.

We love our boat, she is solid, roomy, comfortable under sail, and motors well. She was everything we wanted in our boat, based on what we thought we wanted to do. She would be perfect in the high latitude sailing you are considering.

We have the galley up version which puts most day to day activities in the bright and airy pilot house. Underway the pilot house is useful offshore, but we have never used it in constrained waters like the ICW.

From the cockpit you can see very well.

The only "speed" sailing we did was with some friends on a Kelly Peterson 44. We were sailing circles around them with just the two head sails.

One final note, in my opinion a boat is just not complete without a separate shower stall. It was one of the reasons we bought her.

The Pan Oceanic 43 is also a great boat. We were planning to buy the parents boat in 2006/7, but with the market crash all the financing dried up.

We never got to sail on it but what I remember is that the parents loved her.

She is a different pilot house design from the Spindrifts. Ted Brewer is a traditionalist when is come to pilot houses, they should be isolated from the main living area so that the off watch crew does not have to live in red light at night. As such, the pilot house is much smaller. With the small pilot house and the flat foredeck it seemed dark down below.

Hope this helps.

Lastly, our Spindrift is for sale.

S/V Perfect Partner « Syeather in Print
alsobrsp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease