Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2007, 21:20   #1

over the road delivery

Hi. I am researching purchasing a small sailboat (Flicka 20) a good distance from my home and am trying to get an idea of all the costs involved. I am trying to find some information about shipping the boat over the road. If anybody has any experience with this or can recommend any companies I would greatly appreciate it. The over the road delivery would be from Florida Keys to Virginia and the boat is not currently on a trailer. Thanks in advance for your help.

Jon
jobran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007, 05:51   #2

get a soundings mag. and or go on line and do a google yahoo what ever search there are a bunch out there. if and when you do this (the move) try to set it up as a back haul with carrier as it should the rate considerably.
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007, 07:38   #3
cruiser

At 20 feet, you JUST *might* be able to get that shipped as freight! It certainly fits into a shipping container (or the back of a semi).

Try and look up trucks who are delivering loads to the location of the flicka and returning home empty. I forget what the shipping terminology is, but I think it's called a return or something like that.

Maybe someone else can be more helpful with that terminology. Empty trucks are all over the place.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007, 08:44   #4

It's a backhaul.
A Flika should be able to be pulled by most any SUV or PU. Have a trailer built (you'll want one eventualy) and take a vaction to the Keys and pick it up.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007, 17:44   #5
cruiser

Backhaul! That's it. Where does the mind go?
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007, 19:24   #6

Guys thank you for the info, I'm looking into to all your suggestions.

thanks,
JOn
jobran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007, 20:02   #7

Boat: S/V Pooka Com-Pac 27
A custom trailer might run 7-8k, then you can haul anytime you want. Just dont put it in salt water, the trailer that is. Might cost 200$ to have it launched with a crane or travel lift. I think the resale value of a boat with trailer is much greater than one without. Someday you will want to sell it.

Do you have a decent tow vehicle?
Old 18-07-2007, 18:59   #8

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
I just moved our boat (29' ) with a friends pickup and my home made trailer. It was a shorter haul at only about 75 miles, but this shows that it is do-able. I was into this move including cost of building the trailer, for about $500. If you are handy it might be something to consider.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=3482&c=2
clausont is offline   Reply With Quote