Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2016, 02:54   #91

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot
Re: Outstanding Boats - A Special Selection of Unusual and Noteworthy Boats I Find

What a beauty Fife's grand racers were. Breathtakingly beauties I say.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 03:49   #92
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Outstanding Boats - A Special Selection of Unusual and Noteworthy Boats I Find

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Steady Hand, may I ask who painted the picture of the pretty little yawl? We see it at the end of the boat pictures.
While I do paint boats, I did not paint that boat.

I do like that painting (which came from the sale listing, with permission of the boat owner, as I asked before posting about this boat).

I don't recall the name of that artist. It is mentioned on the website I linked on that boat. You can find it there.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 05:18   #93

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Trance that is a nice boat. Price seems very reasonable for what the new owner will be getting.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 06:40   #94

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Please explain to me the difference between disease and affliction. I may have both.
I think you, and I, have an obsession which is a disease. You don't have an affliction unless you have a boat. An affliction causes pain & suffering. Buying a boat that is a "project" is literally buying an affliction. A disease is a disorder of the mind or body. It's the sailor's disease that causes him to buy the boat project which creates the affliction. Of course any boat can, and most do, become an affliction (maybe the best name for a boat ever) at some point.

This boat may be the perfect example. A Tayana 37 for $9,500 is very tempting. Some sailor with the disease will buy this affliction. However, unlike most afflictions, a boat can transform into a thing of joy. You just have to spend much more time & money on it that you ever thought you would.

https://treasure.craigslist.org/boa/5891835761.html
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 11:41   #95

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

I know the owner of Blue Moon as I followed his blog for some years...

He is a member here and will perhaps respond; AFAIK, he now wishes to go offshore... He has done much work on her.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 15:39   #96

2007 Alan Payne Multi-chine Sloop 'Skookum' design
http://www.nautilusyachtmanagement.c...skookum-design
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1031-2007-Alan-Payne-Nautilus-Yacht-Management-25_medium.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	139168  
daysgoneby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 00:45   #97

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by daysgoneby View Post
2007 Alan Payne Multi-chine Sloop 'Skookum' design
http://www.nautilusyachtmanagement.c...skookum-design
I am moderately well acquainted with this boat; of its type it is an excellent example.

Ann
Old 08-01-2017, 01:01   #98

Boat: no boat any more

...looks like the perfect go-anywhere cruiser! -why does it have to be SO ugly???
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:24   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
...looks like the perfect go-anywhere cruiser! -why does it have to be SO ugly???
Lol At this price point I'm more interested in getting to where I want to go safely, and this puppy will do that. Doesn't look like you would need to do much to her to be your way which is a big plus. Looks would improve with a few sundowners
Old 08-01-2017, 03:08   #100

Boat: no boat any more

I recall getting a lift from the Kieta YC, our boat (34'wharram cat) on one of the moorings right beside a Force 50, the driver asking if that was our boat & pointing at the F50. “the one beside it“ we said. “O that bloody thing?“ he said...
that was a whole world ago in '86 but apparently still rankles
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:56   #101

1971 McCurdy & Rhodes Custom Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4411711_20130924101309601_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	139216  
Old 08-01-2017, 11:53   #102

Boat: Mako 28

Steady Hand I love looking at the boats you have been picking on this thread. I can so see myself picking one of these for myself but the Wife wants a big fat cat and there's no changing her mind. So I guess I will just follow your posting and day dream of a romantic slim boat under sails.
Cockeye429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:57   #103
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockeye429 View Post
Steady Hand I love looking at the boats you have been picking on this thread. I can so see myself picking one of these for myself but the Wife wants a big fat cat and there's no changing her mind. So I guess I will just follow your posting and day dream of a romantic slim boat under sails.
Thanks for the positive comment on the thread.

Stay tuned. I have many more Outstanding boats to post. A long queue.

I have been busy during the holidays and have fallen behind on my correspondence, my inbox has filled, and I have much more to do.

I hope you and others will enjoy what is ahead.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:16   #104
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is a nice looking boat. Here are a few quick comments based on what I saw via the link:

1. Older boat, 1971. Extensively refitted in 2011 "Gutted" with 2011 hardware, sails, Awlgrip paint, Carbon Mast, etc. A LOT of money was spent on the refit!
I like the profile.

2. Aluminum hull

3. Complete "gutted" refit in the Last few years with multiple items of hardware replaced in 2011. Listing says everything was refitted. Look at the list of quality hardware.

4. Deck looks nice and clean and has a nice finish and room for a dinghy, if you want your RIB on the foredeck. I like the multiple Dorade cowl vents. But, there are few opening ports, though the photos show what appears to be a few New Found Metal SS types.

5. The interior is in the "Wooden Boat" style ("Herreshoff Style") that I like. While I appreciate a nice white wood (with darker trim) interior, this particular boat's interior did not make me think "WOW" but rather more like "OK." I know that is a matter of opinion, but I have seen some "Wood Boat" interiors that I would score a 10, while this one I would score a 6 or 7. I don't mean condition, but rather the finish shown etc. To be frank, it does not look like a saloon I would enjoy spending many hours in, compared to other "wooden boat styled interior" boats which I find more inviting or appealing. Of course that is a matter of personal taste, so you may see it differently.

I think it needs some help from a designer/styler who can add some touches to bring it up to another level. I would start with a different cover for the settees and some other personalization. Also, given the deck and small trunk cabin, it looks like it would be darker (less sunlight) in the boat. So, it is good they have a light colored (white) interior. Otherwise, it looks like it would be very dark inside.

6. This boat is 46' long, but looks rather narrow in beam (it is 12' beam) due to the layout which includes pilot berths on both sides (for racing crew or cruising), and that makes the salon seem narrow compared to more modern boats (that often lack those extra berths).

The draft is 7'1" which may prove a problem for some buyers who plan to cruise the ICW, and other shallow areas.

7. The cockpit looks good for singlehanding or shorthanded (couple) cruising, with the traveler near the helm. But, that cockpit design is probably not preferable for most cruisers who want to party in the cockpit and use its space for lounging at anchor.

8. There are no photos of the hull below the waterline or rudder, etc.

9. The add mentioned that the replacement value is around $1.5 Million, as I recall. The ad listing ASKING PRICE is $199K.

These comments are my opinion based on what I saw in the sale listing. IF I were looking for a boat that size, in aluminum, and in that price bracket, I would see more of the boat. I hope you find my comments helpful. YMMV.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2028.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	139221   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2026.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	139222  

Name:	IMG_2025.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	139223   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2027.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	139224  

Name:	IMG_2024.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	139225   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2023.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	139226  

Name:	IMG_2022.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	139227   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2021.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	139228  

Name:	IMG_2020.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	139229  
Old 08-01-2017, 13:05   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
This is a nice looking boat. Here are a few quick comments based on what I saw via the link:

1. Older boat, 1971. Extensively refitted in 2011 "Gutted" with 2011 hardware, sails, Awlgrip paint, Carbon Mast, etc. A LOT of money was spent on the refit!
I like the profile.

2. Aluminum hull

3. Complete "gutted" refit in the Last few years with multiple items of hardware replaced in 2011. Listing says everything was refitted. Look at the list of quality hardware.

4. Deck looks nice and clean and has a nice finish and room for a dinghy, if you want your RIB on the foredeck. I like the multiple Dorade cowl vents. But, there are few opening ports, though the photos show what appears to be a few New Found Metal SS types.

5. The interior is in the "Wooden Boat" style ("Herreshoff Style") that I like. While I appreciate a nice white wood (with darker trim) interior, this particular boat's interior did not make me think "WOW" but rather more like "OK." I know that is a matter of opinion, but I have seen some "Wood Boat" interiors that I would score a 10, while this one I would score a 6 or 7. I don't mean condition, but rather the finish shown etc. To be frank, it does not look like a saloon I would enjoy spending many hours in, compared to other "wooden boat styled interior" boats which I find more inviting or appealing. Of course that is a matter of personal taste, so you may see it differently.

I think it needs some help from a designer/styler who can add some touches to bring it up to another level. I would start with a different cover for the settees and some other personalization. Also, given the deck and small trunk cabin, it looks like it would be darker (less sunlight) in the boat. So, it is good they have a light colored (white) interior. Otherwise, it looks like it would be very dark inside.

6. This boat is 46' long, but looks rather narrow in beam (it is 12' beam) due to the layout which includes pilot berths on both sides (for racing crew or cruising), and that makes the salon seem narrow compared to more modern boats (that often lack those extra berths).

The draft is 7'1" which may prove a problem for some buyers who plan to cruise the ICW, and other shallow areas.

7. The cockpit looks good for singlehanding or shorthanded (couple) cruising, with the traveler near the helm. But, that cockpit design is probably not preferable for most cruisers who want to party in the cockpit and use its space for lounging at anchor.

8. There are no photos of the hull below the waterline or rudder, etc.

9. The add mentioned that the replacement value is around $1.5 Million, as I recall. The ad listing ASKING PRICE is $199K.

These comments are my opinion based on what I saw in the sale listing. IF I were looking for a boat that size, in aluminum, and in that price bracket, I would see more of the boat. I hope you find my comments helpful. YMMV.
COUP D'ETAT (USA414): Why THIS boat?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Holiday Netherlands 2009 June-july-186.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	453.4 KB
ID:	139230