Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2016, 15:22   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Outstanding Boats - A Special Selection of Unusual and Noteworthy Boats I Find

Howdy Sailors!

If you have read some of my other threads I have started on CF, you will have seen that I have posted many boats which I believe fit the needs of many CF members. Those boat threads are:

Boats Less Than $30K - Noteworthy Recent Finds
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-147098.html

Boats with Shallow Draft for Bahamas Florida and Chesapeake
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ke-174548.html

Trailer Sailor and Pocket Cruiser Boats Tips Advice Examples
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-175115.html

Boats with Free Standing Masts
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-150283.html

Please NOTE: I do post some links to boats that may be listed for sale, but I have NO connection to the boat owner or seller. I am merely posting boats I find very interesting as I search for my own boat and do my own research on boats (as I am a professional artist who draws and paints boats), and sharing them with CF Members.

If the boat is currently for sale, I consider that important info and share that too, and rather than responding to needless requests for a link or source, I am just putting that out in the thread to help others and save me time. If some CF member does buy one of these boats, let us know as I will share your joy at finding an unusual boat that fits you and I will be happy to crew for you sometime so I can see the boat myself.

Outstanding Boats - A Special Selection of Unusual and Noteworthy Boats I Find

Now with this thread I am going to post photos and notices of boats I consider OUTSTANDING or unusual for one reason or another: my Special Selection.

What qualifies for this thread? What criteria do I have?
These boats may be for sale or not. They may be expensive or inexpensive. They may be suitable for a couple to cruise on, or may require some crew. They may be wood, metal, plastic, or composite. They may be new, recent, or old. They may be classics, classy, or odd and unusual. They may be fast or slow, heavy or light.

What they share in common is that something about them appealed to me, your curator of this thread. . It is that simple. This is a very subjective Special Selection and may contain a wide range of boat types. Consider it eclectic. I like variety, so you will see that.

Expect Differences in Personal Taste in Boats!
I am NOT saying any of these boats is the best or better than another. I am making no judgement on whether it is suitable for you or any purpose. I am merely showing what I find that I consider unusual, outstanding, appealing, or interesting. That is all. I don't expect anyone to share my taste, or to agree with my selections. But, if you do like what you see, post a comment to let me know. I always appreciate knowing when someone shares a common view or finds something I like appealing too, as it is human nature to want to share things we like.

Of course I make no claims of being an expert on any of these boats. I am not endorsing them or saying they are the best of their types or a good buy. As with any boat "Caveat Emptor!"

Participate! Join the Discussion!

Of course this is a public forum, so I don't mind others discussing these boats, adding their opinions, or adding other boats YOU consider outstanding for some reason. The point of the thread is to have a place to discuss and show and illustrate and learn about boats that do not fit the common descriptions (i.e. Most production boats). This thread is about the UNUSUAL or RARE or DISTINCTIVE or SPECIAL. And as any curator will tell you, an exhibition of art or boats, even online, is a matter of personal opinion of what is special and noteworthy or outstanding about what is shown.

Subscribe to See More!
I hope you will enjoy it as it develops. Subscribe to this thread, because I will be posting many boats I have found, and there is going to be a lot of diversity. It will take me months to upload some of my finds, so be patient. Subscribe so you will see them as I post them.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 15:26   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Outstanding Boats - A Special Selection of Unusual and Noteworthy Boats I Find

Van de Stadt / Royal Huisman 39 Sloop 1971 ALUMINUM

NEW Listing today! NOV 3, 2016

Asking Price =$24,500
Location = Great Lakes

Steady's NOTES:

1. This is an ALUMINUM boat, built by one of the very best Dutch boat building yards. This is important. I like that.

2. This boat was built by Dutch shipwrights. Take a look at the interior. I like it.

3. This boat has raced and done well. It has proven fast. I like that.

4. This boat has almost new Volvo 30HP Turbo Engine and numerous updated gear including self tailing winches. It is a Volvo Turbo, but it is practically new. I like that.

5. It has a distinctive appearance. I like it.

6. It has teak decks. I like teak decks. Yes, teak decks can be a problem IF they cause leaks in plywood decks beneath them. But, is that going to be a problem on THIS boat? I happen to like teak decks for good footholding grippiness. And if I were sailing this boat in northern areas (PNW, Great Lakes, NE) I could live with them. Just be aware this is a personal choice. Some will avoid them, but understand WHY they avoid them.

From the sale listing on Yachtworld:

"This gorgeous 1971 Van de Stadt designed 39 foot masthead sloop is truly a rare find. One of 2 hulls crafted at Royal Huisman Shipyards in the Netherlands, best known for their superyachts, this aluminum built, teak-decked racer-cruiser has had an illustrious racing career beginning in the late 70’s.

As “Pied Piper” she was involved with the illustrious Chicago Yacht Club and placed competitively in many events from the Windy City to Milwaukee. She retired from competition in the early 2000’s and has been used as a family cruiser since.

The quality of her construction is evident and her sailing abilities well-proven. She needs a little attention here and there but is in sail-away condition and eagerly awaiting the spring.

She has a good set of sails and was recently repowered with a 30 HP Volvo turbodiesel, as well as new batteries replaced this year. Her older winches were replaced with new Barients and her running and standing rigging are ready for action. A 2013 survey is available.

Her owners are moving inland and all offers are encouraged. "
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1047.JPG
Views:	1249
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	134840   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1048.JPG
Views:	1263
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	134841  

Name:	IMG_1051.JPG
Views:	1363
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	134842   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1052.JPG
Views:	1335
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	134843  

Name:	IMG_1053.JPG
Views:	1499
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	134844   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1054.JPG
Views:	1341
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	134845  

Name:	IMG_1055.JPG
Views:	1387
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	134846   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1056.JPG
Views:	1392
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	134847  

Name:	IMG_1057.JPG
Views:	1334
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	134848   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1058.JPG
Views:	1408
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	134849  

Name:	IMG_1060.JPG
Views:	1233
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	134850  
Old 03-11-2016, 15:39   #3

Boat: Mirage 35
Re: Outstanding Boats - A Special Selection of Unusual and Noteworthy Boats I Find

Don't do this to me! A nice looking boat on the Great Lakes, at a price that I could afford, when I had convinced myself that I don't want to buy ...
Old 03-11-2016, 15:58   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
Don't do this to me! A nice looking boat on the Great Lakes, at a price that I could afford, when I had convinced myself that I don't want to buy ...

I know! We are in the same boat, so to speak.
I have recently come across many boats that interest me or appeal to me. It is a struggle to limit one's viewing to a narrow focus. And, I wish I could afford a fleet of boats.

But, for my fun and enjoyment, I like to see a broad range of sailboats. I always have enjoyed a wide variety (to see or sail on) and I find it stimulating to see how each boat designer has developed a concept or unique design.

I hope you will enjoy the viewing of the exhibition of these boats as much as I will enjoy sharing them.
Old 03-11-2016, 19:05   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

A nice looking boat, and at what sounds like a good price... but

Quote:
Her older winches were replaced with new Barients
wonder how they did that, Barient having been out of business for quite some years now?

Jim
Old 03-11-2016, 19:38   #6

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
A nice looking boat, and at what sounds like a good price... but

wonder how they did that, Barient having been out of business for quite some years now?

Jim

Probably NOS from eBay. Where people have found them, I don't know.

Matt
Old 03-11-2016, 19:54   #7

Well they had to be new at one time, right?
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 19:58   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Well they had to be new at one time, right?
Well, yes, but then so was I!

Jim
Old 03-11-2016, 20:40   #9

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Well, yes, but then so was I!

Jim
Inconceivable!
Old 03-11-2016, 21:30   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post

Inconceivable!
Matt, had I been inconceivable, i would not be here at all!

Jim
Old 03-11-2016, 21:49   #11

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Matt, had I been inconceivable, i would not be here at all!

Jim
OK, I surrender. Now back to S.H.'s regular service.
Old 04-11-2016, 00:07   #12

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...

Hello SH,that is a nice find!
That boat looks like a van de stadt Staron.I do think they build 6 of these boats at the time,here is one in the Netherlands from the same builder;
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:41   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ77 View Post
Hello SH,that is a nice find!
That boat looks like a van de stadt Staron.I do think they build 6 of these boats at the time,here is one in the Netherlands from the same builder;

Thank YOU for finding that photo and posting it for us to see. I did not have one of the side view. Nor did I have the VDS model name. Good to see and know.

It really looks like a sweet sexy boat for its build date, but I find it appealing even today.

The clean open foredeck and low cabin top with distinctive deadlights are nice features.

But it is the rolled metal or smooth formed hull shape that Dutch boat builders make so nicely that also separates this boat from more common hard chine metal boats.

She looks slippery!
And that is something sexy in any boat, but especially appreciated in a boat intended for racing, even as a racer/cruiser.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:34   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Woodnutts Bermudan Cutter 1938 WOOD

"A sturdy old girl with Soul."

Asking Price = $105,000
Location = Sussex England UK
LOA = 41'

November 2016 Sale Listing: 1938 Woodnutts Bermudan Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Description from the Sale Listing:
"Large volume bermudan cutter designed and built by Woodnutts and Co. IOW in 1938 and in current ownership for over 40 years. Pitch Pine hull all copper fastened to oak timbers. New teak on plywood deck in 2000. 6 berths in a spacious interior which has been largely rebuilt in present ownership in solid panelled hardwood. Very spacious and deep safe cockpit ideal for the family. Bermudan cutter rig with a boomed staysail and roller furling on the jib making her relatively easy to handle. Perkins P4 diesel recently removed and overhauled. Professionally maintained every year and regularly sailed."

Steady's NOTES:

This is is a boat I find very appealing. Some boats just have a certain something that makes you feel drawn to them, or like they "fit" you the first time you see them. This is a boat that does that for me. There is a lot about this boat I like, and it is one that I think I would find comfortable to live aboard or cruise. It looks like a boat I could "love" for many years. It looks like a boat I would enjoy calling "my home" and would enjoy sailing too.

I am impressed by its condition. Given that, and the fact it has been with one owner for over 40 years, it looks like a well loved boat. And I consider that important for the soul of any boat.

If you are a superstitious sailor, you might believe that when a boat is well loved and cared for, she will care for her crew in return.

Take a look at the deck, deep cockpit and generous galley. Notice the interior wood condition (nice white paint, high gloss varnish on some trim). Overall, the condition looks outstanding. She is not a fancy boat, but she has some understated beauty.

But, I also see things I feel would be "comfortable" such as the padded and elevated seats in the cockpit by the helm, the deep cockpit and high coatings and the generous berth below for her master. She is roomy looking below. And the galley looks like a place for making great meals and sharing good times with the crew.

I can imagine a pot of hot water on the stove, a hot cuppa tea, and a nice warm cabin on a chilly foggy night at anchor. How about you?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1064.JPG
Views:	821
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	134872   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1065.JPG
Views:	807
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	134873  

Name:	IMG_1066.JPG
Views:	901
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	134874   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1067.JPG
Views:	842
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	134875  

Name:	IMG_1069.JPG
Views:	837
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	134876   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1063.JPG
Views:	939
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	134877  

Name:	IMG_1070.JPG
Views:	854
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	134878   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1071.JPG
Views:	784
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	134879  

Name:	IMG_1072.JPG
Views:	852
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	134880   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1073.JPG
Views:	996
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	134881  

Name:	IMG_1075.JPG
Views:	836
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	134882   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1076.JPG
Views:	982
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	134883  

Old 04-11-2016, 06:35   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

John Negus Bermudan Ketch 40' 1997 WOOD

Asking Price = $87,000
Location = Cornwall, England, UK

LOA = 45'
Draft = 6'

From the November 3 2016 sale listing:
1997 John Negus Bermudan Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

"Designed and built by John Negus in 1997 as one of the largest in his range of comfortable and spacious cruising yachts. Built for a gentleman who wanted to cruise alone, she sailed around the North Sea and Scandinavia in his ownership before being bought and hugely upgraded by the present owner. Iroko strip plank hull, teak on ply decks with Iroko superstructure. Spacious below decks with 6 berths in 2 sleeping cabins, inside and outside helm position, heating throughout and 2 heads. New Beta 90hp diesel in 2012. Very smart and well maintained yacht, ideal for small or large crew."

Steady's NOTES:

My View of Wood Boats:
As you will see if you follow this thread, I will be posting numerous wood boats. That is because I like them, admire them, study them, draw and paint them, and love them. So, you will see me post them in this thread.

I am not unaware that they pose a challenge to the owners, especially today in the USA. And after studying them for years, I think it is safe to say that they are not for everyone and not recommended for everyone.

While the market for wood boats has shrunk in the last 60 years, there are still many fine wood boats on the used market. Many wood boats are passed over or neglected. I won't get into reasons why wood boats are not the first choice of sailors today, because that is not the purpose of this thread. There are many threads that discuss the negative aspects (e.g. Maintenance, costs, lack of haul out facilities, skilled labor, etc.) of wood boat ownership, so you may find plenty of opinions and experienced advice about their care, costs, pitfalls, weaknesses, and issues. That is not what this thread is about. This thread is about what boats are outstanding or extraordinary or appealing (at least to me, the curator of this exhibition).

Just before posting this boat, I posted another wood boat the Woodnutts 1938. That boat is admitedly an "old woodie." And I know that while some sailors may love the looks of an old wood boat, they may have some doubts about the condition of older boats, older wiring, older plumbing, older mechanical systems, and older rigging or spars.

Steady's NOTES on this boat:

This Nagus boat is a relatively new woodie (1997). One might say "young" for a woodie.

It is a pilot house boat. I happen to like pilot house boats. I think they would be very practical in many places I would want to live. I look for them and look carefully at how their pilot house is constructed, designed, how the visibility may be from inside, how the windscreen portlights (windows in front) are built, how the helm position is situated, how the helm seat is designed, how a navigation station may be designed, and if a second person can sit facing out and forward. I look for those things. Not many pilot house boats have all of those things, and I am used to seeing many that look small and poorly designed. Most have many compromises.

This boat's pilothouse looks like a very nice pilothouse design. Check out the nice inside helm station and the matching "captain's chairs" for the helmsman and another person (e.g. admiral). I will let the photos tell the rest of the story.

This boat has traditional "wood boat" design elements and construction, because it is a wood boat. But, I happen to like that. Look at the deck hardware! Check out those chocks! Look at that aft cockpit! Notice the Dorade vents and cowls. Overall, every detail of this boat looks fitting or appropriate and well chosen. It looks "timeless" despite its relatively recent build date.

I also like the tan bark sails. Visual appeal is important to me. I like the look.

Then look at the engine compartment. At a glance it looks well kept, and well designed, with room to get around the engine and a good raw water strainer. That engine space and condition is a plus.

Overall, this is a very nice looking boat, a relatively new wood boat, and a boat that has features and size and accommodations (two heads, multiple berths) that would make her a comfortable cruiser for a family. IF I lived in the UK or Europe, or PNW (yes, it would require a long delivery) this would be a boat I would put near the top of my list to see.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1081.JPG
Views:	683
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	134885   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1082.JPG
Views:	823
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	134886  

Name:	IMG_1083.JPG