Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 07:58   #1

Outbound 46 - How Would You Configure YOUR Interior?

and why?

right now i'm leaning towards the port aft head - mostly because i want that extra counter space in the galley and i want to keep any cooking mess away from nav equipment. on the other hand, the starboard head has a much nicer shower, it seems. foward i'm at a loss. i in my mind i like the centerline better, but again the head sucks and everyone here seems to hate vberth configurations.

So - how would you have yours?

Outbound 46-Arrangements
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:03   #2

Boat: S/V Running Fish - Passport 40
I'd go for the starboard head with the separate shower, especially for long-term living aboard. Really from the drawings it doesn't seem to impact galley space so much, but I agree about keeping the cooking mess away from the nav. For me, that's a price I'd pay for a separate shower though.
RunningFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:09   #3

Id go Centerline stateroom, starboard chart table. You could use the forward head mostly as a separate shower! Nice looking stateroom up there. On those lazy days, shower, get dressed etc all up there with privacy. Use aft head when sailing or during the day etc
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 13:03   #4

While I like them both, I'd go port chart table so I could use the separate shower of the aft head for hanging wet foulies when on passage. I'd have a rod rigged in the shower stall just for that, and the rest of the boat will stay nice and dry. I would also prefer the centerline bunk forward so that someone's not climbing over their partner at night.

Amidship, I'd skip the separate chairs to starboard in favor of a settee that could be used as a sea berth with a lee cloth.

Nice boat.
Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 14:47   #5

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
Not addressing your question but you can save a lot of money, potential headaches and get a boat sooner if you look at used SAGA 43s. Quite similar boats, I believe.
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 12:08   #6

I'd go for the centerline bed to avoid crawlovers and to get the head out of the forepeak...try using one of those on a beat to windward!
I also agree with the port aft head and rigging it as a wet locker as well.
As for the salon configuration...probably should be decided by you based on anticipated guest needs.

On the other hand...you could just get the new 52 and forget about space issues entirely!

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 13:57   #7

Me? Starboard chart table, centerline forward, and figure on sleeping on the either the floor or the aft cabin when passaging.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 15:31   #8

Aft cabin best and closest to the watchperson when passagemaking. Besides, If you are well heeled beating to weather you planned that passage wrong! ;>)
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 14:49   #9

For what it's worth...

We have an Outbound 44 (the earlier version of the 46 minus the larger stern step) and we have the Pullman forward cabin and the port nav station. So far (we have only had it one year) we love the arrangement.

The pullman berth seems to create *much* more storage space in the forward cabin and it allows for a full-size head and separate shower forward. It does force one to sleep close to your spouse or significant other but that can be viewed as a bonus... In either case, the aft cabin is more suited to sleeping underway than either of the forward cabin arrangements.

The port nav station allows for a full-size head with separate shower stall in the aft head (starboard side). We have not had any trouble with food leaping off the stove onto the nav station... but I understand that could be a concern. If this is truly a concern there is a sizeable partition between the two and perhaps this could be mitigated futher with a lexan partition...

For us at least one head with separate shower was a requirement. Having two allows for a convenient place near the companion-way to hang wet weather gear. The only configuration that makes no sense to me is the center-line queen forward with the starboard nav station -- this precludes even one shower-stall -- a huge issue for us on a live-aboard boat.

Of course this all depends on your preferences and how you will use the boat.
serendipitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 16:42   #10

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
I'd go centerline stateroom, and make the forward head a dedicated shower stall. I'd also go starboard chart table, but see if I could convert that chart table to a small 2-person dinette (also useable as a nav station).

Nobody really sleeps forward of the mast on a passage. Certainly nobody uses the forward head. The forward berth usually becomes a sail locker while underway.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2009, 21:48   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Id go Centerline stateroom, starboard chart table. You could use the forward head mostly as a separate shower! Nice looking stateroom up there. On those lazy days, shower, get dressed etc all up there with privacy. Use aft head when sailing or during the day etc

totally agree. Best configuration in my opinion
how much does this thing run for?
BeBalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 07:46   #12

Boat: Outbound 46 Spree
Send a message via Skype™ to Spree
Outbound 46 Arangement

We have an Outbound 46 Hull # 12 We chose a Pullman layout and Starboard aft head. With lea clothes on the Pullman,it is the most comfortable place to sleep when off shore (Bermuda). Right next to the Mast! It is also very quiet in heavy weather! When at anchor it is very comfortable with the large overhead hatch. We are very glad to have the two heads,even if we originally didn't think we needed them.
Spree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 09:19   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Wow. That's a tough one. If you have offshore plans, I'd certainly listen to Spree.

We had 2 requirements that you are now facing: a centerline bunk (no crawlovers - that just plain sucks) and a seperate shower. These are 2 HUGE items for us.

We also love the head forward - no, it's not comfortable in a seaway. BUT, you can keep the forward hatch open and not worry about a bunk getting wet. This is HUGE when anchored and a rain shower comes.

Here's our layout:

MACINTOSH 47 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com (units English)
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior