Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2013, 14:15   #1

Outboard on Alberg 30

Would having a backup 3.5-5 hp outboard motor (weight 30-60lbs) be overkill for extended/open ended cruising? This is in addition to a Yanmar Diesel Inboard.

Would it create a weight issue eventually or would it be a good safety?
NCsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 14:29   #2

Boat: KH 49x, Custom
Re: Outboard on Alberg 30

Yes, it's probably overkill. But if you're nervous about your diesel, perhaps not.

It's pretty rare for the engine and the sails to give out all at once, but nothing's impossible.

It's not usually done, but whatever makes you comfortable.

Cheers.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 14:31   #3

Boat: Alberg 37

now if the 3.5-5 will also work for the dinghy... then it sounds good
bluemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 14:31   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

James Baldwin, of "Voyages of the Atom" fame has an excellent video about installing a 6HP outboard in the stern locker of an A30 as the only engine. An outboard that small would only be good for tooting around in a quiet harbor, but wouldn't help you fight a strong current-get away from a leeward shore-keep the pointy end into the wind in survival conditions etc. A 3HP outboard would have little utility IMO. A yuloh would perhaps be a better backup choice, or learning how to maintain the diesel well.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 14:37   #5

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Actually a 3-5 HP outboard would push the Alberg 30 right along in calm conditions. I once lost my main outboard on a 32-foot catamaran so I put my 2.2 HP Mercury 2-stroke on the engine bracket and motored about 60 miles making around 3 knots, and that boat had a lot of drag. I think a 5 HP motor on a stern bracket might be useable as both a dinghy motor and emergency propulsion. But, you also have the sails! You should be able to sail that boat just about anywhere.
Old 29-04-2013, 14:52   #6

Not familiar with your Alberg but we have a 5hp on the back step of our Gemini 3400 that does double duty as the dingy motor or can drop down as backup power if we need it.

The 5hp will push the big boat at maybe 3kts.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 14:55   #7

Boat: Vancouver 27

Personally, I haven't come across many boats that have this redundancy. But if you carry an outboard for the dinghy anyway, I suppose adding a transom mount for backup might not be a bad idea. However, if it was really called upon, I suspect that kind of horsepower wouldn't get you out of too much trouble. I might be wrong tho.

If my boat had the stern overhang for it, I like this method of installing a small outboard for use as the primary auxillary:

Atom Voyages - Outboard motor well for a Taipan 28 sailboat

Anyway, is the Yanmar unreliable? I have a 3gm30 and, while not a diesel mechanic, I'm getting to know and trust it pretty well. I'd say really getting to know your diesel (especially the fuel system!) and carrying the spares you deem necessary would be as good as anything.

A trusty diesel coupled with a good working knowledge of it is pretty bulletproof IMHO.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 15:59   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
James Baldwin, of "Voyages of the Atom" fame has an excellent video about installing a 6HP outboard in the stern locker of an A30 as the only engine. An outboard that small would only be good for tooting around in a quiet harbor, but wouldn't help you fight a strong current-get away from a leeward shore-keep the pointy end into the wind in survival conditions etc. A 3HP outboard would have little utility IMO. A yuloh would perhaps be a better backup choice, or learning how to maintain the diesel well.
Depends on how you are cruising.

If you are out in perfect storm conditions about to be thrown on a lee shore, you are correct. It's unlikely to be much help.

If you are running the ICW, there are a lot of situations where sails will be of little use but 2-3kts worth of power might get you out of a jam.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 18:59   #9

That's really helpful! yeah I don't have a dinghy, I've been using my kayak to get ashore but I'm looking to buy one as soon as my semester ends next week, to have for the summer sailing season. So that will be a perfect setup to use if I use it as a double for dinghy and backup power.

I trust my Yanmar but I'm looking to get into some open ended sailing here at the end of the year and I want to have my bases covered since I will be far from "home".
NCsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 19:47   #10

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Thumbs up Re: Outboard on Alberg 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Actually a 3-5 HP outboard would push the Alberg 30 right along in calm conditions. I once lost my main outboard on a 32-foot catamaran so I put my 2.2 HP Mercury 2-stroke on the engine bracket and motored about 60 miles making around 3 knots, and that boat had a lot of drag. I think a 5 HP motor on a stern bracket might be useable as both a dinghy motor and emergency propulsion. But, you also have the sails! You should be able to sail that boat just about anywhere.
Exactly right on. 3hp will move her in a pinch, if you stow your dingy motor on a transom bracket you will have some trouble moving the tiller controls, but you can easily load it on your dink to use.

Fwiw, I have sailed an Alberg 30 with a 8hp outboard on the transom, and while it was a bit of a pain to operate (reaching over the lazy-rat to adjust the throttle)... It certainly pushes the boat well... My friend who ultimately bought the boat has sailed it with that motor for years.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 06:40   #11

Boat: Bristol 27

I have a 5hp 4 Stroke Mercury on my Bristol 27 and it works great, but I have the extra long 25" shaft and a Panther Bracket with a 14" swing mounted on the lower part of the stern. Sometimes if I have forgotten to put the bracket down the motor will still pop out of the water. When it's down, no problem. The engine does have an overrev govener so no problem but you wouldn't want it to keep popping out.

So, if you do this get the long or extra long shaft because your stern is similar to mine. You can use these engines on a dinghy but you'd have a lot of shaft in the water which would be fine as long as you are going slow.

Btw, my diesel engine has been removed...........

One more thing, backing up is tons easier now that I have an outboard. It's like a tug boat in that I can spin that outboard 90 degrees or more and put that boat anywhere.

I'm considering getting one of those new honda 2 hp 4 stroke air cooled engines (27 lbs) to use just to get me in and out of my slip. If I did that I'd store the larger engine below someplace. (maybe in the old engine compartment) I'd also put the 2 hp on the rail mounted dinghy engine mount after use since I really don't like an engine hanging off the stern that much.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 08:28   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoose View Post
now if the 3.5-5 will also work for the dinghy... then it sounds good
BINGO!

Don't you have a dinghy? If so, then you can either push or tow the boat with the dinghy in case your engine fails. No further backup needed.

Edit: Ah! I see that you do not have a dinghy, but are planning to get one. Great. Put an outboard on that and you've got a fine backup for your main engine.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 10:26   #13

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
BINGO!

Don't you have a dinghy? If so, then you can either push or tow the boat with the dinghy in case your engine fails. No further backup needed.

Edit: Ah! I see that you do not have a dinghy, but are planning to get one. Great. Put an outboard on that and you've got a fine backup for your main engine.
That oughta be fun especially if you have 2'-3' bay waves and its 60 degrees out............
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 10:55   #14

Boat: Pearson Triton

I've got a 6hp outboard in well conversion done by James Baldwin on a Pearson Triton. It's a great setup for a number of reasons...but probably not if you have a working/reliable diesel already.

In your case, I agree with the folks who ask, "Will you carry an outboard for your dinghy anyway?" If the answer is yes then it might make sense to add an outboard motor bracket on the transom.

But, if you aren't going to use an outboard for the dinghy, I'd question a spare taking up room on an already small boat. Plus, you'll have to carry an extra fuel -- gas in this case -- that has its own problems. If you're like me, I already have kerosene (stove), alcohol (to light the stove), and gas (outboard).
vancouver25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 11:42   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
That oughta be fun especially if you have 2'-3' bay waves and its 60 degrees out............
You think it's going to be "fun" trying to drive a 30' long, 5 ton boat through that with a 5 hp outboard hanging on the back?

This is a backup. It's for the emergency situation when the inboard fails. So I have to say that I think you are missing the point.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg, outboard