Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2014, 07:22   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Outboard Failure.. :)

So, my husband and I went sailing yesterday. Motored out of the harbor, and we get about 1/4 of a mile out, and were turning into the wind to hoist our sails, and the Motor cuts out.. we primed it.. started it.. and it cut out again. So, naturally, we panic. (we have no CLUE how to sail back into the harbor and back into our slip!)

We take a deep breath, and take a look at it... starting with the gas tank.. and working our way to the motor.. checking everything, and VOILA! there is a crack in the fuel line. We grab a scissors and some tape... tape it up and it started right up and ran, when we needed it to coming back into the harbor after our sail.

Why am I smiling? because it was our first Outboard failure.. and we fixed it!! I know am confident that I know how to repair a fuel line. Gotta celebrate the small victories.
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 07:27   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Outboard Failure.. :)

Congrats - it all builds confidence. That cracked fuel line is a very common thing, particularly on older ones and near fittings. If yours is old, just replace it. You don't need to buy an expensive pre-made one - just buy some fuel hose of the same length and diameter and make the connections yourself.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 07:54   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Congrats - it all builds confidence. That cracked fuel line is a very common thing, particularly on older ones and near fittings. If yours is old, just replace it. You don't need to buy an expensive pre-made one - just buy some fuel hose of the same length and diameter and make the connections yourself.

Mark
yup.. that was our plan.. good off season project.
Old 20-10-2014, 08:37   #4

Boat: Wibo 1100 36 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
So, my husband and I went sailing yesterday. Motored out of the harbor, and we get about 1/4 of a mile out, and were turning into the wind to hoist our sails, and the Motor cuts out.. we primed it.. started it.. and it cut out again. So, naturally, we panic. (we have no CLUE how to sail back into the harbor and back into our slip!)

We take a deep breath, and take a look at it... starting with the gas tank.. and working our way to the motor.. checking everything, and VOILA! there is a crack in the fuel line. We grab a scissors and some tape... tape it up and it started right up and ran, when we needed it to coming back into the harbor after our sail.

Why am I smiling? because it was our first Outboard failure.. and we fixed it!! I know am confident that I know how to repair a fuel line. Gotta celebrate the small victories.
This was a warning. A warning to tell you that you have to learn how to sail back into the harbor. It's not hard.

Years ago the cable to the gas handle snapped and the engine went into idle. We stopped the engine, furled the genua about 50%, lowered the mainsail and slowly sailed into port and moored alongside the visitors pier. No need to furl the front sail completely to stop the boat, releasing the sheet is enough.
Draikhyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 08:51   #5

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draikhyan View Post
This was a warning. A warning to tell you that you have to learn how to sail back into the harbor. ...
It is also a warning about keeping up with equipment inspection and maintenance.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 09:04   #6

[QUOTE=Terra Nova;1658666]It is also a warning about keeping up with equipment inspection and maintenance.[/QUOTE

Agreed!! Just learning. So, we should add this to our "check list"...
Old 20-10-2014, 09:57   #7

Quote:
This was a warning. A warning to tell you that you have to learn how to sail back into the harbor. It's not hard.
Ditto. No engine is 100% reliable, and you cannot always count on being able to fix it. Learning how to sail your boat well enough that this sort of thing doesn't panic you is the best peace-of-mind that you can get.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 13:03   #8

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Congratulations on your repair, there'll be many more to come.
Fixing stuff is sometimes rewarding, sometimes not.
Learning to dock under sail definitely will bring a smile to your face.
Good Luck.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 14:13   #9

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

That gut wrenching moment when the engine stutters and stalls. Usually at the absolute most inopportune time!

I've always found the bulb on an outboard fuel line is an excellent first (and most often last) point of diagnosis. If it's collapsed (vent closed/blocked) or soft (no fuel/air) - cha-ching!
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 14:56   #10

Good for you and the hubby scarlet. I know some people who would be hailing Sea-Tow.
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 15:00   #11

Quote:

Years ago the cable to the gas handle snapped and the engine went into idle. We stopped the engine, furled the genua about 50%, lowered the mainsail and slowly sailed into port and moored alongside the visitors pier. No need to furl the front sail completely to stop the boat, releasing the sheet is enough.

That is exactly where I hope to be some day....... time will tell.
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 15:14   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Engine? My first boat didn't have no stinkin engine.

A fuel line is not an off-season project. It is a right-now project, before the boat moves again. Easy.

Realistically, there are some harbors and wind directions that will require a tow, but with luch and better maintance, you may never get caught.

Tip: let the engine run at dock for 5-10 minutes while loading. It will be warm and some failures will have the courtesy to happen at the dock or at least in the harbor.
Old 20-10-2014, 15:31   #13

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Engine? My first boat didn't have no stinkin engine.
Yep, same here. It's good to learn sailing on a boat with no engine and not a lot of ballast.

Here's my 1st and 4th sailboat and neither had an engine:

This one has the same sail area as my 6600 lb Bristol 27:, but it weighs about 300lbs

Check the prebend on some of the masts in this race (set specifically for the conditions that day)
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 20:02   #14

Boat: Rinker 24

After you've had a couple engine failures in airplanes wonky sailboat motors don't seem to cause such a big excitement, not that I'd recommend that form of therapy to anyone!

Congrats on troubleshooting and fixing your issue!
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 05:29   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBWhite View Post
After you've had a couple engine failures in airplanes wonky sailboat motors don't seem to cause such a big excitement...
To paraphrase thinwater... Engine? My first plane didn't have no stinkin' engine.

(Come to think of it, neither did my first boat.)
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard