Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 13:53   #46
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Thanks Gordie!
Old 07-07-2010, 16:25   #47
cruiser

The joint between the hull and the tank top is a hard spot , as hard as the centreline , probably stronger, as it involves the tank top, the hull ,and the inside of the keel, all comming together , each curved in one direction or another.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:32   #48

Brent, what you say here means nothing, try to rethink how you explain your engenering.
Curved direction is not a proof of any strength, it is just a shape.
if you say "hard spot" it is a red flag. You should never have a hard spot on a steel boat. All the strength has to be diffused to avoid hard and soft spot.
Daniel
Old 12-07-2010, 16:25   #49

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
From what I know of monocoque structures, Brent is correct when he says that the curved hull bottom is adding a lot of strength to the design. A sideways force on one of the keels is not just acting on a single plane fulcrum as Dskira states but it comes close. The fulcrum is curved upwards at both ends making it harder to fold sideways. However, what is shown in the first picture of the cross section drawing does have a weakness if you discount the curved hull bottom. If that tank top were dead flat along its length with the keel joint, it would act as a fulcrum and could potentially fold from a side force. Such being the case, I agree that the frames need to be tied in at the bottom but the way they are terminated at the tank top allows nothing to tie them together below the tank top so they must be connected across the top of the tank top. IF the frames went all the way to the center line, then web floors would greatly increase the resistance to a sideways bending moment but as designed that's not posssible. The frames terminate above the tank top.

Salty Monkey, the photos you posted of the interior structure of that twin keel show a major difference between them and the drawing that Brent posted originally. They have the frames going all the way to the center line and joining. They resist any side forces by doing that because of the way they are all tied together, keel sides to frames to hull skin.

Sabre
Old 12-07-2010, 19:31   #50
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Maybe so, but I believe that "rough sketch" was drawn by someone else and doesn't come from an original drawing
Old 12-07-2010, 20:27   #51

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskira View Post
Brent, what you say here means nothing, try to rethink how you explain your engenering.
Daniel
Dskira, while it is obvious that English may not be your mother tongue, it is no excuse for rudeness.
Old 13-07-2010, 06:40   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post
Dskira, while it is obvious that English may not be your mother tongue, it is no excuse for rudeness.
Rude to ask a designer to be more precise?
If he say something which do not make sence, what is wrong to tell him that?
He is the designer, somone will built the boat, he has the responsability to be accurate.
If you don't like it, its too bad, but don't patronize me.
When you are on the bottom the ocean, ask yourself who is rude.

Daniel

PS. This is the first forum ever where members are picking on my english.
Must be something on the air.
Old 13-07-2010, 06:41   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
We mean it when we request that the nastiness and petty bickering come to a halt. I'm sorry I have to close this thread as I was enjoying the information being presented.

Be Courteous!
We aim to ensure that the forum is an enjoyable place that you want to visit time and time again. Our underlying philosophy is that the strength of the member relationships we build here is what sets us apart from the other boards - we are friendlier, more civil, more insightful, more mature and more fun.
  • Our rules extend to all sections of the website including messaging functions, galleries and any other public or private posting.
  • Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully.
  • Do not post unsubstantiated gossip, libelous remarks or directly misleading information.
  • Stay on topic by keeping discussions relevant and on track.
  • Do not post the same discussion more than once or in many forums.
  • The language of this forum is English. If you are not a native English speaker, do your best. We are glad to have you as a member and will be supportive and polite.
  • Be mindful of yourself and others. This forum is not a democracy; it is privately owned and we make the rules. If rules are violated we retain the right at our discretion to remove, edit or delete posts and if necessary ban or remove members. Any abuse toward our staff may/will result in immediate suspension of your account. Complaints about moderator decisions may not be made in posts; instead send a private message to a moderator, administrator or use the Contact Us form to reach the owner Cruisers Forum. If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact the moderator concerned. Do not repost deleted material.
  • We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ork&page=rules

Life begins where land ends.
Closed Thread