Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 06:53   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Ordering a Bare Fiberglass Hull

Bare hull in FRP will cost one +20% of a ready to leave the boatyard boat and in the 30 range this implies some 20-30k in the bare hull only.

At 40-50k one can buy same boat, tatty, but essentially complete.

And no owner can build out a bare hull to any reasonable standard unless they are a boat builder themselves (just mind most boats are build by teams of skilled people).

You want a bare grp hull, no problem. But do not waste your time dreaming you can make it a sailing boat 'for less'.

If you want a very very specific boat and it must be new: buy an old one, build mold, build a new one.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:07   #17

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Where in the world would you want the hull?
Old 08-08-2013, 12:16   #18

I believe Bowman in the UK still sell bare hulls, perhaps by connection Rustler will too. No harm in asking around a bit, worst that can happen is they say 'no'. Very few yards do, I think primarily because poorly fitted out amateur boats risk damaging their reputation. If you really are keen on a bare hull - and buying a 'project boat' will probably be cheaper even if you only use the hull - then I would target the smaller builders.
europaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 17:55   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

A quick search showed up a 2002 52' Dufor with 5 cabins going for under $140k.

That much money wouldn't even scratch the surface of a refit, let alone do a major rebuild.

Better to get all your business plans sorted out then when all ducks are in a row buy a ready to go boat.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 18:12   #20

Nor'Sea
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 18:21   #21

Stop looking! Here's one, ridiculously cheap too: $15,000 and that includes the engine!

Didi 34 incomplete by Dudley Dix Yacht Design

Efraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 18:30   #22

There's a 54' Morgan hull on ebay right now, stored inside since 1970. Currently $16k and no bids. You might even be able to talk them down, I get the feeling they really want it out of their garage... You pick it up in MN. Apparently someone else had the same idea, long ago. Good luck with your project.

Morgan 54 Sailboat Hull & Deck for sale in Sailboats | eBay Motors

Keith
keithwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 16:20   #23

Boat: Spencer 42 hull 17
Send a message via Skype™ to Chasing Summer

Lots of good comments and information. I'd had the dream of building a boat for more than 20 years. (then married .. no divorced) I found my boat, some ones abandon project sitting in a boat yard in Oceanside, CA. It has been there for 25 years. I bought it from the yard owner for really cheap to settle up past yard fees. She's a late 60s vintage so no core ... heavy, solid fiberglass. I'm a builder and mechanic by nature but I'm learning way more than I had ever dreamed. It's taking my way longer than I expected. ... but in the end I will have a great boat for a little less than had I gone out and bought one ready to sail. ... but that's not the end of it. The interior layout is mine. I know first hand all the systems and why they are there or not there. I've completely rebuilt the engine and this winter will rebuild the transmission. Spencer yachts my have initially built her but she's all my workmanship now. If I had to do it all over would I re-consider???? ... of course, I'd do things a little differently, but I'd still do the project. I don't regret one day of working on her.
The only thing I'd do differently is to totally strip her out and grind the inside before putting anything back inside. Except for the very bow and stern I've replaced everything inside her anyway.
Good luck on your search. What ever you decide remember that you still have to love her 6 months down the road.
Just one personal note of caution: stay away from cored fiberglass. I know, it's probably much lighter but at what cost? That's why I went with an older boat. Even an early 60s boat because they didn't really know the strength of fiberglass and they tended to lay them up much thicker than they needed to.
Anyway ... just my 3 cents on the subject.
Ok ... back to the boat to build up the stbd side cabin sides.
Old 09-08-2013, 16:34   #24

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing Summer View Post
Lots of good comments and information. I'd had the dream of building a boat for more than 20 years. (then married .. no divorced) I found my boat, some ones abandon project sitting in a boat yard in Oceanside, CA. It has been there for 25 years. I bought it from the yard owner for really cheap to settle up past yard fees. She's a late 60s vintage so no core ... heavy, solid fiberglass. I'm a builder and mechanic by nature but I'm learning way more than I had ever dreamed. It's taking my way longer than I expected. ... but in the end I will have a great boat for a little less than had I gone out and bought one ready to sail. ... but that's not the end of it. The interior layout is mine. I know first hand all the systems and why they are there or not there. I've completely rebuilt the engine and this winter will rebuild the transmission. Spencer yachts my have initially built her but she's all my workmanship now. If I had to do it all over would I re-consider???? ... of course, I'd do things a little differently, but I'd still do the project. I don't regret one day of working on her.
The only thing I'd do differently is to totally strip her out and grind the inside before putting anything back inside. Except for the very bow and stern I've replaced everything inside her anyway.
Good luck on your search. What ever you decide remember that you still have to love her 6 months down the road.
Just one personal note of caution: stay away from cored fiberglass. I know, it's probably much lighter but at what cost? That's why I went with an older boat. Even an early 60s boat because they didn't really know the strength of fiberglass and they tended to lay them up much thicker than they needed to.
Anyway ... just my 3 cents on the subject.
Ok ... back to the boat to build up the stbd side cabin sides.
Your project is much like mine but I'm at the point in my life where I'd actually enjoy sailing more than rebuilding so am going to state that I'd not do it again but would save some more cash and get an already sailing vessel with just a few items tha need repair.

kind regards,
Old 09-08-2013, 22:11   #25

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwins View Post
There's a 54' Morgan hull on ebay right now, stored inside since 1970. Currently $16k and no bids. You might even be able to talk them down, I get the feeling they really want it out of their garage... You pick it up in MN. Apparently someone else had the same idea, long ago. Good luck with your project.

Morgan 54 Sailboat Hull & Deck for sale in Sailboats | eBay Motors

Keith
The lead keel alone is worth $16k. Transporting the behemoth it is going to cost ya!
Old 09-08-2013, 23:06   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

When I commissioned my Morgan 35 at the yard Morgan used in St. Pete in 1973, there was a factory owned Morgan 54 that had been sitting there for a couple of years. Don't know whether it had been built on spec or a buyer had cancelled but Morgan Yachts, owned by Beatrice Foods at that time, was desperate to get rid of it. Rumor was something around $20,000 would take it. They are really beautiful boats, flush deck with dog house like some of the S&S designs of the time. There had been one in the Ala Wai Boat Harbor in Honolulu when I was stationed there in '70-'72. Charlie Morgan designed some of the best looking boats ever and I'd fallen in lust with the design walking the docks.

Thought seriously about about buying it but the boat had no options or sails. I had tapped out my credit line and income on the M-35. Even if I'd sold that boat, wouldn't have had the money to buy anything for the M-54 other than what I could transfer over from the M-35. Would have had to power it up to Norfolk where I was stationed and buying the fuel to do that was not in the budget. I couldn't have afforded to buy sails or anything for the boat even at that good deal price. For once, I did something reasonable and passed on it but very very regretfully. The M-54 is still at the top of my list of most beautiful boats ever.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:13   #27

Boat: MacGregor 26 M 2007

365 Dean in South Africa | Gumtree South Africa

0 - 036 ft Catamaran Moulds R115 000 - MUST BE SOLD! MAKE AN

52 ft Van der Laan - semi

Yes Sir. there are nice projects out there.
SKIPPER2C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass, hull