Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2014, 16:11   #1

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
Opinions please on a 1978 Islander Freeport 41

This Ketch talks to me. Very well maintained. Sails are in good shape, engine rebuilt. I am hoping to get some feed-back from people who know this model boat.

Thank you,
Ty
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 17:17   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Opinions please on a 1978 Islander Freeport 41

LIKE THIS? Pretty Yar.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1978...w=1142&bih=712
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 17:25   #3

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Look in the bilge. Yeah, that's where the engine is. What do you think happens when the bilge pump fails? Therefore, don't depend on that one small bilge pump that sits, along with its float switch, in the least accessible part of the boat, and subject to the worst possible consequence. How do I know? I've made a lot of money rectifying that issue. Don't be a victim. Ensure that there is no way there can be ANY chance of bilge flooding.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 20:47   #4

Now we're talking. Good point! Thank you.
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
Old 15-04-2014, 07:29   #5

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

By the way, the engine comes out nicely with the mainsail halyard through the companionway, once you have chainhoisted it up and slid it aft a little. It's a good motivation for replacing the bilge pump AND adding a second one on a second battery for good measure.

Also, after we got the engine running again, it mysteriously shut off. I had the foresight to install an outboard motor fuel pump squeeze bulb between the tank and the filter to speed up the bleeding of air. The bulb was discovered to be collapsed. The only cause possible was a blockage of the fuel pickup tube in the fuel tank. I turned the bulb backwards, blew the wad of (what we later discovered to be) fiberglass matting out of the tube, then returned the orientation of the squeeze bulb to normal. Since then I always install these squeeze bulbs for my diesel installs. It really speeds up clearing the air and transferring fuel to the filter.

Murphy's Law hasn't been repealed. If it's important, have a backup, and even a backup for the backup. Murphy was a real person, an engineer on the early rocket sled experiments leading to the space program. He had an unusually high success rate for his experiments because of the precautions he took to protect his subjects.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 08:21   #6

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Though I've been on Freeport 36's and 41's, and sailed extensively on an Islander 36 and some on an Islander 30, I have never sailed on the 41. With all respect to their owners, the Islander's were considered only OK, an entry level boat. Attractive designs. Rudder armatures were 1 weakness to watch out for. I think the 41 was considered a dog, performance-wise.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 09:47   #7

Good to know. I appreciate the responses so far. Thank you, all!
Old 15-04-2014, 11:22   #8

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

I made a coastwise passage on one from Hilton Head to Annapolis back in the late '70s, and a friend later bought one to live aboard on the Chesapeake.

They make a great liveaboard, but the light-air performance was lacking for sailing on the Chesapeake. Also was extremely slow to come about.

I remember it being seakindly out in the Gulf Stream chop with the wind blowing against the current, but the interior layout compromised its utility offshore (lack of good sea berths and hand-holds).

With its big diesel, it always seemed to me to be more of a motorsailer than a pure sailboat.
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 11:54   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

https://www.facebook.com/groups/697614560261293/
This is a link to a facebook Islander owners group. May Help Good Luck
casual is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freeport, Islander Freeport, lease