Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2010, 17:14   #16

Boat: Rhodes 32
Very true Christian Van H. I guess I did not write that clearly enough. I meant that in the USA some yards (meaning brands) are more popular while in Europe other brands are more popular. I consider Hylas, Tayana, and Passport yards that are popular in USA. Of course they are not located in the USA. Hylas and Tayana are out of Taiwan. Passport used to be out of Hong Kong and now mainland China. Please correct me if I am wrong these locations. Oyster is somewhat popular in the USA, but I might also group her with Najad, Hallberg-Rassy, and the other yachts you see more in Europe than the USA. This popularity is what I refered to.

speciald, you are right, and I should have included Ta Shing. I especially like their classic Mason designs and Taswell 49. I forgot them probably because as you say they focus on Norhavn trawlers (which are excellent), and I was thinking of sailboats. I respectfully disagree about the finish and performance characteristics of Hylas, Passport, and Tayana. These are all quality yards.
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 17:52   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Of course I am biased too, but yes, my T37 was very good value for money - I would have been hard-pressed to have found a comparably capable boat at this price. Of course, it is a 30-year-old boat, so eyes wide open on that score.

And yes, the interior finish is far better than anything in the top 95% being produced today.