Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2011, 13:32   #1

Boat: Bavaria 42 Ocean-JollyOcean
Opinions on Swan 44 vs Swan 441

Anyone having experience of these yachts for circumnavigation?
Jolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:37   #2

Swans are wonderful bluewater cruisers. They are very heavily built but much more versatile and have better sailing characteristics than most blue water cruisers.

The 44 is a classic Sparkman & Stephens design. The 441 is a Ron Holland design. S&S is more closely associated with Swan as Ron Holland did not design for them for very long. As a result, S&S Swans have a more devoted following and will have a better resale market. I can't speak to their comparative sailing characteristics as I have never sailed on a Holland designed Swan. They are both great boats, though.

Be mindful that old teak decks are extremely expensive to replace and probalbly need to be replaced every twenty years or less.

This cite should have some good info on the 44, at least.

S&S Swan Association
CBinRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 14:12   #3

Boat: cal 40
swans are made for blu water. You will want to find a boat (in this buyers market) that the current owner has spent a ton on money on and the boat is basically brand new. But of course you would have to verify everything is in 'turn key' condition before you buy. A survey is necessary but you also have to go thru all systems. seatrail before buying.
Loquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 18:07   #4

The S&S Swan 44 is a great boat, I sailed one back in the 80's and got in quite a few miles. It is a boat I would not hesitate to take almost anywhere. Since the last one was built in 1976, most should have had alot of things replaced and upgraded, if not, you will be in for a lot of work. The teak deck should have been replaced by now, if not plan on $40K or $50K to get that done, it is a big job. I know because I oversaw two 44's get that done.
It's a great layout with good sesa berths but not a layout you would see on a present day boat. It's a layout you get to appreciate when at sea and the going gets rough.'
Here's one in St. Martin at a low price, photos look pretty good, not sure how long ago they were taken.
1972 Swan SLOOP OFFERS!!!! Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Good luck, Brian
amarinesurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:50   #5

Boat: Bavaria 42 Ocean-JollyOcean
Swan 44 vs 441 to circumnavigate

Thanks Brian,
I'm familiar with the Swan 44 in St.Martin. I tried to get in touch with the seller before Christmas but got no answer. I had a friend there at that time.
The price and even the photos looked ok but no idea of the condition. I live in Finland so I have to add the VAT (15-23% depending the country where go to the customs) to the price. The Swan in St Martin is the second 44 that Nautor has build. I suppose there could be some improvments on those that were build later. From hull number 63 the boat has a taller rig and 530kg more ballast.
The Swan 441 is more roomy and would perhaps suit better as a liveaboard for tree years cruise that the circumnavigation takes.
I'm quite satisfied with my Bavaria 42 Ocean and it suits well for one years Caribbean cruise which I've don two times with my former boats but I think the Swan would suit better while rounding the Cape of Good Hope or on the Red Sea where you have head winds almost all the time.
So I'm waitng for some ones expieriences of the Swan 441.
Jolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinesurveyor View Post
The S&S Swan 44 is a great boat, I sailed one back in the 80's and got in quite a few miles. It is a boat I would not hesitate to take almost anywhere. Since the last one was built in 1976, most should have had alot of things replaced and upgraded, if not, you will be in for a lot of work. The teak deck should have been replaced by now, if not plan on $40K or $50K to get that done, it is a big job. I know because I oversaw two 44's get that done.
It's a great layout with good sesa berths but not a layout you would see on a present day boat. It's a layout you get to appreciate when at sea and the going gets rough.'
Here's one in St. Martin at a low price, photos look pretty good, not sure how long ago they were taken.
1972 Swan SLOOP OFFERS!!!! Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Good luck, Brian
Jolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 23:19   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: orion 50
Send a message via Skype™ to andreavanduyn
we owned a 44 S&S for years and enjoyed her a lot ; quality impeccable.

Though heavy to handle with a crew of 2 and only upwind a dream; for the rest a bitch....especially mooring on engine backwards with current and short crew.

They are cheap now though

But for that money there is a lot more modern and in many cases easier to use yachts for sale these days.

*though her beauty for the eye is unmatched with our royal blue hull and gold cove striping; simply stunning.
andreavanduyn is offline   Reply With Quote