Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2015, 20:45   #31

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Opinions on my "short" list?

You may have seen this already but bluewaterboats.org has a lot of info on proven boats.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 21:09   #32

Boat: 1979 Pearson 323

Thanks for the search tips, I'll check them out!
Old 04-02-2015, 21:33   #33

I have been on some Watkins boats and I think they are well suited for your purposes. Roomy, well enough build in florida for basically crossing the Gulf Stream. Not an ocean boat. The 27 is by far the largest 27 I have seen and might be able to even fit your bill with reduced yard fees.... (At least take a look at the 29).

From the ones you list I would also second tartan as the best. You might also look at the tartan 30. Also roomy and an amazing boat.

Similarly extra roomy would be a catalina 30. (Again, reduced yard fees as you're paying per foot.).

I have seen an Irwin citation that was huge inside. They are on the slow side. As would be the Watkins. Irwin are pretty well built though although I thought some were cored hills. Not amazing boats to sail but often described as sweet cruisers.

(Personal plug... Have you looked at ericsons? The 35 is roomy. I have a 32 that I would trust beyond... into blue water. Very well built)

You should be able to find a good boat that has been well kept and is in good shape for less than 15k and that would leave some room for new sails and other amenities (solar power, fridge etc) to make your cruising life very comfortable.

Good luck. I wish I was in the position to just do it and go cruising where you're headed... and we have the boat but sadly the rat race is still our life, with kids being pre college ages. 12 years!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Schrewsburyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:18   #34

Thanks Screwsburyduo for the informative post.

The boat market is amazing right now...if your a buyer that is. Tons of older but good condition boats around the 20k mark. I'll take a look into the ericsons.

You're in a different position than we are with the family. Without kids there's not much of a risk for us. Were in our late 30's so we figured nows is as good of time as any for an adventure! I'm sure your time will come soon and you'll know you boat inside and out by then! Thanks for the help.

Jeff
Old 05-02-2015, 15:01   #35

Boat: Scout 30

Here's a nice looking Morgan

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/4833577770.html
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 16:02   #36

Boat: cheoy lee 35 (perry)

When looking at the ericson, I would pay special attention to the hull and deck joints. When they were built, the hull mold and deck mold flanged out where they met, ( like holding your palms together) and the deck protruded a little out over the hull. sealant was used between the two, then the hull and deck were bolted together then glassed over. Pretty strong build at the time. Yet I have seen a few separations, as well as over time the sealant aged, became brittle, and a sawing action of the hull and deck stressed the fiberglass to cracking. I did see one that actually came apart as the tide dropped and the deck lip caught the edge of the dock. Check the balsa coring around the mast step.
Old 05-02-2015, 22:19   #37

Sweet looking Morgan...I like the shallow draft.

Great tips on the Ericsons. I'll put them on my checklist if I find a good one to take a closer look at.

It's really hard to concentrate on anything but boats right now. There are soooo many options out there right now narrowing it down is a challenge but it's fun!
Old 06-02-2015, 02:27   #38

The number one thing on my list would be how does she look. Life's too short to buy an ugly boat.

Another thing to keep in mind is the engine & related systems. I'd avoid anything with a Volvo due to the really crazy cost of parts. If you can find a boat that's recently been repowered that's a huge plus. You need to have a mechanic do a thorough survey of the engine. Compression & oil analysis is a good idea. At the least ask the seller not to run the diesel before you get there so you can start it cold.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:13   #39
Marine Service Provider

If you are planning on buying and used boat then you might want to check some things before you choose:

-First: Take a detailed look at the hull ad try to find any cracks or signs of bad shape.
-Second: Engine... you want to find a boat which engine(s) are in a really good shape an engine problem can be expensive to repair.
_ Sails: it is better to buy a boat with the sails in the right condition: you dont want to spend more money changing sails...
-General condition: yo need to make an smart buy, review almost everything that comes in to your mind and if you aren't sure about some details, make questions, the owner of the boat is obligated to tell you the truth about the conditions of the boat

Now my recommendation for your trip would be the Pearson 323 as it is a nice boat with a great distribution of spaces....

God Luck! i hope you fin the boat of your dreams and make that trip!

PS: Send us some pictures once you have decided what to buy!
BoatShowAvenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:15   #40

You don't need a "bluewater boat" to go to the Bahamas. You can get there on a newer, better conditioned, and more open boat, which is also good for that locale.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:08   #41

A strong diesel is at the top of my list. We will be motoring up and down the ICW for around 1400 miles and I want to minimize the chance of engine trouble. Great tip on the Volvo parts I didn't know there was a big price difference.

Thanks for the buying/search tips. They will come in extremely helpful! I'll definetly post pics of the potential boats as I narrow down the list. I'm calling on some more boats this weekend to gather some more info and hopefully find some that need a closer look.

Will any surveyors do a quick pre inspection. Being a long distance buyer it's hard to narrow down the search before I fly out. It would be helpful to pay them a smaller amount to do a quick look at the top 2 or 3 boats before I ordered a full survey to rule out obvious problem boats.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 06-02-2015, 10:37   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
Try to find the websites for the boats you're considering and note the typical problem areas associated with that boat, i.e., hull to deck joint leaks on Islander 32.
Then, with your checklist, go take a look at each boat.
Heed this advice, once you go to look at a boat you will know a lot more about it's idiosyncrasies!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:40   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunknown View Post
A strong diesel is at the top of my list. We will be motoring up and down the ICW for around 1400 miles and I want to minimize the chance of engine trouble. Great tip on the Volvo parts I didn't know there was a big price difference.

Thanks for the buying/search tips. They will come in extremely helpful! I'll definetly post pics of the potential boats as I narrow down the list. I'm calling on some more boats this weekend to gather some more info and hopefully find some that need a closer look.

Will any surveyors do a quick pre inspection. Being a long distance buyer it's hard to narrow down the search before I fly out. It would be helpful to pay them a smaller amount to do a quick look at the top 2 or 3 boats before I ordered a full survey to rule out obvious problem boats.

Thanks
Jeff
I think they will... but keep in mind many (most?) boats that look good on line can be terrible in person.
..... and not worth the $ you would spend. Not sure how you narrow it down, but once I tried asking the broker to go to the boat and call me.
Then I asked him things like: "as you walk around the deck, is the gel coat powdery and sun baked or is it shiny and smooth?" etc etc. "when you enter the cabin, do you smell fuel? or mold?"

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:23   #44

In my experience most surveyors will not check out the diesel. Surveyors are like home inspectors. They want your money but don't want any liability. There are some great surveyors out there but some just fill out a form by checking a bunch of boxes. I would try to get a sample of their work before hiring one. Remember, you will need a survey that whoever insures your boat will accept. Boat US can provide a list of surveyors but that does not mean you don't need to check them out yourself.

In terms of engines Beta seems to be the favorite right now but Yanmar is still very popular.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:36   #45

Here's another one you might be interested in.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/4857023507.html