Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-10-2010, 15:14   #1

Opinions on My LARGE List of Boats

Hello Everyone.
I have used John NeaLs Boats to consider for off shore cruising list to make my own list of boats that are within my price range(according to yacht world.com).

I am interested in everyones opinions and knowledge on all or any of the boats on my list. I am planning on sailing the open seas and possilbly around the world over a legnthy period. There will be 2 of us on board and we definatly want our own sleeping accomadtions.

morgan 384
whitby 42
westsail 42
valiant 37
tartan 37
tartan 41
tartan 44
sabre 38
morgan 382
Hood 38 (waquiez)
41 fraser
esprit 37
endurance 41
dickenson 37
44 cys
42 cascade
40 bristol
41 amel
42 allied
39 allied

It seems that the largest concentration of boats in my price range seem to be in Flordia. Is crossing the Panama canel an expensive and legnthy process? I know this is a Huge list. Any info will help me narrow the list down to the boat of my dreams. Thanks ALL

Old 26-10-2010, 15:18   #2

I think that the esprit 37 is the same boat as the valiant 37

Old 26-10-2010, 15:42   #3

Here, let me help. Have a good cruise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevordean View Post
Hello Everyone.
I have used John NeaLs Boats to consider for off shore cruising list to make my own list of boats that are within my price range(according to yacht world.com).

I am interested in everyones opinions and knowledge on all or any of the boats on my list. I am planning on sailing the open seas and possilbly around the world over a legnthy period. There will be 2 of us on board and we definatly want our own sleeping accomadtions.

Hood 38 (waquiez)

It seems that the largest concentration of boats in my price range seem to be in Flordia. Is crossing the Panama canel an expensive and legnthy process? I know this is a Huge list. Any info will help me narrow the list down to the boat of my dreams. Thanks ALL
Old 26-10-2010, 16:01   #4

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Which one to YOU want? All the opinions will be based on the opinion-giver's preferences. After buying one based on others' opinions, you'll have your own and in many cases wonder what on earth they were thinking.

Find the one that best combines the qualities YOU prefer, the price YOU can afford and is in the best condition for the money. Folks have obviously sailed and cruised aboard all of them. Don't overthink it. If you wait for opinions on what to buy, you'll never have enough. If you wait for opinions on when to depart port, what weather windows you should go in, etc, etc, then you'll be locked in to many things and won't find the freedom you might desire.

Of course, it all may be just fine for you. Now, if you had narrowed it down to just two and wanted a bit of insight, it would be easier to seek a little nudge to push you one way or the other.

Okay, so this might sound a touch cold--it's not meant that way. You've got a dream, you want to go--- if the cash and time are there, well, embrace it and do it.

Give us a blog address when you go.....
Old 26-10-2010, 16:03   #5

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
I think John Neal's list is a great jumping off point but don't neglect the list done by Evans Starzinger. I'll look for the link and post it...

My question for you is have you done any shopping yet? I think its really helpful to go look at boats well before you even think of purchasing. Go look at boats and ignore the listing price.Take time to see what features are a must have, what you hate and what you can "deal with" if necessary. Once you do that, you will be in a better position to know what your personal sweet spot is.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 16:06   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevordean View Post
Hello Everyone.

morgan 384
whitby 42
westsail 42
valiant 37
tartan 37
tartan 41
tartan 44
sabre 38
morgan 382
Hood 38 (waquiez)
41 fraser
esprit 37
endurance 41
dickenson 37
44 cys
42 cascade
40 bristol
41 amel
42 allied
39 allied

1. Are you comfortable with spade rudders or do you only want a skeg or attached rudder?
2. You each want your own sleeping accomodations, does that mean you each want a cabin or do you each want your own seaberth (ie quaterberth or pilot berth?
3. What's your budget for buy and outfit?
4. Two people, both experienced, or one experienced and one novice?
5. Are you wanting to spend much time in the Bahamas or the European canals where shoal draft would be a big plus? If so is a centerboard acceptable?
6. Are you intending to round the capes? Longer and heavier weather sailing but better security than going thru the Red Sea.
7. What's you cut off for minimum sail area or are you willing to motorsail a fair bit? Nigel Calder suggests SA/D of 15.0-17.0 at half-load displacement. Where is your comfort level?
8. Are you going to be bringing along a lot of heavy toys like SCUBA or bulky ones like sailboards and kayaks?
9. Are either of you cooks, or is food mostly just fuel? Affects the choices you make about the galley.

Answering these questions should help us narrow the list a little.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: