Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2009, 01:28   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Opinions on Moody 54

Any of you guys have any experience with this boat? Is it a big step down from first-rate Water boats">blue water boats like Halley-Rassberg, Oyster, etc.?

Is the cored hull (as opposed to solid GRP) a safety issue for trans-oceanic use?

The boat looks impressive to me. Quite like an Oyster in many respects except that the salon is not as high (correspondingly, windows are smaller which is too bad), but very well finished inside, nice engine room, nice layout. It's a Bill Dixon design.

Paging Bob Perry!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:08   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
I would also be interested in comparison to the bigger production boats, i.e. Beneteau 57, Jenneau 54, etc. Is the Moody a cut above those? Or what do you think?

I would not necessarily kick one of those out of bed for eating crackers, but there just isn't a model which is just right for me, among the production boats. The B57 is just a bit too big (actually the Moody is bigger than I want, too), I don't like the aft cockpit of the J54, tankage and stowage does not seem to be good on any of them.

I notice that both the B57 and the J54 have solid hulls -- not cored like the Moody. What is that all about?
Old 03-07-2009, 06:45   #3

I would rate the Moody as a cut below the Halbergs/Oysters but a cut above the major production brands and certainly capable of taking you anywhere. One thing I did not like about the larger Moody's I looked at myself a few years back is that eveything you could see was high quality... but when you looked behind stuff, it was disappointing to see shortcuts taken. Nothing dangerous etc. ...just not what one would expect given the fit and finish and quality you could see. Nevertheless...definitely an upscale boat.

As to coring...it is more expensive to properly core a hull and coring decreases weight and improves rigidity and impact resistance. In new boats...generally foam core is used which is better than wood...and if wood is used, it is best done with individual sealed squares to avoid the wicking of any moisture & rot.
The problems with cored yachts are lamination separation due to poor layup and delamination/rot due to misture ingress. Many older wood cored boats have had this issue occur after through hulls were added and improperly sealed or impacts or leaks were allowed to saturate the core.
A compromise postion adopted by a number of manufacturers is to have a cored hull above the waterline and a solid hull below.
You might also want to take a look at the Hylas 54 if you like the Moody.

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:51   #4

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I don't think a hull cored below the waterline is a real offshore boat, but that's just me. Other boats to consider, though rare are the Taswells by Ta Shing ( who build the Nordhavn trawlers now. Boats are built like a Brick S**t House.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:57   #5

Taswells are beautiful too! High $$ though.

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:14   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
As noted above, the Moody is a quite nice boat - definately a big cut above the production boats.

When we were boat shopping - which didn't last long - Hylas was DEFINATELY high on our list. They have gotten progressively better over the years - not that they were bad at ALL early on - it's just that they were originally built for the charter business. Hylas now builds among the best.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:56   #7

I like the Moody's and would consider them a cut above the B's and J's but not as nice as the Oysters.

We don't worry about core and it is fine below the waterline. We have had cored boats for years, our current boat is glass/balsa/glass/balsa/glass with massive ring frames and longitudinals. Some boats are built better then others.

Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:42   #8

I think Hanse bought the Moody name and have come out with a new design - somewhat strange. I don't know if any were ever built. Moody was built by a number of yards, I believe, so quality may vary. They stopped appearing at the U.S. shows before they went out of business, probably an exchange rate problem. By the way my Taswell 58As is for sale on Yachtworld.
Old 03-07-2009, 13:47   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Taswells are beautiful too! High $$ though.
Yes, the Taswells are big bucks -- approximately like Oysters, in fact. Incidentally, are they solid GRP below the waterline?
Old 03-07-2009, 16:41   #10

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
We own an older 47 1985 and they are a solid boat. I would not put Moody in the class of Oyster but a couple of years before they sold out the Moody owners group was told that's who the competition was. Moody was definitely moving up market for a period.

The boats are clearly up market from the masses and I think compete favorably with all but the very top tier. Depending on the model etc the 'corner cuts' may or may not matter to you but I don't think there are any 'cuts' that impact seaworthiness or safety based on my experience. Also Bill Dixon designs a very nice hull, sea-kindly and past.

You might want to ask around at the UK Moody owners site as there are many more boats over there.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 18:38   #11

Yep - Taswell's hulls are cored not anywhere. The plug cut to install my depth finder was anout 3 inches thick. The deck and deck house are cored except in stress areas where it is solid laminate with stainless back up plates. They are not near what Oysters cost for the same size boat and each boat produced was individually designed and built form the hull up. Each boat has a diferrent interior and multiple deck molds were available. Unfortunately all molds with the exception of the 72 footer were destroyed when Ta Shing sold its soul to PAE, the producer of Nordhavn.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:29   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by speciald@ocens. View Post
Yep - Taswell's hulls are cored not anywhere. The plug cut to install my depth finder was anout 3 inches thick. The deck and deck house are cored except in stress areas where it is solid laminate with stainless back up plates. They are not near what Oysters cost for the same size boat and each boat produced was individually designed and built form the hull up. Each boat has a diferrent interior and multiple deck molds were available. Unfortunately all molds with the exception of the 72 footer were destroyed when Ta Shing sold its soul to PAE, the producer of Nordhavn.
Oysters are not all that expensive -- the 485's cost in the range of $450,000 from nine to 12 years old. That's a very solid boat displacing 40,000 pounds, and very pretty too. You can get a second generation Oyster 55 from the '90's for about $100k more than that, and a first gen Oyster 53/55 from the late '80's for something in the $400's. So they are not more expensive than Taswells, and maybe cheaper than Hallberg Rasseys and Swans of comparable size and age.

The only problem is that the Oysters I have looked at in that age range -- 10 to 15 years old -- seem to all be in poor condition with years and years of deferred maintenance. Oyster owners seem to ride them hard and put them up wet. And they ride them hard -- I think every single one I looked at had done at least one ARC. A surveyor told me that the typical Oyster owner is a rich guy who is not technically savvy, and just sails them till they break down, then put them up for sale. Maybe some truth in that. Makes them much less of a good deal than they seem to be at first glance.

The Moodys I've looked at, on the other hand, seem to be owned by rich guys who are not technically savvy who mostly keep them in the marina, and certainly never go on an ARC. They are much, much more lightly used than the comparable Oysters I've seen. So maybe it's worth a sacrifice in original quality, to have a boat which is not so much worn out.

I have sailed Oysters and love them. I have never been on a Moody on the water. Anyone know whether they sail worth a d*mn or not?
Old 04-07-2009, 08:47   #13

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
Yes Moody's sail great! Bill Dixon does a good job. He also designed the Taswells. Go sail the boats and get a feel for what you like and don't. At this level each boat is different so find a charter or an owner who will take you out. The owners groups can be your friend so spend some time working those.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 23:43   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to watson1990
Moody 54,Hylas,H.R., and check out Dufour

Hi,
I am slowly looking for my retirement boat.
The Moody 54 is a very nice boat.I looked at one in Maine at the Hinckley yard .about 6 years ago. wanted about $540,000 or so,,couldn't swing it .
she went ,8-9 months later for $240,000 !!
The Hylas is a LOVELY boat and in a class ,not alone ,but but up there with some of the best. This coming January i am going to Charter a hylas 54 from VIP charters in St.Thomas...It is a 10 year old boat and each year the charter fee keeps going UP. Apparently they take their maintenance seriously ..Used to $945 a day and now [last time i looked ] was $1000 a day .
That boat is gorgeous and her fat A$$ gives you so much room !! 3 full cabins so no one feels like the odd man out... and for that price ,its a bargain if you are even considering a Hylas ,something that i am hopeing to do .
Here is the usual disclaimer: I am not affiliated in any way with VIP .I have never chartered with them and I have ZERO contacts with them.....they simply have a boat i want to charter that i can not find anywhere else :
Here is a picture ,if the link works :

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL225.../367976348.jpg
A solid boat and very gentle on the captain.. stunning !
Good luck ..I hope you try the HYLAS ..heads turn when one comes in to moor for the night !
watson1990 is offline   Reply With Quote