Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2011, 17:31   #1

Boat: 44 M/Y gulfstar
Opinions on Mariner Ketches

What do yall think about a mariner ketch sailboat, i caught so much flack from my classified ad that i actually got upset but would love a true sailors opinion.
Thanks in advance Don and Seatrek
Old 20-07-2011, 17:40   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
re: Opinions on Mariner Ketches.

mariner ketch sailboats are good boats, i couldnt tell any mor eas i am passionate about garden designed ketches, sailing a FORMOSA.
many folks donot understand these boats-- they were made for long distance cruising and perform as they should..like heVY DISPLACWMENT KETCHES ARE SUPPOSED TO PERFORM. THEY HANDLE WIND WELL AND SEAs also. sorry about caps.
pm or email me or show up in leaky teaky yacht club, a yahoo group. is email available. yahoo group.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 17:50   #3

Boat: 44 M/Y gulfstar

Thanks Zeehag
Old 20-07-2011, 18:04   #4

Cruising World review 2007

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 18:13   #5

Boat: private yacht always moving

wetsail,,dont worry about the crap you got on CF,,,there was several threads 1 week before you joined concerning selling boats and brokers, photos and such,,,you posted at the wrong time,,,,we are really a friendly group here but sometimes we do get out of control,,,,,dont ever get upset with the members,,,most of us are good guys and gals,,,,
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 18:41   #6

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

I am a fan of ketches in general. It seems nowadays most people just want a furling headsail sloop style rig. Nevertheless, after owning a ketch I don’t know if I would be keen to go back to a sloop rig. Hopefully my next boat will be another slightly bigger cutter rigged ketch. Having a choice of headsail with a staysail and the options between the main and mizzen has become addictive. For it to work cruising you really need a solid traditional style boat similar to the one you are selling.
Old 21-07-2011, 08:56   #7

Re: Opinions on Mariner Ketches

do not allow other folks's opinions and other write ups affect your passion. if you feel passion for the boat--BUY IT there ae few if any deal breakers with garden designed ketches. just jealousy and leaky teaky decks -- big deal. is all good-- those are repairable. so is rest of boat -- with ease surprising to all others besides a garden ketch owner. i LOVE my garden-- will be last boat i own-- have fun with her.
yahoo has a group for us-leaky teaky yacht club. is a yahoo group, and as such, findable in yahoo groups.
Old 21-07-2011, 09:59   #8

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

There is a lot of confusion about Mariner ketches. There are at least three different boats, not including the different lengths that are called Mariner ketches. Mine is a 1972, Far East Yachts, built in Japan Mariner 40. the Far East Yachts version was designed by Claire Oberly, although it looks like a Garden design. Way different boat than the current Mariner Yachts version and different company entirely. The Far East Mariner ketches were made in Japan from 1965 until the early 70's. Heavy, beamy, solid boats with a good reputation as comfortable world cruisers. Prone to rotten decks and cabin sides that are not real hard to fix, bow sprits and spars are wood and need care. I like mine.
Old 21-07-2011, 10:19   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Opinions on Mariner Ketches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
mariner ketch sailboats are good boats, i couldnt tell any mor eas i am passionate about garden designed ketches, sailing a FORMOSA.
many folks donot understand these boats-- they were made for long distance cruising and perform as they should..like heVY DISPLACWMENT KETCHES ARE SUPPOSED TO PERFORM. THEY HANDLE WIND WELL AND SEAs also. sorry about caps.
pm or email me or show up in leaky teaky yacht club, a yahoo group. is email available. yahoo group.
I see a sense of humor peaking through?
Old 21-07-2011, 10:36   #10

formosa my life i will be improving my formosa. there is a passion involved with owning these awesome boats--there is no deal breaker with garden's designs. everything is right there and doesnt need a neonatal monkey to repair. so what the decking leaks--wouldnta iffn the original owner had treated them properly. all it takes is a daily flooding with sea water to keep them from shrinking and cracking and making leaks. i truly wish i still had teakwood decking on my formosa. is best non skid known.

sense of humor and abject pain. to my armpits and shoulders now. just from using my paws. i would rather suffer pain on my formosa than lack thereof on any other boat and definitely NOT on land
Old 21-07-2011, 10:54   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

I have experience aboard a Mariner 31 ketch. In short, these are "no drama" boats. Not fast, but seakindly. The last time I was out in windy, lumpy conditions on one (for a Good Old Boat race a few years ago), the race was called because all the fin-keelers were laid over on their sides. Too bad for us, as in those conditions we actually had a shot at the silverware. Instead, we enjoyed a nice jib and jigger run back home.
Old 21-07-2011, 11:10   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

My old Mariner 35 from Far East Yachts was a Bill Garden design. Clair Oberly did all the others of the same version by copying the designs of Bill Garden. It just is too obvious to ignore.
They are great cruising boats and if my '67 Mariner 35 had had a fiberglass hull and cabin top I'd still have her today. Trouble is the Navy said I needed to go to Norfolk after living aboard her for 3 years in Hawaii and then Washington State. I couldn't take the time off to sail her through the canal otherwise I'd still have her.
Great boat with beautiful wood. A wood boat needs an onboard owner therefore she had to go. She didn't have teak decks so that was a plus.
kind regards,
Old 21-07-2011, 11:28   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha Wetsail,
I forgot to mention that if I were you I'd post your ad again with a few recent photos and a web link. She's a great boat and will sell if the price is right.
I bought my wood Mariner in '81 for $45K and sold her in '86 for $40K. Had I been able to live aboard her til she sold I would have gotten more because she would have shined.
kind regards,
Old 21-07-2011, 12:31   #14

Boat: Pearson 281

Many here will recognize this boat and these wonderful sailors:
Welcome to s/v Sereia
A Mariner 36 with some miles under her keel.
This should take you to the page about the boat. If it doesn't and you end up at the main page just go to "Past Adventures"
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 12:38   #15

Boat: private yacht always moving

Welcome to s/v Sereia

Not Found

The requested URL /home.htm was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Nice site. I like the boat. I thought you might like to know about the above problem. It happens when you click on the s/v SEREIA

http://www.svsereia.com/home.htm

Captainkj (Forum name not real name, hope that is OK to use).
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote