Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 21:20   #1

Opinions on Irwin 34 as Coastal Cruiser

I am presently on the "5 year plan" with an O'Day Mariner cutting my teeth sailing a sloop and gaining experience. I found a 1985 Irwin 34 locally which has a beautifully seductive salon and an equally seductive price tag of 8000. I'm not seriously in the market for a cruiser yet but this seems to be one to add to my look at when I'm ready list which now is limited to Hinkleys and Piersons.

My question is this: does anyone have any experience with Irwins as a coastal cruiser? I would be looking at cruising Downeast Maine, the ICW, and the Carribean. These boats seems to give you a lot of bang for the buck but I read one review from a guy about the deck separating from the hull in heavy weather which caused me serious reservations. I want to avoid buying a "Bayliner" of sailboats.

Thoughts? Other suggestions for nice aft cockpit cruisers with helm steering that suit the cruising life that price out nicely for early/mid 80's models?

thank you in advance.

Jim
Jaspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:58   #2

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea
Re: Opinions on Irwin 34 as Coastal Cruiser

I would bet there are serious problems with an Irwin for 8K. So be VERY careful. To many other good boats around to consider. If it was me I would not put an Irwin on my list.

I skippered 3 Irwin 65's over the years in the Caribbean. Took one across the Atlantic. When we went to go a second time we ended up in a yard because the bow had delaminated. I also had a rudder fall off at one point.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:36   #3

Thank you skipper. That is kind of the sense I got about the brand when I read another owner's review. I then found an online archived version of the 34 footer brochure. It was interesting---they spent a lot of time singing the praises of the Yanmar diesel they put in the boat but not a single paragraph mentioned the seaworthiness or construction of the hull or the boat's offshor capabilities.

Jim
Jaspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:58   #4

Boat: Irwin Citation 39 'Chesagansett'

An Irwin 34 would make a pretty good coastal cruiser, but you need to find out why the asking price is so low.

Irwin Yachts has info (like owners' manuals) as well as a link to Irwins for sale. I saw several 34s for sale, all for over $20K.

To be an Irwin owner, you've got to be suspicious (so you'll find the problems) and handy (to fix them).
steve_hendry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 19:33   #5

Boat: Grew up sailing Blue Jays then Lightnings, Ensign 22, Hunter 33 sailed the PNW and loved it!

Is that boat listed on line? That price is really to good to be true! I like the Irwin and would prefer the model with a shoel draft c/b if I was sailing the keys and the carribean. They also make a model with a deep fin keel. Good luck!
topfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruiser, Irwin