Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2013, 08:38   #31
Registered User
 
MBLittle's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: St Thomas, USVI
Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
Before you jump. go look at a Bristol , or an Alden , or even an older Hinckly , for just a little more money or even the same , you would have a boat that you would never doubt at sea.
I'm not sure why you say this, those are all $100k more than a Hunter 42 Passage...
__________________

__________________
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 08:39   #32
Registered User
 
MBLittle's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: St Thomas, USVI
Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
If I were to make a list of the boats to consider buying for OFFSHORE CRUISING the Hunter brand would be absolute last on this list. The construction quality and engineering is so poor no one would buy them if it were not for the fact that they are about the cheapest thing out there. If you are thinking about putting your life on the line sailing offshore do some research.
Have you sailed a Hunter 42 Passage?
__________________

__________________
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 08:43   #33
Registered User
 
MBLittle's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: St Thomas, USVI
Posts: 542
I'm admittedly fairly new to sailboats and am honestly curious why there only seem to be two camps regarding Hunters. Either love them or despise them. Very few people are in the middle.

Is this like comparing a Cadillac to a Toyota? Sure, Cadillac's are much nicer and built extremely well, but for the price, Toyota's are fantastic cars that match (or come very close) in almost every category. You'd still never see a Cadillac owner driving a Toyota...
__________________
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 08:46   #34
Registered User
 
ShaktisBoy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Palm Beach Florida
Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T
Posts: 344
Re: Opinions on Hunter Passage 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
I'm admittedly fairly new to sailboats and am honestly curious why there only seem to be two camps regarding Hunters. Either love them or despise them. Very few people are in the middle.

Is this like comparing a Cadillac to a Toyota? Sure, Cadillac's are much nicer and built extremely well, but for the price, Toyota's are fantastic cars that match (or come very close) in almost every category. You'd still never see a Cadillac owner driving a Toyota...

Yes its very much like that.
__________________
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 08:53   #35
Registered User
 
MBLittle's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: St Thomas, USVI
Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktisBoy View Post
Yes its very much like that.
I figured as much, lol. Thanks!
__________________
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 13:16   #36
Registered User
 
typhoon's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto Canada
Boat: Bristol 45.5
Posts: 945
Images: 1
Re: Opinions on Hunter Passage 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
I'm not sure why you say this, those are all $100k more than a Hunter 42 Passage...
Here's a few
1981 Bristol 45.5 Center Cockpit Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1984 Bristol 41.1 Center Cockpit Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1980 Alden 44 Aft Cockpit Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com.

1978 Hinckley 49 Hardtop Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Look at anyone of these and you will see the difference . Owners of these kinds of boats usually take very good care of them and they are built like nothing else is today, unless of course you pay large. , I think they are all Ted Hood designs.

Regards
__________________
typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 13:44   #37
Registered User
 
Gerrycooper56's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: Tayana 52
Posts: 232
I would like to know exactly what blue water means as we had a 1991 Hunter Legend 43 which is the same hull as the Passage 42 and sailed her from Jacksonville FL to Townsville in Queensland, Australia. It took a year so we weren't cruising but passage making. Didn't break anything and our best days sail was 196 miles OTG. So is crossing the Pacific not considered blue water?
__________________
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 13:45   #38
Registered User
 
ShaktisBoy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Palm Beach Florida
Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T
Posts: 344
Re: Opinions on Hunter Passage 42

I must say that 1980 Alden is a pretty boat. That said I think the Hunter will be 10 to 15 years newer and much more user friendly at anchor where most boats spend there time. Also while these are pretty boats with nice joinery there are plenty of examples of well maintained Hunters and Catalina's on the market as well. Another benefit of the Passage is easy water access via the swim steps which none of the boats above have.
__________________
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 14:04   #39
Registered User
 
MBLittle's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: St Thomas, USVI
Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktisBoy View Post
Another benefit of the Passage is easy water access via the swim steps which none of the boats above have.
For us, that's just as much a necessity as sail plan and interior layout. With a toddler and a black lab, easy on and off at anchor is a requirement, not just a plus.
__________________
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 14:05   #40
Registered User
 
MBLittle's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: St Thomas, USVI
Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrycooper56 View Post
I would like to know exactly what blue water means as we had a 1991 Hunter Legend 43 which is the same hull as the Passage 42 and sailed her from Jacksonville FL to Townsville in Queensland, Australia. It took a year so we weren't cruising but passage making. Didn't break anything and our best days sail was 196 miles OTG. So is crossing the Pacific not considered blue water?
Was the ride enjoyable too?
__________________
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 14:29   #41
Registered User
 
funjohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Currently Indiantown FL
Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"
Posts: 1,846
Thumbs down Re: Opinions on Hunter Passage 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
Here's a few
1981 Bristol 45.5 Center Cockpit Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1984 Bristol 41.1 Center Cockpit Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1980 Alden 44 Aft Cockpit Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com.

1978 Hinckley 49 Hardtop Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Look at anyone of these and you will see the difference . Owners of these kinds of boats usually take very good care of them and they are built like nothing else is today, unless of course you pay large. , I think they are all Ted Hood designs.

Regards

While I'm not a fan of any of the boats you listed (except maybe the Alden) I just had quick look at what the Hunter is going for on Yachtworld...are you kidding me? $100,000 plus for that boat? I seriously thought they would be in the $50s range and that your suggestions were way off base. I'm now firmly with your idea to look elsewhere. $100,000 can buy you a lot of boat right now.
__________________
MJSailing.com - Written Blog
Youtube MJ sailing - Vlog
funjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 14:36   #42
Registered User
 
typhoon's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto Canada
Boat: Bristol 45.5
Posts: 945
Images: 1
Re: Opinions on Hunter Passage 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
While I'm not a fan of any of the boats you listed (except maybe the Alden) I just had quick look at what the Hunter is going for on Yachtworld...are you kidding me? $100,000 plus for that boat? I seriously thought they would be in the $50s range and that your suggestions were way off base. I'm now firmly with your idea to look elsewhere. $100,000 can buy you a lot of boat right now.
I agree, $100000 is a lot of money for a Passage 42. But wow you can really buy a sweet boat for just a little more.

I am partial to New England boat builders as you can tell by my choices , My tastes have changed since I turned 50 I guess it was time to put away my International 14 and go for a boat that is more cruising oriented . Plus up here in Canada if you buy a boat that is not built in the US there is an extra 9.5 % tax on top of t he already high 13 % when I bring it home .

Regards
__________________
typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 14:39   #43
Registered User
 
UWOA's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Boat: Hunter Passage 42 - s/v Sensei
Posts: 97
Images: 1
Re: Opinions on Hunter Passage 42

I love my Hunter. No, it doesn't squeek and I've been in ten foot seas without problems, it handled nicely, though my admiral had to find the deck whenever we had to quarter in a following sea.

The vessel has been sailed in both the Pacific, the Gulf and the Atlantic,

Bottom line: mine's not for sale and I'm very happy with it.
__________________
Every day is a holiday and every meal is a banquet!
Location: Jacksonville, FL
UWOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 16:01   #44
Registered User
 
funjohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Currently Indiantown FL
Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"
Posts: 1,846
Re: Opinions on Hunter Passage 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
I agree, $100000 is a lot of money for a Passage 42. But wow you can really buy a sweet boat for just a little more.
Heck, you don't even have to spend $100,000. Heres what a quick 3 minute search brought up for center cockpits (I much prefer aft).


Norseman 447
1984 Norseman 447 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Brewer 42 (I have seen two Brewer 44s under 100k in the past)
1984 Brewer Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

This one needs a refit, but great design:

Mackintosh 47
1988 Hansa Mackintosh 47 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

There are also a few Moodys and a whole lot of Bristols in that range too. Then you also have the much superior aft cockpit boats I really wish was in the market right now and didnt purchase years ago.
__________________
MJSailing.com - Written Blog
Youtube MJ sailing - Vlog
funjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 16:11   #45
Registered User
 
ShaktisBoy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Palm Beach Florida
Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T
Posts: 344
Re: Opinions on Hunter Passage 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
While I'm not a fan of any of the boats you listed (except maybe the Alden) I just had quick look at what the Hunter is going for on Yachtworld...are you kidding me? $100,000 plus for that boat? I seriously thought they would be in the $50s range and that your suggestions were way off base. I'm now firmly with your idea to look elsewhere. $100,000 can buy you a lot of boat right now.
You guys crack me up. How is it that you believe a boat that sold new for 200k should lose 75% of its value in 20 years if its maintained? What if the owner just replaced the rig added new sails and a genset? Maybe a watermaker for extended cruising? This cost allot and retrofitting is expensive.
I maintain that a well cared for, well equiped boat is going to cost close to 6 figures unless she is ancient. Keep in mind those prices on yachtworld are asking prices and the real sale ammount will most likely be somewhat lower. Now back to the boats mentioned above, they are nice well founded boats but they wont appeal to everyone. If you only sail and and never spend a considerable ammount of time living onboard and swimming diving then the boats listed above are great. But for me there are several glaring issues that would make all of them a no go fo us.

1 athwartship berths. Im getting to old to crawl over my partner to use the head in the middle of the night. She hates being woken up while I crawl over her so for her it is a deal breaker as well.

2 . With no easy water access, swiming diving or just plain old getting back onboard if I fall over in the middle of the night is a problem. For me it seems like a no brainer, there is more safety with a swim platform and steps. Being divers we enjoy being able to launch multiple folks at a time off our cat. The hunter passage has a wide back swim step so launching two at a time seems dooable on it as well.

3. Draft. We like to get away from the beaten path and particularly in the keys and Bahamas so 5 feet was the maximum draft we would accept. The Passage barely meets this requirement.

4. Quarter berths cant stand em. Nuff said.

Flame away
__________________

__________________
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hunter

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
42: TPI Lagoon 42 Sand crab Lagoon Catamarans 38 22-08-2015 14:49
Opinions on Moody 42 Sailorman375 Monohull Sailboats 1 18-11-2011 16:59
How to Determine Boat Value via Internet (Valiant 42) ? Jd1 Dollars & Cents 28 08-09-2011 13:55
Hunter Passage 42 auto pilot failure wahoo40 Seamanship & Boat Handling 0 02-07-2011 07:23
Hunter 54 Zippidydooda Monohull Sailboats 1 11-02-2005 14:09



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:57.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.