Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-07-2014, 19:10   #31

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova
Re: Opinions on Fairweather Mariner 39 ?

Lots of excellent yachts have had window leaks.

That, alone, would not convince me to condemn any otherwise well built boat. The mast step had failed due to inadequate construction uncharacteristic of the better Taiwan yards. My project was brief and I did not have an opportunity to take more than ordinary interest in the rest of the yacht, my impression of which was rather higher than average. Seeming to be on par with the Passport's. Though this very particular owner is entirely responsible for the yacht's exceptional care and condition.

Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 20:30   #32

Boat: Fairweather Mariner/Westsail 39

I've had my FWM for about 10 years and logged about 15,000 miles in modest use (I have a day job still). Its now about 28 years old. About five years ago one of the windows on the forward side of the doghouse developed a minor leak in the corner. I rebedded it and it hasn't leaked since, the entire job took about an hour. None of the other windows or ports have ever leaked (no port lights in the hull). Anecdotally, that means exactly nothing. The fact the someone encountered one that did have leaks in the portlights also means nothing. Mine is the only FWM I'm familiar with but all in all, speaking as a professional mariner and shipbuilder, the build quality of mine is solid, about the same as Passport, Mason, Nordic, etc. If building one of these boats from a bare hull given to you for free looks like something you would enjoy and learn from, I can't see what would dissuade you, but its not the quickest or least expensive way to get out to sea in one.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:45   #33

IN the case of the estate sale FWM39 in the driveway - hey. It has 8,500 lbs of lead in the keel, unless someone did something crazy, like concrete, and if it has the engine and vee drive in it - by all means pay to haul it away. Someone mentioned the mast step? It is a keel stepped mast. Should not have any problems.
Doing the Taiwan teak interior would be ungodly expensive, but that hull could be finished in a nice simple version with marine ply and you can go sailing. I suspect that this boat is a P+M Wolrdwide built in the states as it has the forward port blanks that were later dropped from the design. I'm appalled to think it will be chopped up in place. That's asinine! I have never seen the slightest oil can flex in my FWM39 and she is built like a tank.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:56   #34

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brrabbit View Post
...Someone mentioned the mast step? It is a keel stepped mast. Should not have any problems...
...until the mast drops so far that you run out of sufficient rigging screw length to tension the rig.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:07   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

Vasco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 15:49   #36
cruiser

Boat: Choey Lee 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brrabbit View Post
IN the case of the estate sale FWM39 in the driveway - hey. It has 8,500 lbs of lead in the keel, unless someone did something crazy, like concrete, and if it has the engine and vee drive in it - by all means pay to haul it away. Someone mentioned the mast step? It is a keel stepped mast. Should not have any problems.
Doing the Taiwan teak interior would be ungodly expensive, but that hull could be finished in a nice simple version with marine ply and you can go sailing. I suspect that this boat is a P+M Wolrdwide built in the states as it has the forward port blanks that were later dropped from the design. I'm appalled to think it will be chopped up in place. That's asinine! I have never seen the slightest oil can flex in my FWM39 and she is built like a tank.
I agree I think some people want sailboat to make it around cape horn and the reality is they will never see south artic seas, its crazy what some standards are with day sailors.
Old 02-07-2014, 16:02   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post
I hate to pass up this boat, because it is now an estate sale and if no one hauls it away, it will be chopped up in place -- an inglorious end to a rare and beautiful boat. But it appears that some critical steps were skipped in the hull construction that will now be difficult to correct.

I still haven't made up my mind. Can anyone offer some encouragement that this boat can be salvaged and made seaworthy?

The cost of fitting out this boat is just not worth it. Even if you get it for nothing. A lot of sweat and money and you will end up with a one-off boat, difficult to sell. Break it up and sell the lead.
Vasco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 21:10   #38

Agreed if it has no engine. But if it has the engine and tranny in place it's valuable. The boat cruises at 6 knots on less than a gallon of diesel an hour. Make a simple power bruiser out of it, hang a hammock or two inside, and enjoy. Where is everyone's imagination?
Old 06-07-2014, 11:44   #39

Boat: Pearson Ariel, 26 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
The cost of fitting out this boat is just not worth it. Even if you get it for nothing. A lot of sweat and money and you will end up with a one-off boat, difficult to sell. Break it up and sell the lead.
Vasco, I finally came around to agreeing with your assessment. The original builder of the kit quit construction 20 years ago, there must be a reason why.

The engine is mounted facing forward and, consequently, there is no Vee drive. That places it nearly in the middle of the main cabin. The engine mount stringers took up more cabin room, and so the builder made them far too short (per the formulas in Dave Gerr's Elements of Boat Strength). The main bulkhead has no tabbing at all at the hull/cabin top joint - just a thin bead of thickened epoxy. At the very least, I'd need to tab in and let cure that joint before a crane squeezed the hull while lifting. The executor of the estate refused further access to the boat - even for inspection by a surveyor - (paid at my own expense) and that's when I bailed out.

Thanks everyone for appealing to my sanity on this!

BTW, someone here pointed out that few boats go around Cape Horn, so maybe I'm over-specifying on the boat strength. I sail offshore along the coast near San Francisco, and often around Point Conception to the south. While that's not the same challenge as rounding The Horn, it often comes pretty close. If you look at the sea-state analysis on a typical day, the Pacific just offshore of San Francisco is usually one of the roughest parts of the entire northeast Pacific. The coast here has 1,000 miles of fetch. Sailing to Hawaii from San Francisco, the roughest stretch is usually the first 100 miles. And Point Conception has rightly been called: "the Cape Horn of the Pacific." Around here -- you need a stout boat, not a delicate "Lily of the Sea."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: