Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2008, 03:57   #31

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
We have a Roberts Designed South Coast 36.
They were built in Australia in the 80's solid Fibreglass.

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 05:00   #32

Thanks Glenn ,
another interesting variation. i notice that they where built in both sloop and ketch as well. It seems that BR increased the stern sections a little after the offshores. (but still less than the "sprays"). Nice boats.

cheers
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 00:56   #33

Thanks Cooper,

They are great sea boats, the hard dodger makes things comfortable. They might not be the fastest boats on the block, but they do get you there nice & dry.

Old 17-06-2008, 00:59   #34

Hey Glenn wheres Lake Tabourie ? Does it have any water in it ? !
Old 17-06-2008, 01:05   #35

Funny you should ask, its about 12 klms south of Ulladulla NSW, yes it has water in it. Just enough for a hobie cat or sailboard. The attraction for me is the beach & the surf in the area. Have a look on Google Earth or Maps. Dandenongs? are they the mountains in Vic?

Old 17-06-2008, 18:35   #36

Hey Glenn
yep "the blue Dandenongs" some times know as "the dandyflaminbloominnongranges" The land of Puffing billy. The wonderfull geographic feature that helps to cause the tempreture inversion that traps smog over Melbourne for days at a time. Considered one of the most dangerous places in the world for bushfires. A place where the speed of trafic drops to 35 km per hour due to rubber neckin sight seeers on weekends....A lookout that reaches the dizzy height of ...gasp...600 metres above sea level. need I say more... : )
Old 18-06-2008, 05:23   #37

Annons Bil - Annonsbörsen

This boat is not for sale anymore. My friend bought it, take a look at the pics....
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 17:04   #38
cruiser

In Roberts latest book he states that he designs the skegs to fall off if they hit anything. A friend had cracks around his Roberts 53 skeg by the time he reached Aussie. Another Roberts 53 sank the night before he arrived due to skeg failure. On metalboatsociety.com this is discussed at length.
The Roberts spray is to be avoided at all cost.
People tell me that the Roberts 38 was the best design he ever came out with.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 22:58   #39

Boat: Emu,15 metre ferro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Riel View Post
In Roberts latest book he states that he designs the skegs to fall off if they hit anything. A friend had cracks around his Roberts 53 skeg by the time he reached Aussie. Another Roberts 53 sank the night before he arrived due to skeg failure. On metalboatsociety.com this is discussed at length.
The Roberts spray is to be avoided at all cost.
People tell me that the Roberts 38 was the best design he ever came out with.
Why is the spray to be avioided? It does not have a skeg hung rudder, its keel hung.
Old 19-06-2008, 03:19   #40

Now Brent.....
Quote:
. In Roberts latest book he states that he designs the skegs to fall off if they hit anything.

As a member of the MBS you are correct, obviously, in stating the "problems" and our discussions with fixing what is a major defect.

However it would be unfair to suggest that this is still a position he holds. As a designer yourself, selling plans, I am sure that you would want people to recognize you by the opinions you hold NOW not by designs that where drafted in the 80,s .

It is right of you to point out the problems with unstrengthened skegs.
It is important that you acknowledge changes of opinions.

As posted the spray is a high volume, heavy displacement cruising boat with a keel hung rudder.
Old 22-06-2008, 03:10   #41

thanks for your considered reply to my query MidLandOne.....will definitely have alook at this boat if its still for sale when we go looking. plenty to be aware of in this yachting business !! glad we've got plenty of time...............Rich
richink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 03:01   #42

My take on Roberts designs is that there are a lot on the market, simply because there were and are a lot built. Kinda like thumbing through the classifieds for a used Holden Commodore or Ford Falcon. Without being an expert, or even an armchair expert on these designs specifically, I have read many reports an articles from happy owners/ builders and others who had an opinion, and I can`t recall one which was overly damning. Sure, they have a reputation as being a good allrounder, but not really excelling at anything, but (ahem), at the risk of being `called` I believe ALL good cruising yachts should be just that. A good blend of comfort, space, stability and sea-keeping, while at the same time being nimble and slippery enough to actually get to one`s destination, without having to take long service leave to cut through 500nm. (For those of us who haven`t the fortune yet of retirement). Also, I will stand corrected if this is not true, but unless BR`s `spray` design differs greatly, I believe it was actually a fellow by the name of Slocombe, who came up with the first `spray`, and by ether good design or good luck, or perhaps even a combination, stumbled across something very close to the best long distance cruising hull design, which is still admired and emulated by boat builders and marine engineers today, even with the current benefits of C.A.D. and other modern design methods.

For mine, a reputation like BR`s doesn`t happen by accident, nor does so many years of success in the industry.

Cheers
one_day35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 03:09   #43

Oops, just read in detail the previous posts stating that BR`s ealier `spray` designs, had flaws in the keel design in that if one lost the keel, one lost the rudder. I`ll bet he wished he didn`t do that, and I`m sure it wasn`t what Mr Slocombe had in mind when he built the first `spray` from timber I might add. Again though, that was then and this is now, and I`m sure that this design flaw has since been rectified.

Cheers *hic*
one_day35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 14:30   #44

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36
Re: Opinions on Bruce Roberts designs

With all the conjecture here, I suggest that anyone needing really absolute information on this particular subject, go to Bruces website and simply ask him yourself ! He WILL reply.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 14:36   #45

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36
Re: Opinions on Bruce Roberts designs

Btw, the Ford Faicon has somewhat of a cult following, and production was more than any single boat builders/designers numbers that I'm aware of, thus , that analogy, I find hard to swallow. However I may be missing something in translation... not that that's ever happened before, hehe ! Just saying.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bruce roberts