Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-09-2012, 17:58   #16

Unhappy Re: Opinions on Bavaria Yachts

I have a Bavaria 42 Cruiser 2006. I would not buy another one as the one I bought was pooly built and the backup service has also been poor. My boat is poorly designed. Salt water pools on the leeward side and eats away at the toerail. The Rudder bearings are being replaced. The boat is slow compared to the Hunter, Bennateau, and Catalina.The gas guage packed it up. Both guages for the holding tank are shot. The hour meter on the engine does not work. I have a mast pumping problem and the boat leaks.

I would not expect a newer boat to have so many issues paticularly issues that cannot be solved. Bavaria has always sent me back to the dealer and the dealer has been somewhat helpful. I am slowly working to solve the problems at great expense (fuel guage $250.00) and I wait months for the parts.

Old 16-09-2012, 06:06   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Opinions on Bavaria Yachts

I had a 2007 Bavaria 33. throughly enjoyed it and had absolutely no problems with it. Now have a Jeanneau 40.3. why change? We're going to circumnavigate and the Bavaria is a coastal boat - no question. The Jeanneau has somewhat thicker fiberglass , the winches and all fittings are more heavy duty.

If you only coastal sail and want lots of comfort for relatively low money - the Bavaria is good deal.

If you are going "where no man has gone before" you probably should be thinking of another boat

Old 03-09-2014, 09:05   #18

I am looking at a 1984 Bavaria 35 based in Rhode Island, USA. Asking US$24,000. Any thoughts, suggestions, experience with this manufacturer and model?

I've read all the comments about Bavaria's not being a good blue ocean vessel, the price to value calculation, and Bavaria's apparently better quality the earlier the model year. We are both strong sailors with racing experience but on smaller boats (505s, J24s, etc) so this will be our first larger boat used mainly for weekend sails and the occasional overnight. We don't plan to do any blue ocean but a coastal cruise along the eastern US inter-coastal waterway popping in and out from harbor to harbor from MA to FL is highly likely. For this price we can also pay for 5-6 years of a slip which is a major factor. And she is a 1984, the only knock on the listing is the teak on the decks needs some light repair.

Comments hopefully from owners or sailors who know owners would be helpful.

Thanks.

Smithy
Old 03-09-2014, 09:29   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Smithy, some of them had deep keels, does this one fit your needs for the ICW?

Pete
Old 03-09-2014, 09:30   #20

Boat: Stevens 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfreds View Post
I have a Bavaria 42 Cruiser 2006. I would not buy another one as the one I bought was pooly built and the backup service has also been poor. My boat is poorly designed. Salt water pools on the leeward side and eats away at the toerail. The Rudder bearings are being replaced. The boat is slow compared to the Hunter, Bennateau, and Catalina.The gas guage packed it up. Both guages for the holding tank are shot. The hour meter on the engine does not work. I have a mast pumping problem and the boat leaks.

I would not expect a newer boat to have so many issues paticularly issues that cannot be solved. Bavaria has always sent me back to the dealer and the dealer has been somewhat helpful. I am slowly working to solve the problems at great expense (fuel guage $250.00) and I wait months for the parts.
Our Bayfield also pools water on each side at the toerail...as unattractive as it is, by sticking a rag in the toerail long enough to reach the "pool", it will act as a wick and drain all the pooled water over the side. Not attractive, but very, very efficient for ridding the deck of the pooled water. We use one of those brightly colored micro fibre rags......change it out once in a while when it gets grungy....consider it a "deck flag" <grin>

gunk
Old 03-09-2014, 09:59   #21

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

I would avoid Bavaria. Our neighbour in our marina has a brand new 2013 40' Bavaria & we are shocked at not only the poor quality, but also the poor designs of the boat. For example, the engine controls are under a teak board which is always in the way when you access those controls. In July a seacock broke off in his hand. In June an anode couldn't be attached to the hull because the bolt kept turning. It has skinny hull windows which don't open. I could go on, but you get the idea.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:13   #22

Thanks for the fast feedback, hope others also share their thoughts.

One reply, the boat in question is 1984. From what I have read, after Bain Capital bought Bavaria quality went down (go figure). But prior to the purchase boats made in the 1980's and early 1990's were of very good quality. You might avoid a 2002 Jaguar because they are Fords on the inside, but the 2014 models are very well built and sweet looking - reverse logic here but you get the point.

Thanks again.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:55   #23

Boat: Hunter H33 "Sweet Mango"

When you buy a 30 year old boat I don't think that the make makes much difference. It is the state of the equipment that counts. What engine, how many hours. Is the wiring shot, what condition is the anchor winch, when was the standing rigging replaced. Is the fuel tank full of crud. How old are the sails, are there any modern electronics. These are the sort of things that count and will make the difference between a dog and a good sailing boat.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 04-09-2014, 04:47   #24

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

nickc makes a good point. This is not to say a 30-year old boat may be a very good boat indeed. If the PO has maintained the boat well, it may well be better than new while far better value.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:51   #25

Boat: sunk by irma

In my opinion Bavaria Yachts has one of the dumbest names I could imagine.

Bavaria? You mean the land-locked German state in the extreme southeast of the country? That Bavaria? The one that is further from the ocean than any other German state? In the German Alps Bavaria? That borders Switzerland and Austria? That Bavaria?

Maybe a good place to build cars that go around tight curves, but ocean capable cruising boats?

The US equivalent would be to name your boat building company after a place like Montana, Wyoming, or some other state in the Rocky Mountains.

"Hey, you wanna come sailing with me on my fancy new Idaho Yacht I just got?"
Old 03-12-2014, 01:35   #26

Boat: Bavaria Vision 44

Bavaria (yes, as in the area of southern Germany) is where the Bavaria yard is located. Why then wouldn't you use that as a brand name? Now, if your problem is with a yacht-builder being located over 150 miles from the sea, go ahead and say so. But they don't sail the boats away from the factory these days you know. Sheesh!

I've never owned a Jeanneau or a Beneteau, but I've chartered plenty and raced aboard many more. From my experience (as a Bavaria Vision 44 owner, from new in 2007) they all have strengths & weaknesses, many of the latter stemming from their budget-conscious factory-style build. I'd be loathe to criticize one more than another, but I'd certainly listen more readily to criticism from someone with actual experience of the make, rather than second-hand rumour-mongering. Again, sheesh!

I've just posted a similar reply in the thread on blue-water cruising in Bavarias: '..What about the Bavaria??'. Apologies for any repetition...
Old 03-12-2014, 02:08   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Welcome aboard Harlequin,

CF is a great place to learn from those that have done it and have informative discussions about sailing (and other things LOL)

carsten

Agree with your comments on the Bavaria
Old 03-12-2014, 05:13   #28

Boat: Bavaria Vision 44

Thanks, Carsten.

We've enjoyed quite a few seasons sailing the Danish Islands - a beautiful cruising area!

Old 03-12-2014, 06:16   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Thanks, Carsten.

We've enjoyed quite a few seasons sailing the Danish Islands - a beautiful cruising area!

I've often stipulated that the Baltic is the world's premier cuising ground - too bad the seasons are a bit short
Old 03-12-2014, 06:51   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Here (EU) we have countless Bavarias. They are about same with Bene, Jeanneau, Hanse, and all the rest of the plastic fantastic crowd.

I can't say how they measure against Hunters but they may be about an equivalent.

Nothing specially good nor bad about them.

b.

Tags
bavaria

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: