Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2016, 13:27   #1

Opinions on Alerion 41 or Hanse 385 Pros & Cons

I would greatly appreciate feedback from a previous or current owner of an Alerion 41 or Hanse 385. What were your experiences with the boat, pro or con?
Trimaster61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 13:37   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Opinions on Alerion 41 or Hanse 385 Pros & Cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimaster61 View Post
I would greatly appreciate feedback from a previous or current owner of an Alerion 41 or Hanse 385. What were your experiences with the boat, pro or con?
Alerion ..... no idea.

Hanse ...... Not an owner but have surveyed quite a few.
Cons - paper thin, excessively flexible, shoddily put together (looks like an Ikea furniture designer got loose), undersized AC wiring along with a number of other questionable electrical practices, plated brass ball valves ( I refuse to call them seacocks).
Pros - Cheap.
Old 09-07-2016, 14:09   #3

Boat: Sceptre 36

Spent 7 days on a Hanse 40 a few years back. Hated it.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 14:40   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Delay View Post
Spent 7 days on a Hanse 40 a few years back. Hated it.
Can you provide details on why you hated it? Thank you.
Old 09-07-2016, 14:46   #5

Boat: Sceptre 36

2 double aft cabins were hardly big enough for singles. Interior was from IKEA, sail plan not balanced, "sailed" at anchor so much you could not tell if dragging. Hydraulic steering had no feel to it. Could go on but have chosen to forget most of the trip.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 14:55   #6

Boat: Tartan 40

Not having owned either, but consider myself knowledgeable on many different boats and designs. They are 2 completely different boats. If you want interior space with lower overall quality get the Hanse. If space on alerion is sufficient for you then it's not even a contest- get the alerion. It will sail better and hold up much better as well. Much prettier as well. Why are you comparing these two very different boats? One is of the McMansion type (Hanse) and the other is more of a custom built cottage.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 15:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Not having owned either, but consider myself knowledgeable on many different boats and designs. They are 2 completely different boats. If you want interior space with lower overall quality get the Hanse. If space on alerion is sufficient for you then it's not even a contest- get the alerion. It will sail better and hold up much better as well. Much prettier as well. Why are you comparing these two very different boats? One is of the McMansion type (Hanse) and the other is more of a custom built cottage.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Very good question and you hit on some of my thoughts when considering these boats. I have been looking for about a year at the following boats: J112e (new -test sailed this last week and I loved it....wife thought it was not comfortable enough for us to stay on for long weekends, entertain, etc.), Hanse 385 (modern - ease of sailing single handed as everything runs to the helm and self tacking jib --- good for having friends with not a lot of sailing experience or just the wife and I), Dehler 38 (performance with some cruising comforts for my wife), and XP 38 (same as Dehler, but much better made, but may be too race oriented for my wife and not as easy to sail with just the two of us). Lastly, the Alerion 41 has a balance of ease of sail, performance, but is about $200m more than the others. Looking at one tomorrow as there is a used 2014 on the market. Depreciation or value retention is very important as well. Overall, I am trying to find quality, cruising and performance with ease of sail for solo or the two of us if need be. Hard to find a combination with all these wants.....

Thanks very much for your feedback as this has been a real struggle to try to find the right boat.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:50   #8

Dehler 38 is a nice boat, reasonably well built, better than the current high production herd and is an excellent cruiser racer. Priced a bit higher than the herd but better boat in my opinion.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:46   #9

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
looks like an Ikea furniture designer got loose
What's wrong with Ikea's designs? I prefer the Ikea look over the "Irish Pub" look so many older boats have. I don't want that much dark wood in my home, why would I want it in my boat...

Quote:
undersized AC wiring along with a number of other questionable electrical practices,
What questionable practices? My experience is that European standards, where it comes to AC wiring are ahead of US practices...
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:48   #10

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Delay View Post
2 double aft cabins were hardly big enough for singles. Interior was from IKEA, sail plan not balanced, "sailed" at anchor so much you could not tell if dragging. Hydraulic steering had no feel to it. Could go on but have chosen to forget most of the trip.
Something tells me that you haven't sailed a Hanse, but do have very strong feelings about contemporary European mass produced boats... :-)
Old 12-07-2016, 14:27   #11

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimaster61 View Post

The first comparison should be price. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time I checked, the Alerion 41 would run you at least $700K. It's one of the most beautiful small boats I've ever seen, but it isn't cheap. You could probably buy three Hanse 385s for that price.

If price is no object, then go for the Alerion. You might also ask about how long you need to wait for delivery, that might greatly differ too.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 22:10   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
The first comparison should be price. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time I checked, the Alerion 41 would run you at least $700K. It's one of the most beautiful small boats I've ever seen, but it isn't cheap. You could probably buy three Hanse 385s for that price.
Make that five Hanse 385s...

As as often in such luxury products, paying five times the price doesn't give you a five times better product...
Old 14-07-2016, 07:10   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Make that five Hanse 385s...

As as often in such luxury products, paying five times the price doesn't give you a five times better product...

You are absolutely right assuming your numbers are correct. Nothing much about buying a boat makes any real financial sense to begin with so whatever we buy should make some other kind of sense. Does the Hansen set your heart fluttering when you look back at it or walk thru it? If so it might be the right choice but don't completely set quality in the back seat as when you buy high quality "you only cry once". You are going to lose money when you come to sell so more thought should be given to the joy of ownership as really, that's what it's all about.
Old 15-07-2016, 05:24   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
You are absolutely right assuming your numbers are correct. Nothing much about buying a boat makes any real financial sense to begin with so whatever we buy should make some other kind of sense. Does the Hansen set your heart fluttering when you look back at it or walk thru it? If so it might be the right choice but don't completely set quality in the back seat as when you buy high quality "you only cry once". You are going to lose money when you come to sell so more thought should be given to the joy of ownership as really, that's what it's all about.

Personally I don't see the point in buying a AWB when there are so many you can rent. But I don't see the point in buying an overpriced artwork either.
Thinking about buying I personally always end up looking at the same boat: an RM 1070...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 15-07-2016, 08:25   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Personally I don't see the point in buying a AWB when there are so many you can rent. But I don't see the point in buying an overpriced artwork either.
Thinking about buying I personally always end up looking at the same boat: an RM 1070...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Is that 1070 sort of a Pogo that is finished off to a more cruiser friendly level??