Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2010, 06:20   #1

Boat: Brewer 44
Opinions on a Westsail 32 . . . Here We Go Again !

Found a WS32 online on the hard that needs some love to be sailing again, but the price is right!

Been talking with the owner and gonna go take a look December 29th if she is still for sale.

I know WS32s have tons of space, great in a blow, poor in light air, heavy built etc. etc. etc.

But, anything to look out for while inspecting a WS32? Any special WS32 issues?

She is on the hard. The owner says she need bottom work and paint, and the bow and stern wood needs some attention among other things.

No teak decks. YAY!!! Inside cabin looks great.
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 06:28   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Extremely variable what to look for since many were sold as kits in different stages of completion.

Thing that would worry me the most would be the decks. Even without teak I think they were all glass over plywood. Check for moisture and delamination in the decks. That's one that would be really hard/expensive/time consuming to fix.

Next make sure mast is good. I would plan on replacing the rigging just in case.

Of course engine. If sitting on the hard for a long time is it frozen up?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 06:31   #3

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober
Original bowsprit arrangement tends to rot. Bolts going through for pulpit is bad engineering. Dis colored ply behind leaky portlights.
These are little things in the big pic. Gotta judge Westsail by its' fans, not its' detractors.
bruce smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 06:32   #4

Boat: seawind II Patience
Not again.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 07:00   #5

I know the bowsprit has some rot. I plan on replacing all the rigging and chain plates on any boat older then 20 years that I buy.

Thanks for the deck advice.
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Old 30-11-2010, 07:17   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Also check the bolts holding the bobstay fitting on the bow. A buddy bought a WS 32 and found the bolts almost eaten away from crevice corrosion.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 07:39   #7

The bow and stern wood concerns me, as they are wood 10 years older then I am.

I have done some research online about replacing the bow spirt with wood, aluminum, and stainless. When it comes out, so will all the hard ware.

She has a 25 hp Ferryman diesel. Will crank her over to make sure she spins, and inspect under the oil pan for rust and leaks.
Old 30-11-2010, 08:09   #8

If you really want the down low you should get in touch with Bud Taplin. You can find his contact info on the westsail owners site. Westsail.org. Also ask the community there and they can help. I have the "mini-survey" criteria used by Bud saved from when we bought our w32, if you can't get in touch with anyone else, email me privately and I'll send it your way.

Personally I would get oil samples from the engine after its been run rather than just inspecting for rust or making sure she spins.

As a side note, 25hp is weak for a 20k lb boat. I'd plan on being very proficient with sails or replacing that engine eventually if you plan on doing any real motoring or if you intend on using your motor in storm conditions for safety.

W32s have enormous amounts of documentation online. Use google, westsail.org and the search here on this site and you'll probably get all your answers without needing more answers in this particular thread.
Old 30-11-2010, 08:17   #9

Boat: Westsail 32 - Soon to be renamed RodeTrip
I am a newish Westsail 32 owner, and so far I have been very happy with my choice. Have you seen Bud Taplin's website? I have had some e-mail contact with him since purchasing the boat, and he truly is the expert. He also has put together a manual that addresses Westsail specific problems like the bowsprit and boomkin that you are concerned about. I have some pics of my boat on my blog, feel free to take a look.

Check for deck compression under the mast.
You already know about the boomkin and bowsprit.
RodeTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 08:23   #10

Yes I have looked at his website, and looking into getting the manual and joining the association once I view the boat next month.
Old 30-11-2010, 08:35   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
the engine is a smallone and is really only needed to get into and out of tight spaces and goose ye in a storm.. they work....i was looking at a beauty of an abandoned one here in sin diego a whill eback-- was and is a beauty. check thru hulls--originals were groco rebuildable units. make sure they are free and easy to move. if not-- use a spray or lube to see if they will free up BEFORE splashing. check coach house around hatches overhead-- can be leakage. check the aries windvane for movement-- may have frozen. should have one -- many did on original sale. check the water tankage before filling-- try to put some water in-- some leak at corners. check all the ports-- they are also rebuildable if they leak
new rubber gaskets are inexpensive.l
you will not be disappointed in a wetsnail unless you are a die hard racer. gooodluck and have fun!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 08:38   #12

Boat: Westsail 32 - Soon to be renamed RodeTrip
Beware of the boomkin stay tang bolted to the hull on pre 1975 Westsails. On the later model Westsails the tang width was increased from 1 to 1 1/4". This point has been a failure point on some older Westsails.
RodeTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 16:15   #13

I have been reading up on Bud's website on a few issues over the years.

He says the engine is a Ferryman 25, I think that means 25hp, but could be a model number.
Old 30-11-2010, 17:09   #14

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I had a Westsail 32 for many years, and I loved it except when going to windward. Come to think of it, I don't like going to windward in my catamaran either.

I always felt safe in my Westsail 32 when I sailed in the Caribbean. Very tough yacht. I wouldn't mind having another one. The first thing I would do with a Westsail would be to put a 45 hp diesel onboard, check the chainplates, rerig, and then sail it like a bat out of hell. You can push these boat really hard -- at least I did. I pushed it much harder than I pushed my catamaran.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote